Best grease for drive shaft splines and where to get it ?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi.. anyone any thoughts on this.... Moly 60 appears to be the one to get but who has it that you can trust.. E-bay offerings not always being what they appear.... :)

Hi.. anyone any thoughts on this.... Moly 60 appears to be the one to get but who has it that you can trust.. E-bay offerings not always being what they appear.... :)

Here is a useful find http://cx500forum.com/forum/technic...a-moly-60-paste-vs-loctite-moly-65-paste.html

Further searching finds that Loctite Moly 50/60 is an assembly compound. Cost is about £50 for 500 grams.
Its not a grease for bearings though it would probably be fantastic on bronze bushes.

High moly is great for assembly and on sliding splines but for bearings to much solids content makes too stiff and cheesy.

You worry too much mate, its only a grease. Look for a reputable vendor such as machine tool sales etc, you even get main bike franchised dealerships selling their wares on ebay these days.

You worry too much mate, its only a grease. Look for a reputable vendor such as machine tool sales etc, you even get main bike franchised dealerships selling their wares on ebay these days.

What he says....people worry too much. I use the grease that’s supplied with a car replacement CV gaiter. Most small garages will find you a sachet, you only need a little bit. Or find an artic tractor unit and take a finger full of fifth wheel grease.

Judging by the splines worn triangular on another thread he's probably right to be concerned. BTW, that one needs a new input shaft as well as a new drive shaft.

No it don't... I've got a drive shaft with 2600 miles on it... tried it on their box and tried it on mine... and they were both the same... will work fine with about 0.5mm of side movement on both.... it drives from the back end of the splines in the shaft onto mainly the front of the input shaft, and it's only that the back area in the shaft got worn out that it made contact with the very front... and then only a bit of polishing.... with a new shaft it will work a treat :)

My old unit is in the middle... I also tried their re-manufactured version on both drives... and it was looser on both than the OE unit...

Seriously Bendy... you'd change the input shaft??... I'll bet there are many out there much worst... most of those running according to Motorworks as people don't grease them :nenau

Attachments

• WP_20171114_18_45_43_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171114_18_45_43_Pro.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 8,483
  • WP_20171114_16_06_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171114_16_06_55_Pro.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 8,445
  • WP_20171112_10_33_10_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171112_10_33_10_Pro.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 8,941
  • WP_20171112_10_33_10_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171112_10_33_10_Pro.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 9,101
If you are desperate, pm me your address and I'll send you some rocol moly grease in a polythene bag from our inflam locker at work, I've got loads of industrial tins and we rarely use it, nobody will miss a couple of dollops.

Thanks Pukmeister for your offer... but more interested in what people have to say and their experiances with lubrication of splines... I work in Engineering so sure I can get some (may be some in the machine shop?)... a lot more experiance in oils... never done a lot with Grease so just asking a few questions... May still take you up on it if I can't get sorted though... cheers :thumb2

The first time I took the drive shaft out on my 1100, I degreased it and used a moly dryslide lube (used to use it on gun slides back in the day) - basically minute flakes of molybdenum in a solvent carrier which evaporates). Two or three coats of this burnished between coats and afterwards and then a coat of Honda Moly 60.
30k miles later I took the gearbox off to get it rebuilt and the drive shaft splines were perfect. Almost no evidence of grease left on the splines (just a rim of sticky residue behind them) but the splines still had the dark grey colour from the dryslide / moly residue from the 60% moly content paste. For the U/J's, I used CV joint grease which also has a high moly content (although it's a lot thinner and more like a traditional grease than the paste like Moly 60). I'd imagine that CV joint grease would probably do fine for the splines but might not last as long.

If I ever take the drive shaft out of my 1200, I'll do the same with dryslide and Moly 60.

I bought my moly 60 from a reputable eBay seller (a bike shop from memory)

Have ordered the Honda Moly 60 stuff... so thats me sorted... back together at weekend :)

Back
Top Bottom