2010 LH heated grip... not working as well as RH... any pointers

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm sure it comes on, but maybe 1/2 power of the RH one... then do they go onto 1/2 power once warm?... at this point I think it's off....
Measures the rersitance at 2.5 K ohms.. anyone know if this is right?...
Would measure the RH one, but they are not straight forward to take off... Cheers...

Are you definitely sure you're not gripping the right grip tighter than the left? I had the same issue when I bought mine!!!

Are you definitely sure you're not gripping the right grip tighter than the left? I had the same issue when I bought mine!!!

Same here! :thumb2 I 'tested' them without recourse to anything technical at all - engine running, grips on low initially, then high. Sat on bike and held both grips, hands bare - felt exactly the same temp. Then did it with gloves on - felt exactly the same temp. Then went for a ride - yup, left grip didn't feel as hot. But, if I purposely gripped it tighter than 'normal', it felt the same as the throttle grip. :)

Pete

No.. did stop at the lights once and removed left glove... it was not hot at all... this is on position 2

I've had the Oxford ones on my old RS... and on max you could not hold them without a glove... boiling!

The right grip will be naturally hotter than the left due to the insulation from the throttle sleeve.

Granted.. but its not warm at all?? just checked with the grip off the bars and its not getting hot at all... in fact, the RH one is only just warm... how hot should they get?

as said above, I've had Oxford ones in the past,,, and without gloves they would be too hot to touch!!

Just checked it here at work with better probes.. and its open circuit.. so new (used) one ordered.... :)

There are some vids on You tube showing how to repair the wire wound heated grip elements. Who knows if my 2008 has that type but I'll be checking it out.

Hi Bendy... the grip is well moulded on, so I'm sure you would destroy it taking it off.. or even bending it back.....

Hi Cupid .. YHM... but already ordered one.. bugger, would of had it.. thanks anyway :)

Bendy, the '08 is moulded on good and proper (see pics of mine below), unlike the earlier grips seen in the YT vids.
I replaced my grips last year with some Renthals and had to resort to some fine surgery getting the old grip off. I made a mess of it and it still needs cleaning up. It is bonded on in various 'dots' about every 20mm or so around the flexible heating element, so each dot needs to be sliced with a good knife, as you pull back on the grip. It wont just pull off, unless your pinch grip is vice like and I was mindful to protect the heating element.
I did it with grips still on the bike, but I think a better job could be done when they were off the bike.
Worst area is at both ends where I guess it is fully bonded to prevent water ingress.
Renthal grips are now shagged so need to replace again. Going to try the ones on Motorworks which cover the full grip length (unlike the short ones I bought).

38237745591_5256c898bf.jpg

26461276639_463be4296b.jpg

That looks pretty serious stuff and much like the "Oh so reliable" fuel strip element. Probably easier to get some new heated grips and solder on the old BMW cable connectors.

The YouTube videos show grips being expanded by compressed air. Not too handy when I now longer have the compressor. Other show the rubber being torn off which looks risky for the heating elements.

Retaining the left switch block will need some thought. The BMW grip liner has a tag screwed to the switch block and the assembly is screwed to the handlebar. Why on earth they could not have used a simple clamp as on the throttle side is anyone's guess.

Andeebee, is it possible to buy a replacement grip from BMW? Just the grip part. How close are the grips from a non-heated grip setup.

Try THESE from 'winding roads.co.uk'

Brilliant ..

nice neat switch .. unlike the bloody big clumpy dial from elsewhere ... 2 settings - toasty and toasted lol
get a nice piece of shrink wrap for the LH bar and fit before the element goes on. raid the wife hairspray and use that to wet the element before you slide the grip on.. sorted.

I like expensive grips and I'm happy to replace them when they wear out :thumb2

Found these on ebay so might give them a try, sized to fit with the heated element:

Attachments

• Grips.jpg
    Grips.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 159
I was thinking that the OEM grips are REALLY expensive and supplied only complete with heaters. The heat shrink sleeves at least deal with mechanical wear but of course not the heater elements.

Real OEM shows the grips as complete units with heaters etc. The right side is complete with throttle cable winder. The left is also sleeved (stops bars conducting heat away) and has a bracket to carry the switch block.

Does anyone know if the throttle sleeve can be stripped out of the OEM grips allowing aftermarket grips to be fitted? I can imagine me buying a set of new grips to find the bare sleeves are too fat for aftermarket grips.

Bendy, have a look at the ebay link I've posted, the seller does different versions for heated and non-heated grips.

Bendy, have a look at the eBay link I've posted, the seller does different versions for heated and non-heated grips.

Noted. Thanks.

Does anyone know how to repair the OEM printed heating elements? Can they be repaired or do I need new elements?

Got the 'used' grip... OMG.. bike must have done 150K... in parts it was down to the heating element nearly... so that is going back...

So, set about my existing grip with a very sharp blade... just bit by bit until I could follow the outline of the hard plastic its moulded on to... once you get beyond the shoulder, you can plunge down and get the where the element is...
Both wires soldered on hard.. but still nothing from the test meter... so re-soldered one side... bingo.. its fine (just did the other one to make sure...

will re-fit and try but according to the avo... all is fine :)

Attachments

• WP_20171109_21_40_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171109_21_40_59_Pro.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 219
  • WP_20171109_21_41_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171109_21_41_07_Pro.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 197

Back
Top Bottom