Potential 1100 owner

El Kabong

Reaction score
Hello! I've just stumbled onto this site tonight as I'm researching the r1100gs. About an hour ago I sold my 08 vstrom 650 and have found a 99 r1100gs that has 57k miles, full service records since new and quite a few upgrades (touratech frame reinforcements, corbin heated seats with backrests, new tires, ss brake lines, fully serviced in the past 100 miles, etc..) The fellow is asking $3600. After spending hours and hours reading about these bikes, I'm 90% sure I'd like to give it a try. Any input from the owners of these bikes would be greatly appreciated!:bounce1

Welcome to UKGSer

The 1100 is a great bike but you are looking at a bike that is 18 years old so condition is everything. The extras you mention are 'nice to have' but I dont think you should be paying a premium for them, braided lines on an 18 year bike are to be expected for example. Does the bike have now, or had in the past, ABS? How does it ride, any suspension upgrades? How long has the owner had the bike?

$3600 is on the high side or would be considered so over here unless the bike is exceptional

Hi and welcome.

The 1100 is a fantastic bike - I've had mine for coming up 20 years and 167K miles. I've never been tempted to upgrade, although the LC really is a step up and worth my consideration.

The 99 has the upgraded gearbox so you should have no worries with that. My final drive needed an overhaul at 114K miles but the engine has never been touched nor the ABS.
Don't expect it to be like a modern bike - it may take a while for you to get used to it but once you understand what it's capable of then it's Zen all the way :D

I know these are fetching good money in the States - I had mine over there last year and it was much commented on, either people would never sell their's or wish they hadn't - so you shouldn't lose money on it if you sell in a year or 2.

UKGSer is a great resource - go for it and enjoy

:beerjug:

Welcome to UKGSer

The 1100 is a great bike but you are looking at a bike that is 18 years old so condition is everything. The extras you mention are 'nice to have' but I dont think you should be paying a premium for them, braided lines on an 18 year bike are to be expected for example. Does the bike have now, or had in the past, ABS? How does it ride, any suspension upgrades? How long has the owner had the bike?

$3600 is on the high side or would be considered so over here unless the bike is exceptional

Thanks! I've talked alot with the guy selling it...so I've got a pretty good idea of the history. The bike has been taken very good care of, from what I'm being told. Ride is good, suspension is stock, and it does have ABS with no problems. The owner has had it for the past 17k miles and taken it to nicaragua, baja, etc. Over here the lowest price I have found (nationwide) on a 98-99 GS is $2500 and those bikes all have over 100k miles on them.

Thanks! Yes, they are hard to come by over here. I am looking forward to having it around for a long time and learning to do all the work...and the Zen. Thanks for the encouragement. There's a guy on advrider.com out of Texas who, as of his last sighting, had turned over 600k miles on his. At 530k, the engine still hadn't been rebuilt. I'm grateful that I've found this site, thanks for all the info!

Thanks! Yes, they are hard to come by over here. I am looking forward to having it around for a long time and learning to do all the work...and the Zen. Thanks for the encouragement. There's a guy on advrider.com out of Texas who, as of his last sighting, had turned over 600k miles on his. At 530k, the engine still hadn't been rebuilt. I'm grateful that I've found this site, thanks for all the info!

Basic serving is very easy. I had a gsjohn chip fitted a couple of years ago, an excellent addition I think (see oilhead thread).
:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom