What's the difference between an HP2E and megamoto

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So far I can see:
Wheels - 2 sets
113bhp vs 105bhp
Shock?

Is a MM a viable adventure bike or is it really just a supermoto which can have knobbly tyres fitted?

A standard MM is not a bike to fit knobbly's to....

Some HP2 E came with a super moto wheel set

My HP2 was based on a MM but it had a lot of work done to it, including

Triple clamps
50mm forks
Whilbers rear shock
18in rear woodies wheel
21in Talon front

Attachments

• IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 1,081
on the Enduro :
gearbox reinforced ;
balancing shaft suppressed ;
tachy with hours counter ;
rear brake pedal different ;
no-abs ;
handlebar different ;
exhaust different

Iv never ridden a HP2 E but my MM is wicked and not like a GS in any way and I’ve got 3 GS’s 1989 PD - 1991 80GS and a 2015 GSA
+ I’ve had an 1100 and a 2004 GSA

But I’m too short for the HP2 MM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So for adventure/travel bike purposes it's an HP2E? Still needs mods, I know.

So for adventure/travel bike purposes it's an HP2E? Still needs mods, I know.

For Adventure/Travel you need to think about three things on the HP2 Enduro.

1. Increase the fuel capacity from the existing 13ltr. Either options are now very rare - HPN tanks, Touratech (pair of side tanks on eBay at the moment), or Markus 7ltr underseat tank.

2. Small windshield, search on here for the options.

3. Luggage - the rear subframe is known to be weak in carrying capacity, so think about the options carefully.

I've done options 1 and 2 but I'm reluctant to fit a permanent luggage system to the bike.

Thanks, I think HPN tanks are still available, and it seems they do some stuff to brace the frame, too. Can't find any details on the TT tanks, seems more straightforward just to switch out the whole tank.
What about suspension?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Touratech tanks are here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-HP2-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

They seem very expensive though. :rolleyes: But probably cheaper than HPN.

Folks change out the rear air shock for Ohlins or fit Wilbers which are at least half the price of Ohlins. I've still got the original air shock but put progressive springs in the front Marzocchi forks, but they're only really necessary for rufty tufty off-road.

With the rising value of these bikes do you really want to (a)modify it too much or (b) ride it too much.
Sad I know but it makes a strong case for buying a bike built for touring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hp2e and megamoto

I have an HP2E and have almost bought a megamoto a few times. I would see no point in owning any of them and not riding them. That's what I bought mine for, not just to look at.

I have an HP2E and have almost bought a megamoto a few times. I would see no point in owning any of them and not riding them. That's what I bought mine for, not just to look at.

My opinion too. But a rare bike worth £20K and counting is another question.
I don’t have the money to afford the loss of crashing such a bike or even the loss due to miles on the clock. Owning one would be financially risky or it would be just a sad investment kept bagged & wrapped until I needed the garage space.

and then he stepped out in front of a bus.

Back
Top Bottom