heated grip failed

tezz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi all my throttle side grip has stopped working -getting hot-was thinking it might have something to do with throttle lock thing which fits around the grip -not took it of yet -i take it that if its getting juice to the left then it must be powering up so its the single heated grip -or wires-thats the issue.any one had issues ? 2012 bike

Ive had a throttle lock for years but both grips have packed up. Left side went first.

You "can" peel back the grip rubber to expose the solder joints. Resoldering might solve the problem but if (like mine) half the grip wet cold you will need to remove the rubbers, find the damage in the printed circuit heater etc etc.

Solutions.
(1) New grips from BMW. They sell only the full package including under-sleeve on left and throttle control assembly on right. Cost = Don't ask!

(2) Cut and tear the old rubbers off and get new ones from Motorworks. The OEM grips are VERY well stuck and you will most likely ruin the heating elements. Chinese sellers on eBay have new elements for a few £s. Wrap this around the old ones or maybe peel away the old elements along with the rubbers.

Not in English but clear enough. Other vids show how to use compressed air to fit the grips.

tnx bendy -will have a look this weekend -was wondering if the likes of oxford grips can be fitted to original wires ???

tnx bendy -will have a look this weekend -was wondering if the likes of oxford grips can be fitted to original wires ???

I'm sure they could, but would probably need some rubber surgery to bring the leads out in a suitable place. However
  • I've not done it - still investigating for myself.
  • I don't know the diameter of the plastic liner tubes left or right.
  • "Universal" grips will not work as the liner tubes are bigger than 22mm.
  • You can get replacement grip rubbers from Motorworks and new heating elements are cheap on eBay.
  • The ribs on the liner tube would need to be trimmed off or leave the new grips feeling lumpy. - more hazard for the old elements.

One option is to cut off the old grips, clean and repair the old heating elements then order new parts when you know what's needed. You can gaffa tape the old grips back for a week or so until parts arrive.

grips

just took the grip of and presumably if you connect a multimeter accross the wires it should show a dead curcuit ?? have conected the two wires to the meter and it is showing an open curcuit -must be the grip then ???

well have had a good look at the grips and its getting power on low and high -had a good look to see if there is any damage to the circuit on the heater elementbut looks brand new -conected the grip to a 12v battery but zilch- anyway have bit the bullet and ordered a new one of motorworks for 105 quid --i had to order it straight away cos if i thought about it too long i wouldnt buy it ???? just hope it does the trick as i like my comfort -will let u know how it goes-tnx for replies:thumb

£200 for a pair of hand grips heated or otherwise is obscene. I'd rather rip the whole lot out and fit a new throttle control with Oxford grips. They are not exactly low cost but they work reliably and get much hotter.

£200 for a pair of hand grips heated or otherwise is obscene. I'd rather rip the whole lot out and fit a new throttle control with Oxford grips. They are not exactly low cost but they work reliably and get much hotter.

But ... personally speaking my time's worth more than that :cool:

grips

i know they are expensive but ive paid good money for bike and have the skill-to bodge -or otherwise -even if i got a new set of grips -28 quid -then a set of heaters -30 quid- thats half and have to bodge them on -did plug in a grip i had spare and the canbus threw a fit -atleast i will have assurance it will work - i use my bike as a stress buster so i think its worth it - :aidan

But ... personally speaking my time's worth more than that :cool:

I really doubt it makes much difference. BMW sell the throttle side complete with throttle cable winder. So you have to disconnect the cable and faff about reconnecting. You also have to open the switch boxes to connect the wiring.

With aftermarket throttle control you would add the hassle of fitting the new heated rubbers and making the wiring connections not a lot more work TBH.

So you've tested your eBay ones already and they're still going strong after 10 years like the o/e ones?

I was referring to Oxford grips.

I had 5 years from a pair with no problems at the grips or the heaters. The controller, however was complete rubbish. Oxford grips on the BMW would not need their heat controller.

TBH an aftermarket heater should not be a problem. Its only a printed circuit stuck to heat resistant plastic and easy to replace when you fit new grip rubbers. Who knows why BMW have to sell the grips, throttle control and everything except the handlebar itself when all it needs is a heating element and new rubbers.

Heated grips intermittent issue

Mmmm not happy ...

My good ladies 2010 GS is in Chester Motrad with couple of issues, one being heated grips only working occasionally... they have noted them not working once but now say they are working .. so don’t know which part is at fault ( grips or switch ) and they can’t replace without knowing which part is the issue ( warranty job )

So now we are at stale mate ... she wants them working .. they don’t know which part to replace :confused:

If it was the switch the problem would (almost certainly) affect both grips.

The grips themselves are easy to test (as Chester Motorrad will know but can't be ****ed). There should be a resistance at the heated grip connector inside each switch block. All they have to do is open the switch blocks and test with a multimeter.

PS. Have you seen BMW's prices for new heated grips?

If it was the switch the problem would (almost certainly) affect both grips.

The grips themselves are easy to test (as Chester Motorrad will know but can't be ****ed). There should be a resistance at the heated grip connector inside each switch block. All they have to do is open the switch blocks and test with a multimeter.

PS. Have you seen BMW's prices for new heated grips?

Thanks for the reply ... yes both grips are failing at the same time intermittently... she starts a ride with them working then at some stage they both stop heating... I’ve explained this to the dealer, and yes they managed to replicate once .. but now after having bike for over 2 weeks they can’t replicate again ..... as this is a warranty issue they are telling me they have to have failed to consider a claim....

You can peel back the rubbers it might only be dry solder where the wires connect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom