F650GS Twin 2010 Rocker Cover Gasket Leaks

windsurfer

Reaction score
In the process of checking the valve clearances found oil leaks from the cover gasket and the holding down screws. Much has been recorded about this failing and potential solutions. Believe I have seen some reference to the screws being modified but the screws supplied in the BMW gasket set are identical with existing. There is a significant difference in the actual gaskets themselves, they are approx. 1mm thicker which should result in a tighter squash when torqued down. The numbers embossed on the old and new outer Rotax gaskets are: 630561new and 630562 new. and for the inners are: 631570 old and 631571 new. Rainbow BMW Rotherham were extremely helpful and posted out in double quick time excellent service. Now optimistic that the leaky rocker cover seal will be history.

My 08 model had a slight weep and when I replaced the gasket I used a little clear engine silicone sealant and never had a problem again in 20,000 miles, so might be worth using :thumb2

Just a thought - when small leaks like this happen, with a 360 twin so both pistons rising/falling together, I always think excess crankcase pressure (accepting the design issue here).

This has to vent somehow, so it's usually a good idea to check out the engine breathers/airbox. The presence of oil or condensate in the airbox may suggest other issues emerging.

Back
Top Bottom