Matching pannier locks to ignition lock-R100GS and others.

B Murr

Reaction score
Considering matching the locks on the OEM panniers to the ignition lock. This guy made a handy video about how to remove them, next step will be figuring where to get the little tumblers to match. Once I'd figured it out removal only took a few seconds. https://vimeo.com/94842206

Actually, next part of puzzle sems to be how to get the little tumblers out. maybe I'm better off leaving it all alone, after all if I ever sell the panniers I'll have to go through the whole procedure again unless I am happy knowing someone else also has an ignition key for my bike.

I know lock kits before used to come with the tumblers....do the BMW items not come with a selections of tumblers ?

I know lock kits before used to come with the tumblers....do the BMW items not come with a selections of tumblers ?

haven't bought a lock kit, if Im lucky the tumblers will be easily swopped about without need to buy additional ones. slowly drifting towards the 'Leave Well Alone' :rob mental situation. Everything works well already, I just have to carry a key to fit the panniers, however since I have a givi topbox I'll always have to carry another key anyway plus one for a security lock. Its no great hardship me having to carry a set of 3 keys as opposed to a set of 2 keys, WTF am I thinking :blast , someone will come along soon hopefully and tell me that I can take the tumblers out using a needle or something simple and non destructive like that.

I've done this before but I'm struggling to remember how they're kept in. I have Krauser panniers without matching keys to the ignition and it's not a bother. But then again, I don't use hard luggage anymore ! Bicycle panniers are where it's at :D

38397174891_b37f06b7bb_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_20170527_113529973 by Air Head, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a guide I used which I found very helpful: http://www.mototrip-tours.com/blog/workshop/rekeying-bmw-case-locks/

If this is what your trying to do I have some spare tumblers you can have FOC - you don't need many as the ones you have will likely fit most of the slots anyway, you just need a few spares to swap around. How many locks are you doing?

Let me know if this will help you out, and if so, your address.

I have been where you are :aidan

Thanks

James

Looking at the link above and going on memory, once you pull the key out from the barrel then the tumblers should come out ? It's the key that keeps them in usually.

Here is a guide I used which I found very helpful: http://www.mototrip-tours.com/blog/workshop/rekeying-bmw-case-locks/

If this is what your trying to do I have some spare tumblers you can have FOC - you don't need many as the ones you have will likely fit most of the slots anyway, you just need a few spares to swap around. How many locks are you doing?

Let me know if this will help you out, and if so, your address.

I have been where you are :aidan

Thanks

James

Cheers James. The tumblers in that link will be different from the type in my lock as the key in that link uses a groove whereas my key is the older type with hills and valleys along one side. My tumblers don't seem to want to come out whereas in the link it looks like they just Spring out when barrel is removed from lock .

Looking at the link above and going on memory, once you pull the key out from the barrel then the tumblers should come out ? It's the key that keeps them in usually.

Didn't seem to make much difference to mine, key in or out they didn't seem to want to come out. Looking at the hills and valleys along edge of both keys it looks like two of them are opposites to each other and if I'm lucky just swopping two tumblers around will sort it. If someone knows how to get them out of the barrel that would be great.

Having tinkered with both types, the later vario case locks certainly have 'leaves' or tumblers that are numbered and free to be released and exchanged once the key is removed whereas the earlier cylindrical locks for the oblong 'touring' panniers (R100GS and similar) which use Neiman locks seem to have tumblers that are permanently retained......just what I have found and I stand to be corrected.

I found myself with no key for a set of these earlier panniers, so having removed the locks I put in the key for the bike and found most of the tumblers were flush with the lock body with just one or two standing proud......

I simply ground down the protruding tumblers until they were flush with the lock body......remove the key and enough tumblers pop up to make the lock as secure as it's ever going to be......replace the key and they are all flush.

The one thing you have to be careful with though is not to touch the retaining tumbler which is at the far end of the lock and not part of the mechanism.....if you grind that one, the lock body will fall out.

That worked perfectly for me, everything worked on one key (I still use the panniers) and thus far, no ill effects; the only real risk you run is having to buy a set of replacement locks if you cock up the originals.....Motobins sell complete lock sets, not too expensive either, so take a lock body out, put your existing key in and see if it's possible.

If there is an easier/better/less destructive method I'd be keen to hear it as I have another set of 1990s touring panniers arriving shortly and no key for them.

Mick

Found this thread https://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=494.0

It seems that the K100/75 used those Neiman keys too, that thread shows different pannier but same lock and key as mine. One of the replies seems to suggest that the little springs for the wafers/tumblers can be pulled out but that they have a retaining spur which will wear a groove if they are removed a few times.

Also found this link on how to read the keys grooves to generate a code . http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/BMW_key_codes.pdf

That link, in a nutshell is exactly what I did, but I searched high and low for some guidance and never found that.......I'm clearly crap at searching, I just followed what I'd done on a Japanese lock years before...after I'd satisfied myself that the tumblers wouldn't come out.

I suspect there will inevitably be a key/lock combination where this can't be done as too many need filing down and it would reduce the lock to ineffectiveness, but in my case it worked fine.

Mick.

Went straight to the kettle method myself, but I dont depend on the locks to hold cases to the bike, or for security---.

Might be just as easy to use the existing keys me thinks !

Yeah, thats whats happening for time being unless I become bone idle or find myself a spare lock to tinker with. I reckon the springs can be pulled out but I know there is a risk of damaging a spring or its retaining tab when pulling it out and I can imagine that if the tab is damaged that the spring can let loose and jam the lock. On the later locks it looks like the spring readily pops out but not so in the case of these earlier ones. I've had enough little mistakes in past where smart assed tinkering with something results in having to replace the item completely so I'll be leaving well alone for time being..

Back
Top Bottom