Rusty tool kit on 4mth old bike...

ArwenX7

Reaction score
Hello folks, so my F700 is around 4 months old now and I was needing to tighten the chain and prep it for winter last week when I looked under the seat and to my horror was greeted by this sight.

I emailed the dealer I got the bike from on Friday with a load of pictures, but have not heard back from them yet. So, am I wrong to be shocked at this? Do all tool kits on the F series bikes disintegrate in a matter of months? The bike has hardly seen rain and lives in a garage... Aside from this, the rest of the bike looks brand new.
I know of a couple of people with 15 year old BMW's and their tool kits look fine (they are at least usable).

It's not just surface rust either, after some scrubbing they now look like this... The spanner has lost one of its "tips" already and the torx heads are already too misshapen to use on the bike.

That’s ridiculous. On the assumption the individual tools were made different steel/ times and places that’s a very low probability of manufacturing failure. Is the seat area badly vented ? You sure a mechanic hasn’t nicked your shiny tools ?

Tools are made of reclaimed shit. You are lucky that they corroded. If you tried to use them to adjust the chain you would have damaged the fasteners. I have had a F800 and while the tools didn’t rust like yours there is no way they would be suitable for anything. JJH

Tools are made of reclaimed shit. You are lucky that they corroded. If you tried to use them to adjust the chain you would have damaged the fasteners. I have had a F800 and while the tools didn’t rust like yours there is no way they would be suitable for anything. JJH

I agree, the tools may as well be made of plasticine. At least if they were rust wouldn't be a problem. I remove the manufactures "tools" and substitute them with ones I know will do the job. Naturally these don't fit in the space vacated so a small tool box or tube will do the job. Being totally honest I've done thousands of miles and never had cause to use them at the roadside.

I agree, the tools may as well be made of plasticine. At least if they were rust wouldn't be a problem. I remove the manufactures "tools" and substitute them with ones I know will do the job. Naturally these don't fit in the space vacated so a small tool box or tube will do the job. Being totally honest I've done thousands of miles and never had cause to use them at the roadside.

Same here. Carried tools 1000s of miles without needing them. They are like a spare wheel. Never wanted till it’s not there or punctured. JJH

Forget the rust. I wouldn't go far knowing that in the event of a breakdown, that pile of crap was my 'get out of jail free' card.....:eek:

UTTER......CRAP.........;)

Absolutely terrible.

If your tools need to be clear of water then they should be supplied in a suitable container to avoid the weather.

James

I suspect that you live close enough to the sea that these tools have been exposed to salt water/atmosphere hence the accelerated corrosion.

The rest of the bike has probably been washed, and these tools are kept wet and don5 get dried.

As others have said, I always carry proper tools.

I suspect that you live close enough to the sea that these tools have been exposed to salt water/atmosphere hence the accelerated corrosion.

You might be right but.....

I live 100 metres from the North Sea and I have a garage full of tools and equipment. NON of my gear is corroded and I don't take any special precautions.....:)

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going to sent the dealer another email today. Hopefully I can get some time later on in the week to phone them if I've still not heard anything back. I know the on board tool kits are never the best, but considering my £2,5k Honda MSX tool kit still looks like new (and is actually useful) 2 and half years on I excepted better than 4 months from BMW's offering.

That’s ridiculous. On the assumption the individual tools were made different steel/ times and places that’s a very low probability of manufacturing failure. Is the seat area badly vented ? You sure a mechanic hasn’t nicked your shiny tools ?

It is a lowered bike, with the lower seat so maybe? I haven't ever notice any water pooling around the seat area though. Nothing else under the seat appears to be rusty (fasteners/washers etc). As for mechanic's, the only ones to have had their hands on the bike other than me is a BMW dealer.

The rest of the bike has probably been washed, and these tools are kept wet and don5 get dried.

As others have said, I always carry proper tools.

I do live near the sea, but not in it. This is also the first time I've washed the bike myself. Last time it was washed was 3 months ago by the dealer when it got it's first service...

You have tools supplied with your bike!!!!!!! I'm shocked they must be a great help in a breakdown :nenau

Looks like you ended up with some they had lying around the workshop, were the that bad last time you had the seat off.Id be more worried the amount of water that seems to be getting under your seat?

This is also the first time I've washed the bike myself. Last time it was washed was 3 months ago by the dealer when it got it's first service...

There is your problem

All BMWs have to be washed thoroughly after every ride (the dirt in waitrose car parks is terrible)
I think the handbook specifies the use of shampoo made from whale semen and then drying off with purest ocelot cloth before yet another coating of ACF 50.

All that said I am suprised you need to adjust the chain after only 4 months unless of course you are a mega miler

I know the supplied tool kits on bikes aren't top notch, but whilst they may be as soft as putty, they shouldn't rust like that!

Definitely speak to the dealer, but I've only kept mine on the bike so I don't lose them in my garage, I also have "proper" tools on the bike for emergency chain adjustment, battery access etc...

But that's for an emergency, I'd always use the nice tools in the garage to work on my bike if given a choice.....

D

No major mileage, but it was needing done. How often would you say you need to adjust your chain? ACF-50 is on it now, to hopefully the whole bike wont resemble the tools in February!

You have tools supplied with your bike!!!!!!! I'm shocked they must be a great help in a breakdown :nenau

Looks like you ended up with some they had lying around the workshop, were the that bad last time you had the seat off.Id be more worried the amount of water that seems to be getting under your seat?

Last time I had the seat off was just after I bought it, to check the tools were there. The water in the pictures is from me washing it by the way.

Yes that's not what I meant, to get so corroded there must be a large amount of water entering that area did you check the the plastics in that area for cracks or holes/ missing grommets?

No major mileage, but it was needing done. How often would you say you need to adjust your chain? ACF-50 is on it now, to hopefully the whole bike wont resemble the tools in February!

Last time I had the seat off was just after I bought it, to check the tools were there. The water in the pictures is from me washing it by the way.

I wont mention the Ducati as the chain and sprockests are a sore point but on the S1000XR i did not adjust the chain in 15000 miles and it never needed it. Dont be fooled into over tightening as that will shag it very quickly.

Micky is the man to tell you about your model and chain adjustment

I wont mention the Ducati as the chain and sprockests are a sore point but on the S1000XR i did not adjust the chain in 15000 miles and it never needed it. Dont be fooled into over tightening as that will shag it very quickly.

Micky is the man to tell you about your model and chain adjustment

Taking advice on chain care from Rick is like taking advice on photography from Giles :D

Back
Top Bottom