Vercours dash!!

bazman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well had to visit family in France to help them out. So decided to take the GSA to help scratch an itch .. the itch being the Col de lava and Col de la machine which I was supposed to do in the summer after the Alps trip. Cut to the story, a ride down to Ashford to stay the night last Saturday at a mates before the tunnel in the morning. Decided to cut across country from the Border ( Carlisle ) down the m6 to do the Snake pass then carry on down the east side yo! ! Sunday entailed a early start and paeage to get to St Martin de Valence where I was enconsed for the evening in a cheap but perfectly adequate Premiere Classe hotel. Monday and was up and at them with the larks (why is it when you are away you can never lie in, even when ? ) First port of call was the col de laval and balcony road with the famous tunnel photo you always see. Truly is a stunning place with fabulous views and sun was shining over the peaks.
Onwards to a village called Die the route I had taken was similar to the one the Ride magazine lads carried out. But me being me went the opposite direction which kept the bike and moi close to the mountain and not the scarily small wall which kept you from the precipice and a certain death should you decide to explore further
That successfully completed onto the Col de la Machine ...one word WOW puts the fun into biking big style with switchbacks, alpine twistys and scenery jaw dropping, the Autumnal colour of the trees and foliage are something else. Had to stop for a while to take it all in!!
Also came across a museum dedicated to the resistance fighters of ww2 and unfortunately was closed as is much of France on a Monday! Which was just as well as had to hightail it across to Limoges area on D roads for the end of the day. 30 degree heat in the middle of October and I became pretty dehydrated, totally my own fault as pressing on and not enough water breaks.
A pretty intense 3 days from Scotland and high mileage, but had the perfect tool for the job
Here's some snaps I took on my phone , came out quite well I thought.
Cheers Baz.
4d0366ff1a74a0fba70ca14bb7013b06.jpg
eade5230bdfe7013745e41bbe1b09416.jpg
3ba888f7a26dd176babd11c6b558069e.jpg
2eba90ebcec2a026752bd9c55d4eeee1.jpg
a6369a2c88f7943484ab5f034fbe61cf.jpg
48ab5e1fbbddeca5817c920d6139bfd9.jpg
00e5767fe85e7c888a4163d39cd45af3.jpg
6b6044df3aac9a6ef401c8ac19c684b8.jpg
087841f5ceb0864d904b6d59a7dfa42e.jpg
428901bca2da2ef3c1f6f4567b401449.jpg
13d83e8a0faeade705a02cf5c3bea773.jpg
da6f6f19ce224b87714e102d388f951e.jpg
99bcc4ae2c29e428d2b005dd0493264b.jpg
053ff10f7cc1113157d690f6b11ff73b.jpg
ac9041c02e7e355f3bee5d3253d61b5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great ride ... great piccies Baz :thumb

I'm in to photography .... but an iPhone is all you need :D

:beerjug:

The Vercours is cool :) stopping there next year on our way down to and return from Castellane
Could have done with more time to explore properly, enjoy !

Thank you, an old samsung waterproof s5, takes a good piccie !!

Nice trip, nice pics... looks stunning, and no better machine to do it on imo...

Good pics

If I’m not mistaken, the museum is at or very near to La Chapelle en Vercors, it’s a shame it was closed, it’s very good

The castle on the table top mount is Polignac, taken from the road to Clermont Ferrand just outside Le Puy en Velay

Good pics

If I’m not mistaken, the museum is at or very near to La Chapelle en Vercors, it’s a shame it was closed, it’s very good

The castle on the table top mount is Polignac, taken from the road to Clermont Ferrand just outside Le Puy en Velay

Correct mate, looking to get back next year to explore properly so will pay the museum a proper vist :thumby:

Excellent :thumby:
I'm hoping to head down that way next year and do as many of the Balcony Roads as we can manage in the time that we have.
Most if not all are listed here; http://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/france/4467-balcony-roads-in-france.html
Great pics.
(Amazingly the first two look just like the Snake!):blast:D
Cut to the story, a ride down to Ashford to stay the night last Saturday at a mates before the tunnel in the morning. Decided to cut across country from the Border ( Carlisle ) down the m6 to do the Snake pass then carry on down the east side yo! !
:D

Hi Bazman, cracking trip and fotos 👍👍
Third foto from the top you can just make out a brass plate on the tree in the foreground, me and a few mates were there in June and fixed the plaque to the tree in memory of one of our pals who died in a bike accident a couple of years back. Its become a bit of a ritual now and we do something similar on all our trips. Brought a smile (and a tear) to know its still there. Thanks for that,
Steve.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 397
Hi Bazman, cracking trip and fotos ����
Third foto from the top you can just make out a brass plate on the tree in the foreground, me and a few mates were there in June and fixed the plaque to the tree in memory of one of our pals who died in a bike accident a couple of years back. Its become a bit of a ritual now and we do something similar on all our trips. Brought a smile (and a tear) to know its still there. Thanks for that,
Steve.

What a lovely remembrance for your mate fella, sorry to say I never saw it until you mentioned. But what a place to use, will defo do a return visit next year and get a closeup if still there.
Cheers all the best , Baz.

Or a Samsung galaxy S6.... ;)

Cracking piccies...

Back
Top Bottom