Maps on SD card. I’m intrigued......

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 64Gb card in my Nav V and this is fine for my European maps.
I recently bought a USA map on a card from Oldrat of this parish and it struck me that it would be a good idea to copy these maps onto the big card. It put them in a sub folder of the Maps folder on the card but in fact, as the filenames don’t clash with any of the Euro maps, I can put them anywhere on the card without any conflict.

With the maps there, Basecamp can read and display them just fine BUT the Nav V can’t or won’t access them at all. I’ve tried everything I can think of, including renaming my SD card to the same name as the USA one but to no avail.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter a fig as I’ll just swap the SD cards over when I need to but I’m intrigued as to how Garmin have this nailed down.

Anybody know?

You could try this, rename the gmapsupp.img files to something else eg gmapsupp1,img and gmapsupp.img by adding the one (1) but keeping the naming format you should in theory be able to see both mapsets, so to be clear call one mapset gmapsupp1.img and the other gmapsupp.img this will apply to the mapsets on the card, if you have another mapset with the same name anywhere else on the unit you will need to alter the one that has the same name on the card to something different, try it if it does not work just rename name them back to what they were, nothing lost in trying.

Plug the NAV V into the PC| and check in Basecamp its showing the maps as registered Ive a feeling moving them to another card may alter the registration process.

You could try using JaVaWa GMTK (free) to move the maps from the original USA SD to another card. I use it for copying registered maps from one PC to another because it also automatically copies the unlock files. - I copy maps from my 'main' PC to a little cheapo netbook PC which I take on tour.

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

It used to be that the max size card for a Nav 5 was 32GB

HAs that changed ?

If not that may be the problem

I read that too - although the Nav manual says 64gb there are lots of online articles about issues with going over 32gb

This is from Garmin with regards to formatting the card for the Navigator

Largest size microSD card a BMW Navigator V and VI will accept
The largest capacity microSD card for use in the BMW Navigator V and VI is a 64 GB card. The microSD must be formatted to FAT32(1)and the software on the BMW Navigator V must be up-to-date for the card to be recognized.

1It is standard practice for microSD card manufacturers to format 64 GB microSD cards to exFAT. A separate memory card reader must be used to format the card to FAT32.

You could try using JaVaWa GMTK (free) to move the maps from the original USA SD to another card. I use it for copying registered maps from one PC to another because it also automatically copies the unlock files. - I copy maps from my 'main' PC to a little cheapo netbook PC which I take on tour.

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
That looks like a very useful set of utilities :D

I seem to remember that Garmin 'do something ' to their mapping programs to prevent them being copied.

Back
Top Bottom