First service cost... Ouch!

jojitsu

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just booked my DCT in for its 600 mile service: £170!!! It's a reputable shop and the guy there said they don't just do an oil charge, the take callipers off etc, and said it'd be cheaper if I bought the bike from them, but blimey, that's about £70 more than I was expecting!

They take the calipers off at 600 miles and they charge customers who didn't buy their bike from them more to do the same work?

It sounds like a punishment beating :augie

Run away now !

I think I spent a shed load more than that for the GS :blast

Just booked my DCT in for its 600 mile service: £170!!! It's a reputable shop and the guy there said they don't just do an oil charge, the take callipers off etc, and said it'd be cheaper if I bought the bike from them, but blimey, that's about £70 more than I was expecting!

Serviced mine myself.

Went over the bike and re-torqued all 'significant bolts' to make sure they were correct. About 4 were out very slightly.

Engine Oil Filter, Clutch Oil Filter, Sump Washers and seal ring all came to £ 23.52 including VAT
Engine Oil - Castrol Power 1 came to £ 30.39 including VAT

So all in total £ 53.91 inc VAT ... at Dealer bulk discounts they must pay about half that. It's pennies..

The nice thing is the oil filters only need to be changed every other service (not every service), so that's every 16,000 miles (if my memory is right).

So next oil change will only cost about £32 in 8000 miles

Cheap bike :)

Bloody bargain! I paid £293 for the 600 mile service on my GS Rallye.

Apparently KY jelly doesn’t come cheap :blast

That is criminal. Absolutely criminal.

It should have cost you no more than £100 at the dealers. Tops. It's only oil and filter (inc final drive) change unless your bike was over 1 year old in which case they've pulled in the brake fluid change (which is about £90 extra)

Why they taking the calipers off? That's not right?

They've heard about the 'Africa Twin' Sept deal I think, and are now retaliating against it to recover some profit.

Honda probably appeased them by saying "don't worry, think of all the lambs to the slaughter" (ahem, I mean customers to their 600 mile service) where you can charge what you like?

I don't want to do it myself for reasons such as warranty, service book stamp, not enough time.. After the first 3 years if I decide to keep it, that will no doubt change.. I might have a phone around to compare with other honda main dealers that are close enough to me..

2 shops both quoted £110, however my best mate is a mechanic so I got the bits just over £50 and he did it and stamped my book

2 shops both quoted £110, however my best mate is a mechanic so I got the bits just over £50 and he did it and stamped my book

:thumb

£110 everywhere near to me. Essex

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

They take the calipers off at 600 miles and they charge customers who didn't buy their bike from them more to do the same work?

It sounds like a punishment beating :augie

Run away now !

Some dealers include the labour element of the 1st service in the purchase price of the bike. This was the case for my Yamaha, but not my BMW. The Yamaha cost £65 for the oil & parts at 1st service. The BMW cost nearly £200 due to addition of labour, plus the oil is about 3 times the price of Yamalube. So, if this dealer does the same as my local Yamaha dealer they are going to charge more for the service as they did not get the labour element of the "on the road" costs.
The caliper thing sounds like bollocks though.

Back
Top Bottom