Importing from old version

Bear

Reaction score
I've just moved from Vista to Windows 10 so I've downloaded and installed the latest versions of Garmin Express and BaseCamp. I'm now trying to import routes and waypoints from the old installation to the new and am getting an error with the unhelpful statement "Unsupported Version". Is there a way round it or do I have to rebuild my (fortunately small) list of waypoints again from scratch? http://www.ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/pukeface.gif

first question is how are you trying to do it, and from what version to what version.

I don't know without looking into it further but off the top of my head the older version may save routes in a different format than the newer hence the error. You might be better posting on a Garmin forum and see if there is a conversion tool.

EDIT
Just a thought but as a workaround can you export the routes to your GPS in Vista then import them in the Windows 10 install?

I don't know without looking into it further but off the top of my head the older version may save routes in a different format than the newer hence the error. You might be better posting on a Garmin forum and see if there is a conversion tool.

Garmin GPX files on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does this help?
https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac...ftware/basecamp-aa/151726-basecamp-re-install

I think I might just have (partially at least!) sorted the problem. Thanks to your answer in an older post I changed the database location in "Options" to the old files and this appears to have loaded most of my old routes and the folder structure. Any idea why this should have worked but not when I try to import the data file or open it by double clicking on it? (As originally mentioned I've had to go back from Win 10 to Win 7)

Well with not knowing how you have tried to export your files, i maybe going over old ground for you at some point, there are a couple of ways of doing it.

first way
on your old install go to file at the top and then to backup and select it, save the resulting file in a place you will remember, this file will now need to be transfered to your new install, via usb stick or over network or sd card, any of these methods will do.
open basecamp on your new install and again go to file but now select restore and point it to the file you have taken from your old install, depending on the amount of data it may take a while or not.

second way is to select either export my collection, you would do it this way for folders in your collection. or export selection you would do it this way if you wanted to select certain items and not others to transfer.

go to file select export my collection and pick a place to save the file, and then transfer it to the new install and go to file and select import my collection. ( i am guessing this is when your problem occurs)

for the export selection you need to choose what you want to transfer by highlighting the files (routes waypoints ect) and then follow the same procedure.

I hope this helps.

I would of course advise doing this before moving your maps to your slave hdd (the big drive you spoke of) on your new install as i am uncertain as to whether it may make a difference, once the maps are moved it will have no effect on your new saved items but it may on your old files i do not know.

I dismantled the old Vista machine before I thought of copying waypoints over to the new installation so I tried a Google search to find out where Basecamp stores data then went to the Basecamp folder on the disc I'd taken out. What I found was a subfolder named Database which contained empty folders called GeotaggedPhotos and SavedSearches and one called Database which had two folders named 4.5 and 4.6. Each of these has subfolders and a file named AllData.gdb, which is what I would have expected to import. I can't get a system running Vista up now as the hardware has been scrapped and the discs from it formatted so if what I've saved can't be opened then it's back to searching and setting up wayoints from scratch. There's only 30 of them so it's not the end of the world.

yes i am affraid you are fubar with reference to getting any data back, still it sounds like you did not have to many items stored.

Back
Top Bottom