Front right caliper query

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The front right caliper on my 2001 850R has a strange cylindrical bit where a bleed nipple would normally be located. Am I correct in assuming this would nave been something to do with the ABS system that has been removed?
Can this simply be unbolted and replaced with a bleed nipple? If not, how does one go about bleeding it?

My recollection is that strange-looking piece is the factory-installed plug, has nothing to do with the ABS. Just swap it out for a standard bleed nipple and all will be fine. (Often you find a previous owner already did. It's a bit unusual to find a bike where that swap wasn't made, I believe.)

It's the same bleeder unit used on the 1150 hydraulic clutch. Remove grub screw and insert standard Bmw bleed nipple to bleed it. It was used for back filling of brake fluid at the factory, quicker and less air in the system.

My recollection is that strange-looking piece is the factory-installed plug, has nothing to do with the ABS. Just swap it out for a standard bleed nipple and all will be fine. (Often you find a previous owner already did. It's a bit unusual to find a bike where that swap wasn't made, I believe.)

Judging by the state of the brake fluid I reckon it may be the original fluid! Only 16 years old though :D
I expect copious amounts of rubber will be evident. I have goodridge hoses on order, so hopefully that will also solve the slight ‘dragging’ of the callipers.

Replaced the thingy with bleed nipple and fitted the new hoses today. I now have a free spinning front wheel. Happy days!

Still only a ladies 850R though, us men have the 1150R :augie

;):D

I had an 1150R a few years ago. I didn’t get on with it, although the six speed box with a great cruising top gear was handy. I also find them ugly. The 850/1100 and 1200 look OK I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom