Throttle jamming WIDE OPEN

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It was perfect. I changed oil and filter and looked at plugs (they had supplied the wrong ones - took the old ones out, cleaned them and put them back in again when I found out the number was right, they sent 'A's instead of 'B's....what a palaver!)

Anyway, having got the entire airbox etc off....put it all back together and the throttle was wide open. Took it all off again and checked routing of throttle cable. It was caught in the quadrant that opens the butterfly. Simple. Made sure all was lined up and screwed it back together. Perfect....done about 500 miles and suddenly, yesterday, the throttle took control of itself on a right hander and went to WOT again, without warning. Thankfully I maintained conrtrol and stopped her. On the stand it was fine, until I turned the bars to the RIGHT, then it picked up again - WHY? Why has it suddenly tightened the throttle cable up? Anyone any experience of what is likely to have snagged and how to avoid it happening again please - before spend another 2 hours taking the panels and stuff off and back on again, 2 or 3 times! :thumb

Maybe it got kinked when you worked on it previously and its catching on the outer sheath?

The cable routing is the most likely culprit. I've had this issue, in similar circumstances, and it was the routing.

I can't remember if you are on a Challenge or Country. The throttle cable for the challenge is slightly longer than the one on the country so that may give you other options if you can't find the problem.

I agree it will be the routing - I would suggest holding the outer cable at the throttle body end and at the throttle grip end and see if you can move it slightly back and forward , I seem to remember you should have some movement - if not it is likely trapped on something .......

Pls check the throttle route, had the same issue when turning the handle bar to the right.
A wide arc from the throttle grip to the left side of the steering column; from the welded 'V' where the hole is under the air box.

I'll see if I can get to it this weekend - got to be ready to go tomorrow and Saturday. All is good except turning in a very tight spot.

Came across this thread as I searched for throttle cable ......I too have the throttle opening on right lock. Not a great issue in normal use, but seems I get almost full throttle on full right lock - as I do a U-turn having missed a turning. I'm guessing I need to check routing and maybe after my recent home service I have refitted the airbox and either kinked the cable or disturbed it from its optimal routing. Any other tips......seems quite a common issue with the Xcountry.

Talking of bars lock to lock - I did just that on weekend with bike on lift so froint was off ground. Fell to the left easily, and whenever left centered or even just right of centre, bars feel to the left. Not sure whats going on there. Maybe its the weight of the disc and caliper.

Still got the throttle accelerating on right hand lock. Am guessing its cable routing but no idea what the routing should be - does anyone know and could advise? Thanks.

Thank you. I will have a look and try to optimise the route. German cousins seem to cable-tie the cable. Im not sure what they tie to or with, but I will investigate. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom