charging light ,alternator

chrisshrops

Reaction score
Hi Folks
My gen light has stays on the r100 rt, and yep its not charging the battery .
I did the wire test on the regulator 3 pin plug and its come up as an alternator fault
I have changed the carbon brushes and springs ,still no charge anything else I should look at or is it a new rotor ? next question has anyone used the replica from motobins?if so any good.

I believe a check of the resistance across the alternator is next step, apparently a tendency to crack wire just before connection. I've thought about buying one of those motor works ones as a spare should I head for the continent.

I have used the Motobins pattern part in the past. At the price difference between the OEM Bosch unit and this one its total no brainer - why wouldn't you ! and it was fine.

If you really want to spend OEM money on just a rotor, better still is the 600w upgrade that Motorworks do - complete system (rotor, stator, diode board etc etc) for a bit more money but better value.....I have one on my G/S and its great

You need to know the output voltage. When the regulator fails you have a good chance of cooking the battery on over volts but never once seeing the charge light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need to know the output voltage. When the regulator fails you have a good chance of cooking the battery on over volts but never once seeing the charge light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s not charging at all,hence the test on the regulator with the wire between the pins

I will get a multi meter on the slip rings and test the rotor, I will have another look at the diode board thanks for your help so far

Charging light off when ign on is the usual sign of a failed rotor.
In case you're not aware.. when testing the rotor in position put some insulation under the brushes.
Somewhere I have a copy of a test diagram and procedure for the diode board if you need it. Obtained from the 'net so you shouldn't have a problem finding it yourself.

thanks folks, I managed to get my haynes back from a mate, so I will go through the lot and find the problem, its original so in fairness it could be anything, apart from the brushes which were the first thing I swapped

I had a similar issue, sounds like its the voltage regulator.

I have a spare diode board, rotor and regulator - following sale of my GS paralever. Only thing is .. they're in Ireland. Let me know if you'd like more details.

I have a spare diode board, rotor and regulator - following sale of my GS paralever. Only thing is .. they're in Ireland. Let me know if you'd like more details.
thank you sir , I have some spares not sure how good they are yet , i will find out over the weekend if I'm not stuck at work

Back
Top Bottom