Lest we Forget

Typical hypocrisy from you. Let me remind you of your delightful contribution to this thread. You were the first to give the OP a kick, in Post 3:

Now you're passing yourself off as the voice of reasonableness. Unbelievable.
Poor sad fool.

Thanks Steve. Seems to be more and more people there every time I go past.

I was hosting a shoot on the 11th. I stopped the day at 11; we all stood in silence on the hill for a minute, and virtually everybody there saw me later during the course of the day and and said how much they appreciated the gesture.

A small thing but still appropriate.

Before I retired, no matter what event we had on or the schools we had in the sports centre, everything stopped at 11am on the 11th. It would bring a tear to the eye seeing 200/300 people just stop and stay silent for 2 minutes.

Jetjock is quite an effective anti war campaigner, tho he's too ignorant to realise it.

I mean, let's face it, if all those lads who died could have seen into the future and had an insight into the kind of gobshite they were giving their lives for, they'd probably have had second thoughts.

How does that poem go - "When you go Home, tell them of us and say, For your Tomorrow, we gave our Today"

They gave their todays so that people could talk shite on the internet purely for the sake of causing an argument.

It's kind of a good thing that their generation isn't around to see what their mates made the ultimate sacrifice for, they'd be proper pissed off!

Well said.

Poor sad fool.

So you realise your hypocrisy is indefensable and resort to that poor riposte .... Would you like to reiterate your accusation that the OP's post was mere "virtue signalling"? After all, you were online all day and had nothing to add...

Where's the yawn emoji ?

So you realise your hypocrisy is indefensable and resort to that poor riposte .... Would you like to reiterate your accusation that the OP's post was mere "virtue signalling"? After all, you were online all day and had nothing to add...

Where's the yawn emoji ?
Online all day? What are you on about?
I merely speculated that, in other contexts on here, the OP would have been slated as virtue signalling.

Nothing more nothing less.

You can be very tedious at times.

Had the privilege to attend the museum at Utah beach whilst on hols this year and that was very moving, makes days like this so important.

I also went to the RM memorial a few years back whilst on a two wheel tour of the Highlands. My pal was a former Commando so very poignant.
Big respect well done.

Just a wee addition that may be interest….from the other side.

My German Grandfather was conscripted into the army in both 1 and 2 as were most of the cannon fodder.

It was his only option, failure to comply meant deepshit!

My German mother’s first Husband, a German officer, was sent to the Russian front, he never returned.

My mother worked in what was the equivalent of the local council offices at the beginning of the conflict and as such was aware of the ‘movement’ ( as in cattle trucks) of some of the locals that were believed to be less than appreciative of AH and his shenanigans.

At quite a risk to herself, she tried get information to those that she felt she could trust, for them to take an unannounced holiday.

Clearly, we’re not talking Schindlers List numbers but nonetheless, had she been caught, I doubt I'd be sat here in the guise I am.

Her house was destroyed when an American Bomber came down into it, sadly, she watched some of the crew burn to death, not that she could have done anything to help

After that together with my Grandmother, they scraped a living off then land and lived in various less than salubrious and sheds/shacks…. It was shit for the general populace of both side.

At the end of WW11 my Opa didn’t return to what was left of the town, until TWO years after the war finished, he’d been a POW of the French post war, it wasn’t a good time apparently… as with a lot of returning soldiers, he rarely talked about those times but everytime AH popped up on the telly for whatever reason, he went off on one....:(

I feel that whilst we have had family and friends that were alive in our lifetime, that suffered, on either side, that they are remember at the appropriate times, not just the 11.11

As for the negative vibes on this thread, Hey-Ho. It is a tad disrespectful but the Planet keeps spinning!

Thanks posting and the photos Auwyn, very intersting and for starting the thread in the first place Steve…:thumb2

Yes I quite agree there are no winners in war only survivors who try to make something of the pittance they are left with.Its easy to forget that many soldiers in the great war served because they had to, not because they wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom