Alarms - worth fitting?

mw3230

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've always been a bit sceptical about alarms on bikes (and cars for that matter) as everyone seems to ignore them when they activate.

However I'm becoming increasingly concerned about bike security, partly because of all of the tales of woe reported on this forum and partly because I have plans to visit family I London where my bike will need to be left on the street.

I don't currently have an alarm on my 2017 GSA but am wondering about the viability of having a BMW arm retrofitted and the effectiveness of that and other makes of alarm. How easily can the tw*ts disable them? Are they much of a deterrent?

I'm thinking the noise they make isn't much louder than the angle grinder used to cut the chain off the bike and that seems to be ignored by passers by

Any thoughts?

A lot of manufactures of bikes are not fitting alarms, reasoning is they do nothing and nobody takes any notice of them.

IMO
Not worth it at all. My reasoning is
As said no one takes any notice of them
At some point they go wrong and leave you stranded, be that in your garage or at tesco
Constant drain on the battery

Better to fit an alarmed disc lock as this not only makes a noise to alert you or others but also stops the bike being just wheeled away

The price of Bike alarms is not far short of a tracker if you are paranoid about it getting nicked

I would Find a Hotel WITH SECURE PARKING WITH CCTV ! PLUS FIT A bIKEtrac + chain bike frame to something secure. Just pay for the parking.

I've got the BMW alarm on my MY 2016 GS and it's a waste of money IMO. the alarm itself is not loud by any stretch of the imagination, plus you don't get a fob to switch it on and off like the RT etc, but have to activate/deactivate it via the main menu, then it's switched on and off by the ignition.

For my money, Heavy shrouded chain around a post or rail preferably off the ground. And a disc lock.

Back
Top Bottom