Ring ring, ring ring. Hello, my rear brake is making a screeching noise.

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
That maybe because your pads are worn down to the metal, i replied.

Bring it in....

But i was completely wrong.

It had worn through the metal brake pad backing and was now wearing it's way through the "arms" on the caliper.. :D..

Nothing to do with mechanical sympathy just the kind of person who really should not be operating machinery without adult supervision.

How the hell do you not realise firstly that the pads have gone metal to metal and then continue on, never mind a suitably large bill might focus them in the future.

Well they got their moneys worth out of the pads, Im suprised they even managed to stop !!

"mechanical sympathy"

There was a time when you simply didn't get away with riding a Bike without at least some mechanical sympathy, or at least awareness.
There were many reasons - financial for one, but sheer mechanical crudeness for another, that meant you HAD to be able to fix the bugger yourself a lot of the time - perhaps at the side of the road. :rolleyes:
But now there are riders who put no thought or work into that aspect of riding a Bike.
Some don't even grasp basic physics as applied to a Bike.
E.G: they fling their Bike into a hedge halfway around a bend - and then blame the 'involuntary loss of traction' on the severity of the brakes as the cause / not their own ham fisted non appreciation of how much throttle or brake they applied at the time. :blast
Add ABS / TCS / slipper clutches / 'modes' to select / self aware 'tilt' sensors / eCall .... :blagblah
There's a whole load of people out there that seriously have no clue. :eek:

At the other end, as protection from them - what we got? The MOT Test. :banghead:

(and it's a test i don't agree should be necessary because most riders DO take care of the Bike - it's in their self preservation interest to do so!
And before i'm attacked for that, it's a matter i have studied and FWIW the stats agree with me that it makes little or no difference whether a country has an "MOT" or not - the crash stats remain the same - e.g; Sweden has no MOT, Finland and Norway do. Crash stats about the same; approx 1% of crashes are due to mechanical failure.)
:p

He could've ploughed into a bus stop full of kids outside a school at home time...

Yeah - that's always good for business............. :rolleyes:

That's not the kind of business I'd want to earn a living from, that particular rider deserves ridicule/disciplining !

I've seen a case where the pad wasn't fitted properly and it dropped out, could this be what has happened here?

Back
Top Bottom