coil removal tool

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dear All,

I have just purchased a 2000 1150gs and have set about servicing it. The service manual specifies a tool to remove the coils and access the spark plugs - Is this really necessary in practice or are the coils removable with some dexterity? if so do you guys have an internet source which is reliable for all things 1150?

Reuben

The 'coil removal tool' is the black plastic thing in the under seat tool tray (if present). It is just a short slotted tube that fits around the end of the stick coil; fingers and a screwdriver work just as well.

ps: welcome to UKGSer :thumb2

thanks for the quick reply - I have not even looked at the underseat tool compartment yet - should be ashamed of myself :)

AFAIK, you don't need it for a single spark. It was only necessary for the twin spark engine, which came out in 2003. I'm open to correction, though.

The same tool is used to remove the OEM spark plug caps (pre twinspark) or the stick coil (twin spark).

It is possible with care to gently pry either out with a flat blade screw driver and gentle leverage. Which is the method I use as the plastic tool is a bit fiddley to use.

:thumb2
Ian

Bit of card on the rocker box to protect it, prise it out with a screwdriver, using the lip just below the coilpack top.

I bought one similar to this years ago. Much better than the plastic tool[/I] ..... [/I]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-ALUM...386775?hash=item1e8b516757:g:NIoAAOxyeglTbMJE

That's for the twin spark engines. The plug caps are different.

The OP has a 2000 model bike, which is a single spark.

The same tool is used to remove the OEM spark plug caps (pre twinspark) or the stick coil (twin spark).

Ian

They aren't the same, they have different plug pullers. :thumb

That's for the twin spark engines. The plug caps are different.

The OP has a 2000 model bike, which is a single spark.

They aren't the same, they have different plug pullers. :thumb

Correct. I think the reference to "coils" distracted me from the date of manufacture..( that's my excuse anyway):blast

Back
Top Bottom