G310GS first impressions

BMW stylists have missed the mark with the G310GS , the Rally Raid incarnation is so much cooler

Attachments

• bmw 310gs.jpg
    bmw 310gs.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 1,005
  • bmw 310 rally raid.jpg
    bmw 310 rally raid.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,963
BMW stylists have missed the mark with the G310GS , the Rally Raid incarnation is so much cooler
All very well, but this is a very attractive little bike and if you want an individual paint scheme it would still not be an expensive bike. I like the look of the screen but, having survived the winter I really am not sure that it is necessary.
Make no mistake, this bike is something special. As you will see from the Australian video I think it would ' see off' most riders on the 1200's once you leave the tarmac.
I really think that BMW are playing down this machine as perhaps too many of us would choose it in preference to a larger GS. This is my 5th GS and I am delighted.

Since posting this morning I've been at a BMW dealer and discussing this bike and apparently a GSA version with spokes etc may very well be in the pipeline !

If only it were a 500. Why 310? Is it to fit some European insurance bracket or something?

I do notice a big swing to smaller, lighter bikes from people who have otherwise hustled behemoths around.

saw one at Newlands Corner a few weeks back. It looked much taller and bigger than I expected a 300 to look. I fore-took it for a larger, adventure style bike. Looked cool, but I was really surprised it was only a 300

If it was a 500 it would mean more power, more weight, then you start beefing every thing up and you’re not far off a 650, but maybe if they become very popular someone will do a big bore kit
Ride one let us know what you think, you have had a 1150 and you have a 650 you will be surprised at the lightness, speed and handling

Sorry, this is a reply King Rat (but I didn’t press reply with quote)

If it was a 500 it would mean more power, more weight, then you start beefing every thing up and you’re not far off a 650, but maybe if they become very popular someone will do a big bore kit
Ride one let us know what you think, you have had a 1150 and you have a 650 you will be surprised at the lightness, speed and handling

Sorry, this is a reply King Rat (but I didn’t press reply with quote)

It's Ok, I am sure we all understood. I was looking long and hard at the CCM 450 Adventure at the bike show a couple of years ago, but I wasn't sure about the 450 even. It seems to be under a quite high state of tune to get the horsepower out of it. I am a bit wary of things that are under stress, for their longevity factor. So, while the little bike might make say, 85mph wringing it's neck, to me that would mean cruising at 70 is still too much stress to put it under and so 60 would be a more realistic, long term figure (numbers out of the air by way of example). I have a very lightweight 650 in the Xcountry, it is superb and even though it is supposed to make 53hp, I bet it doesn't. :rolleyes: It runs out of puff at 88mph, I tried it the other day on a good dry road and the air was cold, so getting a good solid breath of air down its lungs. I only cruise long distance at 63-65 to take the stress off this motor. That is why I was thinking 300 is too small (I thought the 450 was too small, but otherwise I loved the CCM) Perhaps I am just totally out of touch and my ability.

Looking back, my Morini was only 344cc, but that did OK, although expectations were lower and again, 65 was an easy cruising speed that didn't do any damage. I got 187,000 miles out of that one before selling it on - it is still going strong and in the MRC.

I've been lucky enough to have put a few hundred miles on a demo bike (it was meant to be more but weather (the various Beasts from the East), work, travel and life in general conspired against me) with a view to purchase one rather than an F800GS for an overseas trip I'm planning at the start of 2019. End result is that I've bought one and preparing to enhance it further with Rally Raid's kit. In truth it's the Rally Raid kit that has convinced me as I've not got the upper body strength to pick up a F800GSA repeatedly and the F800GSA at bike does not seem that much less bulky than the R1200GS I ride normally (apologies if I've now upset GSA fans - it's a great bike but too much for what I have planned). The "standard" F800GS was going to be my pick but when I saw the G310GS emerge in the news and heard about Rally Raid's developments I got sucked into the smaller is better. I started out riding 250cc and 400cc road bikes so had some idea what I was letting myself in for regards (lack of) torque etc.

My observations on the G310 are based on riding a long list of Hinckley Triumphs, a Honda VFR, before migrating inexorably to BMW (R1100S, R9T, F650GS Dakar and R1200GS).
I was 5'11" but am probably only 5'10" now after a long lie down on a slope.
32" inside leg.
Weight: 11 stone.

Riding position is good but I prefer a little more room seat-to-peg. The bars need a twist up to set them "just so" for me, but in truth I sat on it for couple of hours without any discomfort at all.
It is happiest on the back roads where it is absolute hoot. You worry so much less about the surface conditions as the bike tracks really well and changes direction so easily you end up watching more of the world around you ... and that's not just because you are travelling more slowly. I took the big GS round the same route after taking the little one out for a 30 mile A, B and unclassified route and there was naff all in the loop time - even though the 1200 does allow you to overtake at will and the 310 has reminded me all about planning. :) [I should point out that was was not a "time trial" but just a Rospa-esque type ride (I'm not up to the standard I once was ...) with the duration noted for each loop]

The brakes are adequate but certainly like the bite of the bigger GS - but that's going to be an advantage off road so no issue there. Suspension was pretty good on road and I only went up a simple dirt track as the bike wasn't mine and it handled it really well. No issues at all. I was actually surprised by the grip from the stock tyres in the cold conditions. I'm an off road novice though (done one day's training and then only played on easily accessible and rideable tracks) so training myself in the future for more demanding off road adventures is on the list.

If you look on other forums, you see the various gripes about the rear brake lever and the front levers being too long etc. but there is nothing fundamentally wrong given the design brief and price point. Shorty levers on the bars will sort that but I will admit to looking forward to what the Rally Raid team work out for the rear brake lever. It's OK as is but could be better.
But these are really minor points. Even the short screen I think suits the bike in terms of what is was targeted at. Sitting at what I thought was it's happy speed on road (60-ish indicated) it thrummed away quite the thing and let you enjoy the world around you. And returned 72 mpg according to the trip computer but I never actually checked with mileage vs. pump.

I'll let you know how I get on when I get the Rally Raid kit onto my own and then do a comparison. As ever, the bike will be more capable than me, but at least I know I won't have it to worry about ... :)

@ SilverSurferToo, would you mind telling us what RR kit you will be fitting? Thanks.

@ SilverSurferToo, would you mind telling us what RR kit you will be fitting? Thanks.

No worries sir. The plan is to go for the Level 2 suspension kit, tubeless wheels, Fat bars and risers with appropriate screen etc., the engine guard and Scorpion exhaust. And sundries. And if the missus asks - it's "only" a £5k bike. :)

Sounds great. Any idea on a timescale?

Sounds great. Any idea on a timescale?
As and when it becomes available. The plan had been to fit major components to the clean, unused bike and take plenty of pictures but it might turn out I'll run it in and then fit the kit. After this week I'm away with work for a week or two, so it's looking like a May build.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Good luck with it. I shall look forward to hearing of your progress.��

The 310GS not getting much response here so this thread (esp the ref to Rally Raid mods) is of particular interest ~ but any progress? Anyone?

I've responded to your PM sir, but for the benefit of the folks here, the base bike is at my home and there is an ever increasing pile of boxes from Rally Raid beside it. However, I have an ailing mother back in Norn Iron I'm helping to support, so progress on the bike is slow. It does need to get a wriggle on as I need to ship it in October for our planned adventure ....

Rode the rally raid 310 a little while ago and was blown away by it. Really good fun off road and very confidence inspiring. Rally raid have down a fantastic job and I’m currently seriously contemplating getting a second hand 310 and slowly buy the rally raid kit....

OK, so a bit of an update ... the build is underway but I've got to say thanks to my local dealer who has stepped in as I'm running around a lot between work (to pay for the trip) and trips over to Norn Iron to visit my mother. So what you're looking at here is the work of Stevie - who has been brilliant and keeping me involved either by calling me in at key points or giving me a call and sending some pics. Most of these I took on a visit after Stage 1. I'm disappointed in myself as, while I had never intended to do the forks myself, the rest I wanted to do to see how it all went together so I knew what went where. I also to show that an average bloke who used to service his own cars etc. could build this.

Anyway, my input so far has been minimal - none whatsoever for the front forks that I was keen to at least observe - but here goes anyway.

First up ... the engine guard. Well made, and Rally Raid have already modified even this very initial Production version to make it easier to fit. Mine went on with no problems. Ignore the incorrect nuts and bolts on the pictures of the upper mounts, these were used to see how it all lined up before the correct ones were used. Yes, some careful manoeuvring was required to ease it into position, but once on, it seems to be ideal. and the detail is very, very good. The last photo does indeed show the radiator guard and yes ... there is a fork leg missing. Call it a unique perspective.

Attachments

• DSC_4056s.jpg
    DSC_4056s.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 979
  • DSC_4058s.jpg
    DSC_4058s.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 988
  • DSC_4069s.jpg
    DSC_4069s.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 961
  • DSC_4071s.jpg
    DSC_4071s.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • IMG-20180704-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20180704-WA0005.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 990
So to the rear ... rear wheel out, Exhaust off to be replaced by the Scorpion system. As the bike is brand new I now understand how the Haynes manual gets away with saying "Simply unbolt ...." ;)

Anyway, Rally Raid do provide the required spanner to remove the exhaust header nuts (see below) that are not as delicate as they look. I'm not convinced that replacing these with something more standard is not a good idea - but I must make a mental note to get some spares for the trip ... just in case ... that way I'll definitely not need them. Anyway, the only "tight" spot is the O2/CO2 sensor cable. You'll see below where it seem to be a bit "tight" but it's not under any stress. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Of course the main purpose is weight saving ... the fact that it sounds like a proper single now is entirely coincidental. (Note: I will try to get a recording/video of that ....)

You will have noticed that I only took the pictures after the shock was on ... that's next.

Attachments

• IMG-20180704-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20180704-WA0007.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 1,049
  • DSC_4066s.jpg
    DSC_4066s.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 961
  • DSC_4068s.jpg
    DSC_4068s.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 973
  • DSC_4074s.jpg
    DSC_4074s.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 953
Next up was the rear shock ... a thing of beauty. I've fitted HyperPro shocks to previous bikes as I'm generally a bit light for the standard set-up of most machines out there (exception being a Street Triple R I had), but with bikes like the original Speed Triple, Sprint ST, Honda VFR (apologies for the bad language) I've always tended to fit a Progressive spring kit and lighter fork oil or gone the whole hog and replaced the shock and had some fettling of the front. If you've never ridden a bike with full on, properly adjustable suspension - you really should. It's a revelation. Forget a Power Commander, the benefits of well set-up suspension are only believed when tried. Having said that, with semi-active suspension getting ever more common, I'll admit that the 2013 R1200GS LC I have is the first "big" bike I've found to be marvellous for me straight off the showroom floor.

Anyway, the shock fitment was amongst the easiest I've encountered and with the bike resting on the engine guard and having removed the exhaust - see later) it was job done in no time.
Some pics below ...

Attachments

• DSC_4061s.jpg
    DSC_4061s.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 949
  • DSC_4062s.jpg
    DSC_4062s.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 977
  • DSC_4063s.jpg
    DSC_4063s.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 964
  • DSC_4065s.jpg