Last BMW

Dennis the Menace

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Think I may have bought my last BM, so have started to look round at what I may need, today went to a triumph dealership, they certainly have a good range of bikes to look at

I did the factory tour yesterday, they seem to take quality control very seriously. Tour highly recommended, and interesting exhibition.

Said this onnother threads.
The ONLY reasons I’m not on an Explorer is the dealerships down here and the lack of Euro coverage for back up.
Far better bike, better kit, etc just let down by their network.

Never regretted moving from BMW to Triumph although it was via Moto Guzzi.

I did in fact go for a 2hr ride on the latest GS just before I swapped my Gen1 Explorer for my current Gen 2 Explorer. I really don't get it, I just don't understand how anyone can think the GS is a better bike than the Latest Explorer.

It may be better off road and it's slightly nimbler on the really gnarly stuff but that's about it. Each to there own I suppose.

Gotta disagree with some comments regrading Triumph/the Explorer based on first hand experience - the level of finish was shite, although the bike itself and the motor were great. I had mine from new, sold it on before it dissolved completely. Never known anything like it - I had a 6 year old dirt bike that was regularly abused that cleaned up in better nick than my cosseted Explorer! Shame really, as I did like the ride of the bike.

Gotta disagree with some comments regrading Triumph/the Explorer based on first hand experience - the level of finish was shite, although the bike itself and the motor were great. I had mine from new, sold it on before it dissolved completely. Never known anything like it - I had a 6 year old dirt bike that was regularly abused that cleaned up in better nick than my cosseted Explorer! Shame really, as I did like the ride of the bike.

It's a funny old world and a bit hard to fathom sometimes, how stuff that comes out of the same factory can vary so wildly.

Mate had a 2012 launch model Explorer (Recently swapped for a 2016 Gen 2 ) 57,000 mls ridden almost every day of the year. I kid you not it did not have even a trace of corrosion. I bought a new Explorer 2015, rode it through two winters and again not a mark on it.

Don't get me on about the WC GS I had.

It's a funny old world and a bit hard to fathom sometimes, how stuff that comes out of the same factory can vary so wildly.

Mate had a 2012 launch model Explorer (Recently swapped for a 2016 Gen 2 ) 57,000 mls ridden almost every day of the year. I kid you not it did not have even a trace of corrosion.

Did his not have the recall for new exhausts, new main stands and new cylinder heads ?

I’ve always liked Triumphs but felt they let themselves down on finish and cheap looking controls and switches. That said the new crop of bikes have addressed the controls but don’t kid yourselves they are any better than BeeMs when it comes to finish and reliability.
Several mates at work have had numerous issues, latest one was a disintegrating gearbox on a low mileage generation 1. Another mate has just spent £2k on a 40k service as various components had rotted and he was one of the ones who had his bike ‘rebuilt ‘ at the factory.

My 60k mile TC has ran faultlessly with little corrosion (FD rebuilt at 50k) and is used all year round and endured the Dalton last year.

Just saying, the grass isn’t always greener just different which is no bad thing. Even Honda’ rust these days😄

I had the Explorer and thought it was a great bike, mine had the head recall and still under warranty but after I p/x'ed it the gearbox went but Triumph swopped it out under warranty no problem (it is a cassette type ). I spoke to a sales manager from another bike marque before buying mine he had racked 40k on his and lived out in the sticks commuting to work all year and touring 2 up, he basically said nowt else fitted the bill as well that's why he went for a trumpet.
I recently bought two Triumphs after loosing faith in Honda so I will see for myself soon enough.

Umm, 2nd gearbox failure on another bike. Rear wheel locked up at low speed and spat rider off. Triumph are saying they’ve never heard of gearbox failures but will fix it despite bike being out of warranty. Not knocking Triumph, they have not quibbled on repair, as I said, grass isn’t always greener.

Back
Top Bottom