R1200gs lc adventure throttle potentiometer

cbrgaz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just fitted some later model heated grips to my 2014 r1200gs lc adventure and now the motor has gone into limp mode (3k revs max).
Is there a way to reset the throttle potentiometer values without taking it to a dealership?
I have tried the trick from older bikes of disconnecting the battery and switching the grip 3 times etc etc, but it didn't work.

Cheers

Garry

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It should operate ok when re connected, had it once, didnt need to clear the fault, just ignition off,
Bmw do a repair loom with the plug on so it can be an issue,
Have a good look at the connector and pins ,
Do you have any warnings on the display,
pity youre not closer could have run the gs911 on it,

It should operate ok when re connected, had it once, didnt need to clear the fault, just ignition off,
Bmw do a repair loom with the plug on so it can be an issue,
Have a good look at the connector and pins ,
Do you have any warnings on the display,
pity youre not closer could have run the gs911 on it,
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the pins and the female connector and all is good. Can't help but think it need to have the throttle resistance values reset in the ecu. I have an engine warning symbol and a flashing triangle as the engine is in limp mode.

Just had a thought did the right grip come complete ?
Its a lin controller so might require adaption if replaced,
Gs 911 may do it, if not dealer,
If you plug the old one back in it should verify wiring etc and a coding issue,
The warning should go out and run ok, just slip the plug off the new one, no need to remove it,

Just had a thought did the right grip come complete ?
Its a lin controller so might require adaption if replaced,
Gs 911 may do it, if not dealer,
If you plug the old one back in it should verify wiring etc and a coding issue,
The warning should go out and run ok, just slip the plug off the new one, no need to remove it,
You are correct, I did replace the whole module grip and potentiometer. I have tried plugging the old grip back but its still showing the fault code etc. I'm guessing it's as you say a GS-911 or dealer job.

Normally plug the correct unit back in and it should function even if the warning stays on,
did you un plug then slide the throttle and switch gear off or slide it off plugged in, i assume you re fitted the switchgear to the new grip,
the wiring is a bit tender to the throttle, fingers crossed the adaption and a code clear sorts it,

Normally plug the correct unit back in and it should function even if the warning stays on,
did you un plug then slide the throttle and switch gear off or slide it off plugged in, i assume you re fitted the switchgear to the new grip,
the wiring is a bit tender to the throttle, fingers crossed the adaption and a code clear sorts it,
I'll double check the wiring into the throttle again now as I did notice the pins are tiny and could easily be damaged. I have the original unit still on it now, so one hot grip and one cold grip. I have read I can clear the fault code and do the necessary calibration of the throttle potentiometer with a GS-911 WiFi..... Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Where in Cumbria are you?
Alan R

Gs911 will re set throttle valves which may include the twist grip , not certain,
It will read and verify faults status, plus clear stored faults that are fixed,
If its not going over 3 k with the origional back on its either lost adaption or a wiring issue,
A diagnostic is the next step,

Gs911 will re set throttle valves which may include the twist grip , not certain
If its not going over 3 k with the origional back on its either lost adaption or a wiring issue,
A diagnostic is the next step,
I have bought a GS-911 WiFi so should be able to rectify it myself. I think it has lost its adaption.

It is a handy tool, i hope it works for you, share your findings,
Not much info around with the bikes being fairly new,

Ive done throttle adaption with Ista D (dealer tool)

With ignition on and engine off, start with closed throttle and slowly open throttle to full throttle.

Well gs-911 WiFi turned up, and after resetting the locking pins in the delicate female throttle potentiometer connector and do a throttle switch lock adaptation all is well.
Thanks for everyone's help and input.

Cheers

Garry

Are the new grips any hotter?

I ask as I’d like to swap mine as they’re useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the new grips any hotter?

I ask as I’d like to swap mine as they’re useless.

Hi,

Well I changed mine over to the 5.5ohm ones used on the 2015 model r1200gs and can say without a doubt yes. Easily twice as hot and doesn't cause any fault codes etc, also I checked the wiring and the wire gauge is the same between grips, so any scare mongering created by bmw about fitting the later grips is bullsh*t.

Hi,

Well I changed mine over to the 5.5ohm ones used on the 2015 model r1200gs and can say without a doubt yes. Easily twice as hot and doesn't cause any fault codes etc, also I checked the wiring and the wire gauge is the same between grips, so any scare mongering created by bmw about fitting the later grips is bullsh*t.

Brilliant, that’s just what I wanted to hear :)

Back
Top Bottom