G650GS Adventure Trike!

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
Mrs P's G650GS was becoming a bit of a handful so she did a bit of research and had it converted into a trike

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 2,295
Rides very well and can handle the gravel roads here on the farm and very good at keeping the grass down in the middle of the rosd

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 805
wow, what a machine! independent suspension looks good. How's the steering? suspect the trail on that bike would mean its relatively light? I had a sidecar on my Kawasaki Drifter and it was like steering a fully loaded shopping trolley

Very professional looking job :thumb2 ( mind those rear calliper lines look just a wee bit exposed :D)

Handles really well once you get used to turning the bars at low speed especially on roundabouts.

Shakes it head a wee bit below 15mph on rough roads as the rear wheels go over large stones........ Pulls cleanly over 75mph considering it only has 48bhp and it still returns over 55mpg

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 689
Fantastic brakes and immense stopping power from the rear........ Speedo drive now works from the front ABS ring as the ABS is disabled

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 713
That is a very clever and very well engineered trike. Well done to you. Is it all yer own work or did you get a company involved ? Either way whoever built that is very professional - and competent

Top conversion

Most of us will have seen some questionable trike conversions.

That looks really good, g650gs and trike in the same sentence. I would have bet against it.

Work carried out by Casarva Customs in Peterborough using their cradle and BMW 5 series running gear and diff converted to chain drive....... I think the callipers are off a Golf Mk6 or maybe 5 series.

Casarva hadn't done a GS other than an 1150 so the concept of a smaller GS single with chain drive took a bit more thought.

Lots of phone calls re the design especially how the speedo would work and how to disable the ABS aswell....... Then there was how to mount the panniers which turned out easy enough in the end.

Because of the weight we didn't fit a reverse transfer box as it's easy enough to get off and push...... Or learn to park sensibly

All we need now is slightly taller screen, longer front forks as they are factory lowered ones at the moment and the front Tourance will be changed for a Heidenau K60

I gave Mrs P the chance to convert my 2010 R1200GSA but she said she wanted to convert her own bike as it was hers and in the shed and she said she looked small on the GSA(she is small)

In future we could easily convert the cradle to fit the F800 or maybe the newer F850GS but the G650GS is a tough little bike and cheap for spares/donor front end.

I reckon you could convert the Trike back to a bike in an afternoon.

I think Mikeyboy had a converted DRZ front end for sale that was worked to be a straight fit into a BMW 650 headstock.
I think
HTHY

Most difficult thing about the build........ Choosing the bloody wheels....... Must have looked at dozens from standard alloy BMW ones to these custom designer Italian ones that cost £££........ Just need to fit the BMW centre badges

Very nice...
I was going to get my first 1150 GS tried in Devon, but Wacky the builder had an accident & stopped building them.
Yours looks great.
What was the approx cost please... Ball park would be fine.
Cheers Ash...
Xcountry trike mmmmmmmm :D

Back
Top Bottom