Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ill fated Alps trip.

opinionated, me? Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    Great report, glad it all eventually worked itself out and your mate is ok, just a bit of a heads up on the RED CIRCLE with Motorbike inside, it is just telling you no 2 wheel vehicules allowed from 10pm until 06.00am, this is common in Germany and a lot of places now to keep the noise down, thanks to the loud pipes save lives brigade,
    We thought it meant that, but weren't sure why. Cheers.
    Mark
    Just when you've got this rat race licked, here come faster rats!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I go skiing near Timmelsjoch and love the Dolomites - especially Cortina.

Sorry to hear about the accident. What happened and is all now sorted?

Very nice.

If you went through Cortina, you must have done Passo di Giau - one of my favourites. Hope your mate heals soon!

(Mellors ... Don't ever have a pop at my photography again .... )

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperman View Post
    Sorry to hear about the accident. What happened and is all now sorted?
    A momentary lack of concentration? Sat nav on flat bars instead of up in front of you like mine? Andy remembers nothing, knocked himself out on the rear pillar of the car. I saw it from 100 yards back ( fecking unpleasant I can tell you) and have it on video. Nothing conclusive as to reason, but the facts are that the car had stopped to turn left, and at between 35 and 40 mph Andy's brakes only came on a fraction of a second before he hit the car. Badly broken arm, two broken bones in his hand, two dislocated toes. The arm is not healing well, and he is still off work and unable to use it properly.
    Mark

Some nice photos in there Mark, thanks.

All the best to your mate Andy, hope his recovery goes well.

JimmyMac

Quote Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
    A momentary lack of concentration? Sat nav on flat bars instead of up in front of you like mine? Andy remembers nothing, knocked himself out on the rear pillar of the car. I saw it from 100 yards back ( fecking unpleasant I can tell you) and have it on video. Nothing conclusive as to reason, but the facts are that the car had stopped to turn left, and at between 35 and 40 mph Andy's brakes only came on a fraction of a second before he hit the car. Badly broken arm, two broken bones in his hand, two dislocated toes. The arm is not healing well, and he is still off work and unable to use it properly.
    Mark
    Really sorry to hear that. How did he get home and is the bike back?

That video must take some watching!

I remember rolling off Timmelsjoch into Italy towards Lake Garda. There was an unloaded HGV giving it the beans. He must have known the road but even so he was flying. We just kept behind him and enjoyed the free pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Very nice.

If you went through Cortina, you must have done Passo di Giau - one of my favourites. Hope your mate heals soon!

(Mellors ... Don't ever have a pop at my photography again .... )
    Yes, we did, and most excellent it was too!
    Are you talking about my photography, or the photograph of me?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperman View Post
    Really sorry to hear that. How did he get home and is the bike back?

That video must take some watching!
    His wife and son helped him back when the hospital deemed him fit to fly. Two hour taxi ride to the airport, then flight to Manchester. Not the most comfortable of trips. Andy paid for the return as walking wounded, after talking to his insurers. Not exactly sure of the outcome of that.
    The crash happened outside an accident repair workshop, ironically. The owner was very helpful, dragging the bike and assorted bits into storage, allowing me to take detailed photos a couple of days later, letting us know when the insurance had sent a courier to pick it up. Andy and I pored over the photos while he was in hospital, and came to the same conclusion that the insurers did when they got it back into this country. Written off. Andy agreed a figure with them which he felt was fair.
    The SD card which has the accident on it is in my drawer. I have watched it in slow motion numerous times for details and to answer questions, without a problem. If I watch it at normal speed I feel sick.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
    Yes, we did, and most excellent it was too!
    Are you talking about my photography, or the photograph of me?
    Mark
    Yes Larry was jumping to some conclusions there
    KEA

Ha ha ... I think next holiday Mellors should lend you one of his cameras Mark ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

enjoyed reading that......bit of a sickener about ya buddy...never good to see a biker down......at least he came back in a plane and not a box....hope hes up n running asap...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPI[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]C]

Enjoyed that and hope that your mate is much better soon.

Great RR, hope the recovery is going well

Quick update. Holiday Insurance reimbursed the flight costs of Andy and family getting home. His arm is still nowhere near fit to use properly 5 months down the line, good job his employer has a decent sick pay! He's been doing a lot of walking, and is building up to getting out on a pushbike again. Takes a lot longer to heal now we are teenagers no longer (in body anyway!)
    Mark

Hi

For what it is worth I took out a recovery insurance with Start Rescue which cost me £54 for a year. Had an accident in Morocco which cost them £3,100 to get my bike home and they also paid me £125 towards my fare home. When I brought a new bike which had a years rescue included in the price they transferred the cover to my car for free.

Derek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12