ABS PROBLEMS!!!

Jamescarter1045

Reaction score
Ok so had to create an account after my troubleshooting and “knowledge” ran out.

I have a 2003 f650gs with abs. It has been running fine recently after a couple of troublesome years (knocked off and seized rear caliper, all fixed over a year ago and run for few months with no issues since).

I went out today and got 5 minutes from home when my abs light came on. This has never come on whilst riding before. I stopped and turned engine off to see it this would solve the problem. Which then left me stranded as the light didn’t go off and now the bike won’t start at all. I seem to remember reading the light has to go off for the engine to start, and when I try and start it I get a whirring from starter but nothing. I’ve tried bump starting which got the bike running with the abs light still on, but after about 10 secs bike cut out.

I’m at my wits end. I’ve tried turning abs off at the switch but nothing. Sensors haven’t moved. Gaps are all same as before. Battery is agm battery. I have put this on charge as I tried starting so much and wore it down. But he bike as running fine when it came on so shouldn’t be a voltage issue...

I am loathed to go to a dealer and pay through the nose if I can fix it myself. I prefer to do things at home than pay someone else.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. If the light is on when ignition on does this mean the bike wouldn’t start?

Thanks in advance.

James

Hi,

I dont have a 650gs (have 1200gs) but I would not have thought that the ABS failing would stop the bike starting. The fact that you get a whirring noise sounds like your battery is knackered. This also makes sense that you can bump start the bike the abs wont stop the bike running but it could be that your battery is so dead that it stops the alternator output keeping the bike running.

Try a load test on the battery.
Measure the battery voltage without bike on it should be around 12-13V. Then try to measure the voltage whilst trying to start the bike (with the whirring noise) the voltage should not go below 9-10V.

Sounds like duff battery to me.

Goodluck

Ian

Hi Ian

I may have thought the same but I had started the bike 5 minutes previously without issue and was driving it when the abs light came on. It was only after stopping that I could not restart. I am fairly sure I read the abs light should go out after the ignition is switched on. But not sure if it would stop it starting.

I am baffled that it started and ran fine but then when I stopped it would not restart. I am going to let it charge for a good while then retry and will update then.

I know I haven’t been on it as much due to weather and it has a blasted alarm constantly eating away at the battery.

James,

My money is still on the battery. I have had batteries die suddenly, then after jump starting run for a few minutes then stop again.
If the battery is knackered charging may give it enough to start the bike or it may not. On the 1200GS the abs light only goes off after the bike has moved a few metres it doesn't stop the bike running in any way.

The whirring noise? Does it sound like the starter motor is turning the engine over ie trying to start it or is it more a clicking noise (solenoid)?

Ian

It is more of a solenoid clicking but it doesn’t even appear to be coming from the starter, nor efrom under the dash...?🧐

Got the bike on charge to get some decent power in the battery then will give it a go later tonight. Fingers crossed it is just the battery, although that cost 45 quid in itself 😞

If solenoid clicking sounds like its the battery or maybe a bad connection to the battery.

If the battery is dead then charging overnight still might not start the bike. If after charging it still doesn't work I would get the battery tested or try jumpstart from another bike or car.

How old is the batterY?

Let me know how it goes.

Ian

I tried to help you, it would be nice to know if you solved the problem?

Ian

Back
Top Bottom