1290 SUPER ADVENTURE S

Get rid of the recirculating charcoal filter black box under the pillion seat and put the tool kit there. You’ll find the bottle opener invaluable

is that just an unplug job? of any hoses or anything to reroute? and am I likely to get any error codes or anything?

thanks

is that just an unplug job? of any hoses or anything to reroute? and am I likely to get any error codes or anything?

thanks

If you do a youtube search you'll find a few vids that can explain it better than me. However in the short term I just threw the charcoal cannister and plugged both ends of the intake and outlet pipes together with a plastic connector to stop it sucking in unfiltered air from an open pipe until the Rottweiller blanking kit and dongle arrived from the USA. No error codes at any stage.

The first option was crude but just a temporary measure, it just meant that fumes were recycled without being filtered. If it had the output of a Chinese coal power station I may have felt guilty, however I still slept soundly with minimal guilt.

I can't see what the rottweiler kit does apart from make sure you don't get coded, which don't seem to appear anyway? I'd have though connecting the hoses together would do the job fine and just bypass the canister?

Premier still have a couple of Black ones - or at least they did yesterday.

Only you know if you prefer the S or the R, I found the S had very stiff suspension (compared to my 1190S) and also wondered of the R might suit me better, but I only ride on the road so don't want a 21" wheel and skinny tyres.

IMO the 1290S is better than the 1190S in every department except suspension which has gone all trendy with the Semi-Active bullshit, a bit like all the shite anti-dive systems of the 1980's someone invents something that sounds great, but does not work, and then all other manufacturers get on the bandwagon.

So I either want an S with R suspension, or an R with S wheels, and for now I will continue to enjoy my 1190S.

Tough choice matey - but you should be pretty happy with either choice.
Job done.....all ready to collect Monday / Tuesday......

Attachments

• D7135900-0586-428A-B5FF-1E039120118F.jpg
    D7135900-0586-428A-B5FF-1E039120118F.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 364
I can't see what the rottweiler kit does apart from make sure you don't get coded, which don't seem to appear anyway? I'd have though connecting the hoses together would do the job fine and just bypass the canister?

I would just plug each pipe as joining them will allow the suction valve to draw in air from the pipe that goes to the filler cap area - not the cleanesr air and may affect the air/fuel mixture (albeit a small amount).

I did post a more complex method here - unfortunately the images don't show any more, although they may if you click on the placeholder.

I only ride on the road so don't want a 21" wheel and skinny tyres.

i thought the same thing, but was proved wrong. Cost me over 4 grand to find out though :)

Can't really speak for the 1290, but find me someone who's ridden both the 1190S and the R, and prefers the S on road.

Can't really speak for the 1290, but find me someone who's ridden both the 1190S and the R, and prefers the S on road.

...................didn't Giles swop from an 1190R to a 1290S ;)

Personally I just do not like 21" wheels on what are after all big road bikes - but each to their own :beerjug:

Personally I just do not like 21" wheels on what are after all big road bikes - but each to their own :beerjug:

Fair comment :)

To be fair though, WTF does Giles know about riding bikes? :D

Andres

i thought the same thing, but was proved wrong. Cost me over 4 grand to find out though :)

You found me

You don't say if you have tried one?

What a fantastic machine........collected the 1290 sas last night from Premier bikes, Oxford...(great service...) rode home to Sheffield in the dark n damp......the very first thing I noticed is how light this bike feels compared with my gsa...also the quick shift is so smooth unlike my quick clonk on the gsa.... took it easy home in all the least powerful settings but boy this thing shifts....where you normally pass three cars in a line you blink and you are past six with this bike.. the heated seats really do warm / burn your ass in the lowest settings. Heated grips are ok but Bmw win that one and also Bmw win for ease of use, just press a button instead of having to take your eyes off the road to scroll through several menus to turn on or adjust on ktm.
Anyway it appears not to like going to work as I pushed it out of the garage this morning...kitted up...jumped on ...pressed the button and......ECU FAILURE....greeted me on the screen and the bike wouldn’t start.......arghhhhhh.......

What a fantastic machine........collected the 1290 sas last night from Premier bikes, Oxford...(great service...) rode home to Sheffield in the dark n damp......the very first thing I noticed is how light this bike feels compared with my gsa...also the quick shift is so smooth unlike my quick clonk on the gsa.... took it easy home in all the least powerful settings but boy this thing shifts....where you normally pass three cars in a line you blink and you are past six with this bike.. the heated seats really do warm / burn your ass in the lowest settings. Heated grips are ok but Bmw win that one and also Bmw win for ease of use, just press a button instead of having to take your eyes off the road to scroll through several menus to turn on or adjust on ktm.
Anyway it appears not to like going to work as I pushed it out of the garage this morning...kitted up...jumped on ...pressed the button and......ECU FAILURE....greeted me on the screen and the bike wouldn’t start.......arghhhhhh.......

Oh shit,that's annoying.

With regard to the grips,you can set shortcuts on the left switch gear up and down buttons.

Got my UP set to heated grips and the DOWN for heated seat. Simple !!

Got my UP set to heated grips and the DOWN for heated seat. Simple !!

Same here.:thumb

Then in the Summer, UP is for ride mode, DOWN is for suspension setting.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom