Barkbusters for Xcountry

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hmm. It says it is the dedicated kit for the BMW Xcountry, Challenge and Moto, but specifically hasd G650X in bold type. I can't fathom how to fit them, so I phoned Chainspeed and aksed, they said they would contact Australia about it for me....no response despite several chase ups. I have just tried to ring them again at 16.30 today....opening hours until 17.00 Mon-Fri. Nobody home.

I have even taken the bike to a garage to see if they could fit them...they tried, but gave up and put the original stuff back together and the Barkbusters kit back in its plastic bubble packaging.

Anyone know how to get them to fit - or better still, a kit that actually does just bolt on without upsetting the original setup. :confused:

Any help to fit them would be appreciated, whatever make is suggested. It would appear that doing up three nuts and bolts is beyond my capabilities. :mad:

My bike is in work at the moment. I can picture in a few days and post them up if you can wait till then.

Sorry I was busy when you 'phoned Simon ;)

I'll take a photograph of mine over the weekend for you :thumb

:beerjug:

Edit .... found these 'on file'

Let me know if they help ...

i-KMDVkqr-L.jpg

i-kbHQjxh-L.jpg

Thanks for those Micky - it isn't the clamp that is the problem, it is the bar end jiggery-pokery. Mine have 5mm studs holding the bar end weights on, and a cast plug in the bars. The kit has 8mm bolts and some expanding plugs, and the throttle gets upset if we try to fit the busters without the end weight. It might work if I drill out the end weights AND then drill and tap the bar plug casting. A lot of faff to go to.

Urbano muffs going to be fitted when the next frost arrives!

On the xchallenge i seem to remember that you can unscrew an insert from inside each end of the bars so you can use that expanding plug mechanism, though my preferred option is to use a bolt that screws directly into the threaded insert.

I always find the throttle side more tricky to set up right, as they generally need some form of spacer to ensure it rotates freely.

On the xchallenge i seem to remember that you can unscrew an insert from inside each end of the bars so you can use that expanding plug mechanism, though my preferred option is to use a bolt that screws directly into the threaded insert.

I always find the throttle side more tricky to set up right, as they generally need some form of spacer to ensure it rotates freely.

Hmmm. I think I can live without them.....too much faff and kafuffle to get them fitted for my liking. My expertise with things mechanical is limited to putting petrol in the top, air in the bottom and oil in the middle....

Simon

Gareth is correct - all of the G650X's have a threaded plug that screws into the bar ends - it has a M18 outer thread and has a M6 centrally threaded hole ( I know as the M18 thread on my XCountry handlebars had to be re-tapped due to the previous owner cross threading it) . I would just drill and tap the end plugs M8 to suit the Barkbuster fixing screws as suggested or if you wanted you could just completely remove the end plugs

Some pictures below which show the end plug details - also a picture of my BMW OEM hand guards - you can see the end plugs (round outer rather than hexagonal as this part is replaced with OEM kit to clear bar end weight) and the central fixing screw going through the bar end weight

38544036391_3e872b28da.jpg

26768306959_bbb93aa8f9.jpg

37656633735_e14f90c1f2_b.jpg

Do you put the metal bar inside the bar weight, or on the outside of it? If I could mount it on the OUTSIDE en, then the throttle wouldn't be affected in any way. Does anyone know please?

We fitted the BMW hand guards on an 09 (yellow) XCountry. They fitted but the bar end weights were removed.

Cheers.

I am going to take the bike to the Chainspeed gang for them to fit them for me. I think it will be easier and faster than me making a mess of it.

Here ya go Simon ....

Got the 650 out from under the cover, and had a look for ya's :thumb

I kept the original bar end weights but machined about a 1/4" off to get rid of the rounded end, and give the BarkBuster bars something better to mate up to ...

i-M49cbJW-L.jpg

I powder coated the end wights and the bars of the BarkBusters ...

Retained the original alloy end plugs fitted to the handlebars ...

i-wJgXdh8-L.jpg

Cleaned the rust off while I was in there :D

By retaining the bar end weights it looked a lot better and made more room for the levers ...

i-sKJmqvr-L.jpg

i-v3qqHTH-L.jpg

Hope this helps :thumby:

Aint she a beaut ....

i-vs3FNGb-L.jpg

Here ya go Simon ....

Got the 650 out from under the cover, and had a look for ya's :thumb

I kept the original bar end weights but machined about a 1/4" off to get rid of the rounded end, and give the BarkBuster bars something better to mate up to ...

i-M49cbJW-L.jpg

I powder coated the end wights and the bars of the BarkBusters ...

Retained the original alloy end plugs fitted to the handlebars ...

i-wJgXdh8-L.jpg

Cleaned the rust off while I was in there :D

By retaining the bar end weights it looked a lot better and made more room for the levers ...

i-sKJmqvr-L.jpg

i-v3qqHTH-L.jpg

Hope this helps :thumby:

Aint she a beaut ....

i-vs3FNGb-L.jpg

Ideal, thank you. Now I know I can keep the end weights and the bar mounts go outside - much easier! I have a friend with taps and dies and drills and things. I am sure he can help me out. Only just down the road too.....warm hands for the winter not far away now!

Ain't she a beaut? Nah, scrap value only. I would stick with the 800 and let this old heap go.....

By the way. What do people use to keep things looking clean? I spent an hour trying to make mine look like it did before I went out today, but it never works. It was ACF50'd back in the warm days of September, again. I usually use somme ACF50 on a rag and wipe over everywhere I can get the rag.....water beads off, but shite still clings!

Back
Top Bottom