Suspected alternator belt failure

Wizards-Online

Going Overground
Reaction score
So I’m currently waiting on the RAC to pick me and the bike up and take me home. The battery light came on this morning on the way to work and I was hoping it would get me the 12 miles home but only made 9.

My question is have I shagged the battery or will putting it on the trickle charger be okay?

Also, how easy is it for competent novice to change and is there anything to look out for?

Or.... anything else it could be other than the belt and how to trouble shoot.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure the belt has not failed because the alternator has seized which is not uncommon. If the battery was in decent nick prior to this it should come back into life.

Make sure you order the correct length belt, hopefully the markings will still be legible.

Battery? get it on charge and see how it performs, same happened to me.
Charged the battery overnight and its not had any impact or ill effect.

Now home thanks to the RAC and whipped the cover off and the belt has failed - alternator is moving freely so fingers crossed it's just a new belt and all will be well. Thanks for the info. Time for a new thread asking for tips on how to fit the new belt :)

Now home thanks to the RAC and whipped the cover off and the belt has failed - alternator is moving freely so fingers crossed it's just a new belt and all will be well. Thanks for the info. Time for a new thread asking for tips on how to fit the new belt :)

Do a search on here, plenty info - Steptoe has a very good easy way.

Back
Top Bottom