Ill fated Alps trip.

Some nice photos in there Mark, thanks.

All the best to your mate Andy, hope his recovery goes well.

JimmyMac

A momentary lack of concentration? Sat nav on flat bars instead of up in front of you like mine? Andy remembers nothing, knocked himself out on the rear pillar of the car. I saw it from 100 yards back ( fecking unpleasant I can tell you) and have it on video. Nothing conclusive as to reason, but the facts are that the car had stopped to turn left, and at between 35 and 40 mph Andy's brakes only came on a fraction of a second before he hit the car. Badly broken arm, two broken bones in his hand, two dislocated toes. The arm is not healing well, and he is still off work and unable to use it properly.
Mark

Really sorry to hear that. How did he get home and is the bike back?

That video must take some watching!

I remember rolling off Timmelsjoch into Italy towards Lake Garda. There was an unloaded HGV giving it the beans. He must have known the road but even so he was flying. We just kept behind him and enjoyed the free pass.

Very nice.

If you went through Cortina, you must have done Passo di Giau - one of my favourites. Hope your mate heals soon!

(Mellors ... Don't ever have a pop at my photography again .... :D )

Yes, we did, and most excellent it was too!
Are you talking about my photography, or the photograph of me? :D
Mark

Really sorry to hear that. How did he get home and is the bike back?

That video must take some watching!

His wife and son helped him back when the hospital deemed him fit to fly. Two hour taxi ride to the airport, then flight to Manchester. Not the most comfortable of trips. Andy paid for the return as walking wounded, after talking to his insurers. Not exactly sure of the outcome of that.
The crash happened outside an accident repair workshop, ironically. The owner was very helpful, dragging the bike and assorted bits into storage, allowing me to take detailed photos a couple of days later, letting us know when the insurance had sent a courier to pick it up. Andy and I pored over the photos while he was in hospital, and came to the same conclusion that the insurers did when they got it back into this country. Written off. Andy agreed a figure with them which he felt was fair.
The SD card which has the accident on it is in my drawer. I have watched it in slow motion numerous times for details and to answer questions, without a problem. If I watch it at normal speed I feel sick.
Mark

Ha ha ... I think next holiday Mellors should lend you one of his cameras Mark ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

enjoyed reading that......bit of a sickener about ya buddy...never good to see a biker down......at least he came back in a plane and not a box....hope hes up n running asap...

Enjoyed that and hope that your mate is much better soon.

Quick update. Holiday Insurance reimbursed the flight costs of Andy and family getting home. His arm is still nowhere near fit to use properly 5 months down the line, good job his employer has a decent sick pay! He's been doing a lot of walking, and is building up to getting out on a pushbike again. Takes a lot longer to heal now we are teenagers no longer (in body anyway!)
Mark

Hi

For what it is worth I took out a recovery insurance with Start Rescue which cost me £54 for a year. Had an accident in Morocco which cost them £3,100 to get my bike home and they also paid me £125 towards my fare home. When I brought a new bike which had a years rescue included in the price they transferred the cover to my car for free.

Derek

Two years ago! :eek:
A lot of positives in the last few months. We are going to Iceland with Timolgra next week, Andy having found his mojo, dusted it off, and grabbed hold of the bars again.
:thumb
Mark

Two years ago! :eek:
A lot of positives in the last few months. We are going to Iceland with Timolgra next week, Andy having found his mojo, dusted it off, and grabbed hold of the bars again.
:thumb
Mark

Good to hear, thanks for the update.

Good on him, must have been a hard decision to make IF he didn't have full family support.

Good on him, must have been a hard decision to make IF he didn't have full family support.

I did ask his missus on the quiet before Tim and I started plotting Andy's rehab, "Do you want me to try and get him back on a bike?"
"Oh god yes please!" she replied. :D
Mark

I did ask his missus on the quiet before Tim and I started plotting Andy's rehab, "Do you want me to try and get him back on a bike?"
"Oh god yes please!" she replied. :D
Mark

Well done Mark, he's back :)

So this is what you were referring to when I bumped into you the other day Mark , I hope you all have a great trip :thumb2

I’m slightly confused by a comment in one of the early posts though where you refer to Andy as your oldest friend ......surely Tim must be your oldest friend ? :D

Good old Facebook reminded me that the accident was three years ago today. It was too late, was out on the pusbikes with Andy and two of the others who started that trip with us last night, so we had already marked the anniversary with a beer.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom