Hiring a wobbly box in NZ recomendations

You wont believe this but the forum isnt just inhabited by blokes who only get as far as europe.
If you are flying into Auckland and dont want a pristine camper van then Lucky rentals are spot on and cheap.
Vans are well serviced but tend to be around 2003/7. I have booked mine for Feb 12th for 2 weeks

Thnx bud... all,sorted now... yeah, it seems that some have nothing better to do than spoil your post:rolleyes:
Have a great trip to NZ :D

Im almost jealous - Almost because I’m sat in Hong Kong Terminal 1, just waiting for my flight to Auckland.

Travelling for 2 weeks around the North Island then 2 weeks around the south.
Hire cars and motels pre-booked, sadly no woobpy box or GSA.

I’ll pass on any tips

Have a great trip

:beerjug:

This site might be of use
AA New Zealand calculator

The road between Blenheim and Kaikōura might be fully open by the time you travel too.

Im almost jealous - Almost because I’m sat in Hong Kong Terminal 1, just waiting for my flight to Auckland.

Travelling for 2 weeks around the North Island then 2 weeks around the south.
Hire cars and motels pre-booked, sadly no woobpy box or GSA.

I’ll pass on any tips

Have a great trip

:beerjug:

Awesome... beats sitting in the office wishing the weeks away :D have a great time,

Yeah, I heard that road was out now... fingers crossed. Safe onward journey and a great hols... let me know how you get on:beerjug::thumby:

If you decide to do the Scenic Rail trip between Christchurch and Greymouth book it from within NZ its one heck of a lot cheaper. Its a fabulous scenic ride

If you decide to do the Scenic Rail trip between Christchurch and Greymouth book it from within NZ its one heck of a lot cheaper. Its a fabulous scenic ride

Thanx for the tip... we had talked about that! Top tip and much appreciated

Doh! :blast
Ha ha, we’re already booked on that train ride via our tour operator. Thanks for the confirmation about it being spectacular though, I’m really looking forward to it.

:thumb

Here’s our route..

Attachments

• 20BC770B-BD00-48F9-B190-B00D313702B4.jpg
    20BC770B-BD00-48F9-B190-B00D313702B4.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 162
Here’s our route..
Try and get to visit the Catlins if you can when down South.
South of Oamaru swing out to the Coast and drive through Kakanui its gorgeous.
Be careful on SH63, its the the alternative SH1 while thats being rebuilt and is not built for the traffic.
SH1 will be open next month during daylight hours but will not be a fully functioning road for many months.
And if you have time try see Taranaki in the North Island.

Fatal anytime that is not around Christmas and Chinese New Year or NZ school holidays.
If away from any of the above very little need to prebook accomodation, just drive till you want to stop then find somewhere to stay.
Its the way I always travel around the country.
We did try that in the UK and got a few funny looks when we rocked up to places asking for a place to stay, even though they had plenty.

MikeO wrote the definitive NZ travel guide earlier this year.

Adrian

Here’s our route..

That route on the South Island is pretty much what we will be doing in the wobbly box.... sooo looking forward to it:D thank for sharing it, have a safe journey bud :thumby:

In the North Island, don't miss the Kauri Museum north of Auckland and the drive-up viewpoint at Te Mata hill near Napier.

South Island, the drive up to Mt. Cook but only if you can see it from the main road turn-off and the drive out to Glenorchy from Queenstown are both stunning. There's a drive-up viewpoint at Signal Hill Lookout in Dunedin if you're passing through as well.

Sandflies can be a pest esp. on the SI west coast, a good tip is to take some Bonjela to take the itch out of any bites you might get.

Have fun :D

Kia Ora fellas,
The wobbly box is booked...:D so counting down the days and weeks now. Flying into Christchurch and heading off the next day. Leaving my lad to fix the route, but sticking to the South Island only... thought it would be good to take our time and enjoy it, rather than race around. So, thinking of heading from CC up to Blenheim and picton for the obligatory wine experience :beer:for a couple of days then follow the coast round to greymouth area, then cut across down Arthur's Pass, east coast down to Dunedin, Invercargil and then up the west taking in Milford sound, Queenstown and back across to CC having taken in the lakes going up the west side. I so wish I was on the BMW Gsa,, but I guess we can't have it all....:D I was interested to read you comments about free camping... no chance of us abusing your beautiful country, my lad is very respectful of your culture and the beauty of the place, he would be so fucked off to hear that his fellow travellers are abusing your hospitality....:blast if we come across any like that we will give them let em know what we think... your country and welcome should be respected by all...cheers for your comments fellas.. ride safe and maybe I will post a few pics next year....
Al

And you are more than welcome.
Blenheim is where the wine is. Be careful as SH1 up the coast to Blenheim has been shut due to a massive 7.8 shake this time last year. I believe that they plan to reopen shortly but it has been closed for over a year now and there was a massive amount of reconstruction work required. Shame as it is a fabulous coastal road (on a good day) Most people go via route 7 – 65 & 63. Instead of Picton, which is principally a ferry terminal, why not head into either Pelorus of Charlotte Sounds. As you have a camper you can make the most of a few out-of-the-way spots and this area is rippingly beautiful with some fantastic short walking trails etc.
The west coast is a good run down, just watch your speed – and don’t ask. Nelson to Greymouth can take a good day with photo stops etc.
Greymouth to Queenstown / Wanaka is another reasonable day with the obligatory pitstops.
If Queenstown is too busy (which it can be) and the weather is good why not head up to Glenorchy for a night. There is a great jetboat excursion from there which is away from the madding hordes.
Queenstown – Milford – Te Anau is a big day.
Then do a loop Te Anau – Mossburn – Gore – Balcutha. To be perfectly honest, and if you are short of time skip Invercargill.
Route 8 is another fab road which will take you via Alexandra, Omarama, Tekapo, Geraldine and back to CC. The coast road from CC down is a little boaring until you get well past Dunedin.
Now that’s a 12 day loop. And an entrée for when you return on two wheels!!!!!
Enjoy

And you are more than welcome.
Blenheim is where the wine is. Be careful as SH1 up the coast to Blenheim has been shut due to a massive 7.8 shake this time last year. I believe that they plan to reopen shortly but it has been closed for over a year now and there was a massive amount of reconstruction work required. Shame as it is a fabulous coastal road (on a good day) Most people go via route 7 – 65 & 63. Instead of Picton, which is principally a ferry terminal, why not head into either Pelorus of Charlotte Sounds. As you have a camper you can make the most of a few out-of-the-way spots and this area is rippingly beautiful with some fantastic short walking trails etc.
The west coast is a good run down, just watch your speed – and don’t ask. Nelson to Greymouth can take a good day with photo stops etc.
Greymouth to Queenstown / Wanaka is another reasonable day with the obligatory pitstops.
If Queenstown is too busy (which it can be) and the weather is good why not head up to Glenorchy for a night. There is a great jetboat excursion from there which is away from the madding hordes.
Queenstown – Milford – Te Anau is a big day.
Then do a loop Te Anau – Mossburn – Gore – Balcutha. To be perfectly honest, and if you are short of time skip Invercargill.
Route 8 is another fab road which will take you via Alexandra, Omarama, Tekapo, Geraldine and back to CC. The coast road from CC down is a little boaring until you get well past Dunedin.
Now that’s a 12 day loop. And an entrée for when you return on two wheels!!!!!
Enjoy

Thanks for all of that, Kiwi66, I have been copying your info to my lad... he is now building up the itinerary. Very grateful for the advice on the road closure, and I am beginning to get a sense of the routes now... can't wait to be out there seeing it and living it... breathing in the fresh air and enjoying the vista... a matter of weeks now:beerjug::D:thumby:

@Big Al
Friends of mine recommended the Hema Touring Atlas
Ebay item 332451414249. So I bought a copy, it’s a really useful bound map book, I find that it makes longer journies easier to see than a sat nav.

Arriving in NZ my touring company handed me a copy in my itinerary pack, so I now have two.

ISTR that it cost me about £20, both are the latest 5th edition.

If you want one for £10 plus £2 pp I’ll pop the unused one in the post to you?? But check that your own tour company doesn’t include one first :blast

I’ll only be ebaying it anyway.

BTW the North Island is fulfilling all expectations and still the locals are telling me to wait until I get to the South Island.

Attachments

• FF0F4CE0-5CB5-4944-9A55-41F2ADF384F0.jpg
    FF0F4CE0-5CB5-4944-9A55-41F2ADF384F0.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 188
@Big Al
Friends of mine recommended the Hema Touring Atlas
Ebay item 332451414249. So I bought a copy, it’s a really useful bound map book, I find that it makes longer journies easier to see than a sat nav.

Arriving in NZ my touring company handed me a copy in my itinerary pack, so I now have two.

ISTR that it cost me about £20, both are the latest 5th edition.

If you want one for £10 plus £2 pp I’ll pop the unused one in the post to you?? But check that your own tour company doesn’t include one first :blast

I’ll only be ebaying it anyway.

BTW the North Island is fulfilling all expectations and still the locals are telling me to wait until I get to the South Island.

That looks stunning... can't wait... yes, to the atlas. And thnx for thinking of me... pm me your PayPal details and I will send the 12 quid... safe driving my friend... looks a bit warmer there than here... but I do have the pleasure of the NEC Bike Show on Sunday... a day out of banter and talking bollox with a few bikermates:D

I’m still on the North Island for @ another week, currently in Rotorura.

I’ve been taken with the stunning vistas around almost every corner and the friendliness and hospitality of the locals. What an amazing place. And everyone says the same.. wait until you see the South Island.

Thanks to all for the advice given, and gratefully taken. (The Kauri museum was fascinating).

@BigAl - I’ll sort the map book out when I get back, 19/12. The one here was a boon today because I’d plumbed the next destination into the Sat Nag and instead of taking me the obvious expected route it took me miles off piste. The map is large enough to see it all at a glance so we do didn’t go too far wrong.
Wi fi is a littl hit and miss so will PM when I can.

You are going to love it m8y

I’m still on the North Island for @ another week, currently in Rotorura.

I’ve been taken with the stunning vistas around almost every corner and the friendliness and hospitality of the locals. What an amazing place. And everyone says the same.. wait until you see the South Island.

Thanks to all for the advice given, and gratefully taken. (The Kauri museum was fascinating).

@BigAl - I’ll sort the map book out when I get back, 19/12. The one here was a boon today because I’d plumbed the next destination into the Sat Nag and instead of taking me the obvious expected route it took me miles off piste. The map is large enough to see it all at a glance so we do didn’t go too far wrong.
Wi fi is a littl hit and miss so will PM when I can.

You are going to love it m8y

Have pm'd you re the atlas... all sounds very cool... counting down the weeks. Drive safe buddy and thanks for all the tips.. great pic too :beerjug::D

Back
Top Bottom