2017 1090 Adventure

Having bought a new GS yesterday I was at Premier Bikes looking at a 1090 for everyday commuting and riding (don’t ask!)
Having only once ridden a KTM before (1290 super adventure, but that was at InMoto and I had no chance to open it up in busy Croydon roads), here’s my mini review...

First impressions: looks nice in the mostly black with a bit of orange - not a fan of the 1290S white and orange colour scheme. Looks very solidly built, rear shock looks well-protected and love the massive, solid x-ring chain (BMW - take note!). Sitting on the bike, it doesn’t feel lofty or top heavy at all, seat initially feels OK, bars, seat and pegs all in the right place.

Electronics: I had the TC warning come in a couple of times giving it a bit of beans over slightly rough, potholed road (in Street), but everything felt very solid. Clocks are easy to understand and nicely laid out. Just a shame there’s no dedicated heated grip button. Oddly when resetting the trip values etc everything started from zero but average fuel consumption took about 20 minutes to start registering a value - perhaps the bike needs to be stationary or turned on and off first?
Gearbox: feels nice and slick, no quick shifter fitted but feels quite different to the GS - not necessarily better, just different.

Brakes: great, and very similar to the GS (4-piston radial Brembos).

Suspension: the 1090 has manual suspension with no adjustment at the front and (I believe) preload and rebound at the rear. I would assume the demo is set up as a standard single rider, and it felt fine as is. If I owned one I might soften the rebound damping a touch as it was a little on the firm side, but maybe a better seat would solve that problem. Not terrible, and again, different to the GS rather than better/worse.

Seat: initially fine but over time became a bit wooden. I’m sure the ergo seats would sort it as others have said (and the GS seat is no better). Seat height feels fine and just as manageable as the GS with a low seat - but the 1090 is clearly quite a bit lighter as it is much easier to get off the side stand and feels lighter and more agile in general. Part of this may be down to the skinnier 110/150 tyres.

Screen: only tried it in the high position but not great, quite a bit of buffering and wind noise. Nothing an MRA X-screen wouldn’t fix.

Handling: sublime, again very different to the GS with telelever/paralever but loves to be thrown around, as you would probably expect of a KTM!

Engine: I’ve left this last as it’s the best bit of the bike. Despite having similar power and torque values to the GS the delivery is quite different. Significantly less torque from idle, likes to be rev’ed and a wonderful engine and exhaust note in stock form. Easy to ride in traffic, but still very long-legged and actually felt better cruising at 70 than the GS.

So in short I really liked it - whilst it may seem odd to be considering it in addition to a 1200GS, they’re very different in most areas - engine layout, drivetrain, suspension etc. - and I could really see me riding it every day. Where the GS is effortlessly competent, the KTM is a bit more raw and exciting. The fact that 4 dealers have unregistered new bikes at under £10K isn’t helping!

Finally, having never been there before I was impressed with Premier - everyone said hello, they got me out on a demo at 3pm on a Saturday, friendly without being in the slightest pushy or salesman-like, and the dealership looks very nicely laid out and chock full of bikes and equipment. I did have the nagging feeling I’d been here before - was there a different dealership on this site? I vaguely remember trying a used F800ST years ago and the roads seemed very familiar...

Premier bikes new site was once a Harley dealer.

To the right of the shop there was a used bike section for bikes other than Harley. That bit was run by a very knowledgeable nice chap called Darren. Understand he now owns and runs a pet shop.

Premier bikes new site was once a Harley dealer.

To the right of the shop there was a used bike section for bikes other than Harley. That bit was run by a very knowledgeable nice chap called Darren. Understand he now owns and runs a pet shop.

Spot on. I remember it now! Thanks.

Darren is still there, assuming we mean the same fella called Darren, or at least he was about four weeks ago when I last popped in.

@Matty,

The rear suspension is adjustable for pre-load and rebound, but not played with mine much due to crap weather, but you are right in that it feels OK as it comes. The grips are a PITA, on the 1190 they work nicely from the favourites menu, but not so with the 1090, but only a few button presses now and again, so not a deal breaker IMO.

The average MPG takes several miles to give a reading so whenever you reset a trip it can take a good few minutes / miles before the display gives a reading.

Lots of aftermarket screens to choose from, the KTM touring is not bad, but if your over 6 foot the only thing likely to completely throw wind over your head is the huge Puig Touring one.

The seat sucks, as did the one on my 1190, luckily for me they all interchange on the Adventure range so I can use my 1190 Ergo ones - only about £130 for just the rider seat and worth every penny (ignoring the fact they should be adequate to start with) and in my case essential for anything more than about 30 minutes in the seat at a time.

£10k is a bargain, I paid a couple of grand less for one with 3k on the clock and luggage as it seemed like too good a deal to pass up - like you as a second bike, perfect!

Darren is still there, assuming we mean the same fella called Darren, or at least he was about four weeks ago when I last popped in.

Nick is talking about Darren who used to work at Oxford Harley-Davidson not Darren Green who is the Sales Manager at Premier :thumb2

@Matty,

The rear suspension is adjustable for pre-load and rebound, but not played with mine much due to crap weather, but you are right in that it feels OK as it comes. The grips are a PITA, on the 1190 they work nicely from the favourites menu, but not so with the 1090, but only a few button presses now and again, so not a deal breaker IMO.

The average MPG takes several miles to give a reading so whenever you reset a trip it can take a good few minutes / miles before the display gives a reading.

Lots of aftermarket screens to choose from, the KTM touring is not bad, but if your over 6 foot the only thing likely to completely throw wind over your head is the huge Puig Touring one.

The seat sucks, as did the one on my 1190, luckily for me they all interchange on the Adventure range so I can use my 1190 Ergo ones - only about £130 for just the rider seat and worth every penny (ignoring the fact they should be adequate to start with) and in my case essential for anything more than about 30 minutes in the seat at a time.

£10k is a bargain, I paid a couple of grand less for one with 3k on the clock and luggage as it seemed like too good a deal to pass up - like you as a second bike, perfect!

The 1090 looks like it has a single piece seat for rider and pillion - can you fit ergo rider seat without also having to buy a separate rear seat?

No you can't

On the twin seat set up the pillion seat holds the riders seat in place. So to remove the riders seat the pillion seat has to be removed first :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom