Between Ijmuiden and the Alps?

Yodagoat

Reaction score
We usually stop of at Vianden to break the journey up. is there anywhere else folk would recommend trying or is Vianden the popular choice?

Cochem in the Mosel Valley :thumby: It’s a lovely place with plenty of bars and restaurants :beerjug:

00f3522e9d6862064b4fb2b00fcd000e.jpg

ef4f144761c4b20c855188c1dc22d6b0.jpg

Hotel de la Poste in Bouillon is really nice, bit is maybe a bit more out of the way.

I also really like the Grand Hotel in Etternach which is not far from Vianden, Hotel is nice with pool / steam / sauna and the town (5 min walk) is very pleasant with a good selection of bars and restaurants.

Stayed at both twice last year and plan to use them both again in 2018.

I’ll second Cochem as a nice wee toon.
And if you can’t find a hotel, there’s a nice one a few miles along the road at Klotten where the gaffer is a fine cook.

Further west, try Spa and Bastogne.

Or Hockenheim and/or Speyer Technic Museum(s). There are 2.

I’ll second Cochem as a nice wee toon.
And if you can’t find a hotel, there’s a nice one a few miles along the road at Klotten where the gaffer is a fine cook.

Klaus at the Hotel Zur Post :beerjug: Lovely guy and definitely a great chef

Lots of good towns and hotels around Vianden, as it's tourist land. Clervaux, to name but one.

Google and a bit of TripAdvisor / Booking.com mixed in with a decent dollop of imagination, really are your best friends, as you know what you want.

I was going to PM you and ask if Klaus and Bettina were still running the place. I’m looking to take a group there next year like the trip you ran in 2003 :D

I haven't been for years to be honest as I prefer Cochem for its dining and drinking options, but Bettina is nowhere to be seen on the hotel website and she always used to be - I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing it's divorce at best :confused:

Which part of the Alps?

Either way, just under 3 hours to great roads due South. Simmerath biker ranch, then Cochem. Then pick twisty roads from there to minimise motorways...

On the outskirts of Luxembourg City, near to the airport is a restaurant with rooms. The rooms are great, there is secure parking and the location fantastic - just off the motorway but in Seningerberg, a quiet dormitory suburb with very good public transport into the city if you fancy a day off the bike

The piece de resistance however if the restaurant. Fantastic Italian cooking. Not just pizza and pasta but a range of 'proper'.rustic dishes, all served in friendly, not too expensive surroundings by great staff. have a look here -

http://castelloborghese.lu/accueil.html

Also on booking.com. Great for a stopover or longer. I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Thanks guys. Bouillon is another favourite. Cochem will be getting a look. We'll be heading to the Tyrol Alps via the far south of Germany.
I should have said we usually camp too!

Cheers

Mike

There is a nice campsite just outside Bourg Fidele, on the road to Rocroi in the Ardennes. It has a little bar and restaurant - Eric, the owner, was a biker so a great reception. Rocroi is a Vauban fortified town (star shaped) but mainly overlooked by tourists and all the better for it. :thumby:

Thanks guys. Bouillon is another favourite. Cochem will be getting a look. We'll be heading to the Tyrol Alps via the far south of Germany.
I should have said we usually camp too!

Cheers

Mike

Just north of Cochem is a small village called Winningen with a campsite on an island in the Mosel.
It's run by Thomas Lange and his Kiwi wife Joanne, food is superb, and if you turn up on a bike the camping is cheap, as they know you will probably eat in the on site restaurant.
Don't go riding with Thomas, as he's a ex German road race champion :D :green gri

Esch-sur-sure is also a lovely place not far from Vianden, quite small and possibly only has a couple of small Hotels, I like to stop here for lunch when touring around Luxembourg, but would prefer to stay in Echternach as it has a decent sized town so plenty of places to eat and drink, there is also a good Bar in the town square with a good selection of beers which seems to attract a few locals and is a good place to hang out for some post dinner drinks.

I really don't think you can go too far wrong with stopping anywhere in Luxembourg or many of the Belgium Ardennes towns, although I have yet to find a really good Hotel in La Roche En Ardenne, Bastogne is also OK with a good choice of eateries in the town and lots of WW2 interest if your there a bit longer.

Just north of Cochem is a small village called Winningen with a campsite on an island in the Mosel.
It's run by Thomas Lange and his Kiwi wife Joanne, food is superb, and if you turn up on a bike the camping is cheap, as they know you will probably eat in the on site restaurant.
Don't go riding with Thomas, as he's a ex German road race champion :D :green gri

That sounds good :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom