would a 2006 bevel box fit a 2011 twin cam

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My mates final drive is playing up.... so he's wanting a new bevel box... We know a bloke whos selling a 2006 unit with low miles... I know the drain plug moved, but is everything else the same?

Thanks

FD Ratios 2004 to 2007 2.82:1 2008 on 2.91:1

The TC FD's are an uprated item which should be more reliable.

What is the 06 FD cost is in relation to the cost of a rebuild i'd be interested to know.

ok.. thanks.. so it would set off quicker.. bit more RPM on the top end....

It a low miles 17K unit and he want £100 for it... re-build?... no idea??

ok.. thanks.. so it would set off quicker.. bit more RPM on the top end....

It a low miles 17K unit and he want £100 for it... re-build?... no idea??

Its entirely possible a 17k FD. Will go another 15k before a rebuild is required. It may do more it may do less. A rebuild on a TC could cost 400 quid or so but at the end of the day it's a TC FD and it's good as new. My TC is on 60k and FD is original.

Early final drives had smaller needle rollers on the input pinion. Patzx12 opened his at 17K and found the bearings were all toast.

But at £100 you have nothing to lose.

Wow... my RS had 95K on it when I sold it... still as solid as anything... these newer bikes are nothing like as well built... 17k and its bearings are toast!!... shocking

Wow... my RS had 95K on it when I sold it... still as solid as anything... these newer bikes are nothing like as well built... 17k and its bearings are toast!!... shocking

My last bike, a 2007 SC, the FD was dodgy at 12k toast at 15k.

My last bike, a 2007 SC, the FD was dodgy at 12k toast at 15k.

How?.. why?... what went?... they must be better than that.... did you get it full of water / mud or something?... thats shocking!!

How?.. why?... what went?... they must be better than that.... did you get it full of water / mud or something?... thats shocking!!

Nope, none of them. Bought at 7.5k by 12 or so k play in wheel. Southport superbikes replaced large wheel bearing, I paid part of cost but by 15k the FD was fecked and I had Mickeyboy rebuild it.

rubbish.... I've just replaced the FAG bearings in the swing arm... just doing the bevel box pivot now and please to say the needle rollers are good... but may replace the deep ball one although its an INA, I think waters go it and for £10 (we get big discount at work) I may as well.... bearings and seals do appear to be a bit of an issue... unless they just used cheapo bearings... never been keen of FAG... did a lot of work with them in Aerospace... switched back to SKF / Warner...

No disrespect to Mike who did a fabulous job

However, at 50K miles I spent many hundreds having the FD serviced, drive shaft U/Js replaced and new paralever bearings with associated parts. The bike was off the road for at least a couple of weeks. At that cost per mile a chain looks cheap and reliable.

But to redress the balance a little ... my 2006 has done 75,000 miles and has not yet had any work on the FD other than regular oil changes. I've been intending to get it overhauled by Mikeyboy but only as a precaution, better planned maintenance than waiting for it to break!

Mikeyboy is great vakue.

went in to my 05 at 65k for a look,its the small pinion bearing version, lucky just caught it,full bearing change I did.

Its on 135k now.

Its an involved job requireing various pullers/sockets and jigs which i made except for the pinion socket which I thank PATZX12 for,

the cost of the bmw parts alone was £250 trade I think.

When it go's again Ill get Mikeyboy to do it as he's geared up to do them and I think what he charges is very resonable considering the work involved:thumby:

Oh and fcuk the chains.

But to redress the balance a little ... my 2006 has done 75,000 miles and has not yet had any work on the FD other than regular oil changes. I've been intending to get it overhauled by Mikeyboy but only as a precaution, better planned maintenance than waiting for it to break!

Mine always had regular oil changes in my care but I bough the bike with 35K on the clock. Who knows what the BMW servicing actually did. The FD oil was horrible when I first changed it. The full strip down was done by Mikey when the wheel bearing seal began to leak. £200 (plus) for a wheel bearing or bite the bullet and do the lot. Mike said it was all "ready" so I was glad to have done the job properly.

Back
Top Bottom