Heavy diesel Mechanic Fiffe

the civil one

Reaction score
Evening all .
I am in a bit of a spot , i have a bus broken down in fiffe , and am having problems getting someone to diagnose the problem.
Its a Volvo B10M , i think its a timing issue , it may have been set from the pump , and needs to be set from the engine to the pump.
Any help or direction appreciated

Thought you had bailed from the Bus business years ago?

Al

Evening all .
I am in a bit of a spot , i have a bus broken down in fiffe , and am having problems getting someone to diagnose the problem.
Its a Volvo B10M , i think its a timing issue , it may have been set from the pump , and needs to be set from the engine to the pump.
Any help or direction appreciated

Timing would not cause it to break down unless the bolts have slipped and it is Waaaay out

Dont they have the disc cover over the pump drive that could be slipped off easy and see whether anything is loose?
??

How old is the bus, do you know which engine variant?

Does it have a conventional FIP or......

What makes you think the pump timing has slipped, is there something your not telling us?

Timing would not cause it to break down unless the bolts have slipped and it is Waaaay out

Dont they have the disc cover over the pump drive that could be slipped off easy and see whether anything is loose?
??
Well your right , Its not broken down , as such , but it aint going far anytime soon .
She is Blowing gray smoke , I am Nearly sure it isnt water in the Fuel , so i am guessing fuel at the wrong time .
But , i dont know , as you know , i am not mechanically minded .

How old is the bus, do you know which engine variant?

Does it have a conventional FIP or......

What makes you think the pump timing has slipped, is there something your not telling us?

Its a 94 Volvo B10M . Mechanical Pump .
I think the timimng has slipped because there is unspent fuel in Cyl no 1 .
With a Gray Smoke output
Of Course theres stuff i am not telling you , but its nothing to do with getting this bus running.

Ok light grey or dark grey, does it sting your eyes?

If dark grey does the engine rev, if yes, does the engine sound muffled or slow to build revs?

Newtyle commercials in Dundee, 01382 612517
If nowt else they will point you at the right people

Ok light grey or dark grey, does it sting your eyes?
If dark grey does the engine rev, if yes, does the engine sound muffled or slow to build revs?

Alas , that my friend is the Krux of the problem , I am here in sunny donegal and the bus is in Fife ,,
As far as i am being told its light Gray ,with a diesel smell . Its not the Pump , I have already sent a reconditioned unit over to
no avail . I am Told that setting the timing on these is a task only to be performed by a man in the Know.I think it
may be set up from the Pump to the Engine , not from the Engine to the Pump.
i have a guy that was working on it but hasnt worked on this Engine Before , i need a Man that knows the B10M Motor in Fife .
Moffat & Williamson are a reputable firm in the Area , i have phoned them today , i fixed one
of their motors in N.Ireland on an occasion , so i am hoping for a reciprocal gesture .

With a Gray Smoke output
Of Course theres stuff i am not telling you , but its nothing to do with getting this bus running.

timing wouldnt give you unspent fuel in one cylinder, i’m Also not sure how you would know there was fuel in cyl 1 without removing the exhaust manifold, injector or cyl head.

Could it be a jammed exhaust brake?

With a Gray Smoke output

Could be a busted injector tip or lack of compression on that cylinder by a damaged valve or seat or closed clearance

If it was timing it would have unburnt fuel in all the cylinders! And Timing just does not "slip" there has to bean external force!

What were the symptoms?

Did it just start doing it?

Up an Incline ?

ON the Exh Brake on a descent?

Need Data to do a Diagnosis from afar

Alas , that my friend is the Krux of the problem , I am here in sunny donegal and the bus is in Fife ,,
As far as i am being told its light Gray ,with a diesel smell . Its not the Pump , I have already sent a reconditioned unit over to
no avail . I am Told that setting the timing on these is a task only to be performed by a man in the Know.I think it
may be set up from the Pump to the Engine , not from the Engine to the Pump.
i have a guy that was working on it but hasnt worked on this Engine Before , i need a Man that knows the B10M Motor in Fife .
Moffat & Williamson are a reputable firm in the Area , i have phoned them today , i fixed one
of their motors in N.Ireland on an occasion , so i am hoping for a reciprocal gesture .

Ah OK, I thought you had a problem on the road and was trying to eliminate a few obvious issues to try to help.

I have worked extensively on Volvo engines albeit some years ago, I dont remember there being anything special about timing these so a competent person should be able to help, light grey with a fuel smell is unburnt fuel so most likely pump, timing (pump or camshaft) injector or lack of compression so not much to go on.

Diagnostics should be fairly simple as it runs.

Best of luck whatever happens.

Could be a busted injector tip or lack of compression on that cylinder by a damaged valve or seat or closed clearance
If it was timing it would have unburnt fuel in all the cylinders! And Timing just does not "slip" there has to bean external force!
What were the symptoms?
Did it just start doing it?
Up an Incline ?
ON the Exh Brake on a descent?
Need Data to do a Diagnosis from afar

I took it to Belfast , she was running like a swiss watch , lovely , handed it over .
At Braemuir ootside Cairnryan , she put an injector out , the Y retainer had broken , i think she slipped out the
injector sleeve as well , got a guy out from Castle Douglas , he says this was Sorted , New Y retainer and the Injector
and sleeve placed back in situ .. This was Cyl 3 , now the problem is Cyl 1 .
Driver Stopped in at Volvo Ayr , not too sure what happened there.
Head already off , everything inside Cyl 1 looks grand , no cylinder damage , no valve problems , all looks nice .
Compression sitting at 13 .

CivilOne said:
Head already off , everything inside Cyl 1 looks grand , no cylinder damage , no valve problems , all looks nice
Bit fecking late if its all stripped already! Why do people not actually diagnose anything anymore????

But IF only one cylinder had fuel in it then the injector is the number one suspect

If the fuel is not atomising then it wont explode! and lies about the cylinder / piston crown

If all six were wet then it is more likely a timing problem!

Bit fecking late if its all stripped already! Why do people not actually diagnose anything anymore????
But IF only one cylinder had fuel in it then the injector is the number one suspect
If the fuel is not atomising then it wont explode! and lies about the cylinder / piston crown

Thought about injectors as well , Have switched them all around , same problem on No 1 cylinder , thsi is why i am thinking
timing

What is the comparison of the other cylinders compression wise? If number one is Low? It won't burn

All may look good but something is not sealing correctly Look at your black 100GS the valve was actually cracked but it "ran" after a fashion but compression was schite
DSC05696.jpg

pmcg20.jpg

Also another possibly but very slim to have a failure on one port in the injector Pump

But If the fault does not follow the injector? All it can be is either the mechanism to pressurise the fuel and send it up the pipe to the number one injector or the compression in that cylinder to make it burn

If the other 5 are okay then it cant be injector timing

Thought about injectors as well , Have switched them all around , same problem on No 1 cylinder , thsi is why i am thinking
timing

As has been mentioned timing would affect all cylinders, not just one,
13 bar sounds low for compression,

13bar is low for a diesel engine.
Moffat and Williamson run a lot of busses in Fife , would expect them to have someone who knows his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom