4 - 5 days trento to roscoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

joegrimes

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any suggestions for routes from trento to roscoff, staying in trento for 5 nights doing several loops in the area then want to head for ferry via mont cenis taking in grimsel pass and eiger, any other recommended passes or routes, we'll be doing a few of these while in trento, http://www.trentinoinmoto.it/EN/motorbike-routes-italy/

That's near enough 1000 miles and you want routes?

Just pumping in Trento to Roscoff, via Eiger into Google maps shows you the way. Look at the blue line, look at what lies either side of it. Look at the number of days you have set aside to ride the 1000'ish miles and see what you think would suit you and your idea of a holiday. How did you get yourself to Trento in the first place?

Me? I'd maybe go via the Morvan and then on the diagonal to roughly Le Mans and then to Roscoff. Or I'd go roughly Limoges, Tours, Roscoff. What I'd see and do along the way would depend on if I fancied spending a day or half a day somewhere seeing something and then maybe lob in a stretch of mototorway to make the time up.... or get up earlier the next day, instead of the usual leisurely start at 11 and lunch at 12:30.

Have a go at it and ping your ideas up here, preferably in something like a Google map route format. Everyone can then see what you have as an idea and help you from there.

i could use 6 full days for the run to roscoff, not afraid to hit motorways to get to poi, but was wondering if anyone had recommendations for places or things to see along the route.

OK, there is plenty to see over 1000 miles, depending on which way you go, what you might have seen in the past and / or what you have no interest in.

Running south of Lyon to Montpellier (so sort of the opposite direction you want to go in but you can make up time) is a 'small" mountain range (Pilat / L'Ardeche) all good riding, gorges and all that sort of stuff. Then across, over the Millau bridge, then.... across to Oradour and wend your way up... or hit the chateaus and castles of the Loire or stop off at Le Mans for the museuem or, if you are going in June, the weekend of the 24 hour race itself.... when are you going by the way?

RiDE magazine, has lots of ideas of routes across France to the Alps. Adopt and adapt them.

Any suggestions for routes from trento to roscoff, staying in trento for 5 nights doing several loops in the area then want to head for ferry via mont cenis taking in grimsel pass and eiger, any other recommended passes or routes, we'll be doing a few of these while in trento, http://www.trentinoinmoto.it/EN/motorbike-routes-italy/

Blimey, you've got off light. Is wapping getting old or something?!

Useful looking site you got there btw.:thumb2

Consider riding the mid section of RDGA on your way back, it will only add a day still leaving you five, others know a lot more about much of the route than I do, but I can tell you the Cevennes area is very good (only ridden a small bit of it, but planning to do a bit more on my Alps trip this year), from there you get into the Volcans region which is also very nice (plan to go there myself this year)

Really is so many great routes and places to visit, things to see - but 6 days is enough time to manage a great route rather than blast motorway (except maybe the last day)

Lots of great options there you will be in the meat of good riding country.
I would say don't have a plan take it a day at a time, its all good.
Can we come?

This might work, perhaps?

It's just hacked out by inserting points into Google maps on an iPad, so I have not dragged the route to follow specific roads.

https://goo.gl/maps/FR9Hobk8nPt

db0d4634a68ccdd3fe438cce35579ef0.jpg

For example, you could bend the route to pass by Lyon, then down through the small mountain range I mentioned in a post above. Then, after the Millau bridge bend it again to pass up - through the Masif Central - towards Clermont-Ferrand, before turning left'ish to take in Oradour. You could, depend on time, then maybe deviate to take in the U-boat pens (see other threads) and / or the standing stones at Carnac. That's if you don't have a burning desire to see the 24 hour museum at Le Mans (or the race itself if you go on the right weekend in June) castles or just spend time sitting in cafes, watching the world go by..... over to you now.

PS Moved to the French section, only as once you have cleared the Eiger you are into France to get to Roscoff

This website, it's German but has an English menu too, will give you half decent routes:

https://kurviger.de/en

Play around, you can't break it. I am running it quite happily on my iPad, just from the website above

In Dutch but you'll get the gist of it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L5DwlYz1CoE" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you want to download the app to an iOS phone, they have teamed up with scenic app:

https://docs.kurviger.de/app/faq/ios

The motoplaner site does much the same thing but I think it's only in German. Even so, you can work out fairly quickly what the words and buttons do:

http://www.motoplaner.de

There are also some YouTube videos of the app in action, which might help as well.

If you download the free ViaMichelin app, you can muck around in that, too. Each piece of software will throw up different ideas but that's probably inevitable as you are looking to travel about 1000 miles.

It's a long drag across France to get to the interesting stuff (notwithstanding folk will counter that there's lot's to do in mid France).

Just thinking of an alternative I like to plan loop rides. It does not look as though you can get to Spain from Ireland, but you could pop over to England and go south to Portsmouth/Plymouth for a ferry to Santander/Bilbao.

This then gives you a route with the potential to tick off the Pico's and Pyrenees, a short hop across the French south coast to link into the French Alps with the opportunity to see the Italian lakes before getting to the Dolomites.

You can then experience France on your return back to Roscoff.

That’s an interesting - and pretty good - suggestion from Coops. Maybe reverse it for your return, unless you are stuck with arriving and returning via Roscoff?

I've more or less got the outward route sorted, day one Omagh to Newcastle via Cairnryan using main roads with a couple of stops, day two IJmuiden to Frankfurt via Arnhem, day three Frankfurt to Salzburg via Dachau, day 4 Salzburg to Lienz via eagles nest and Grossglockner, day 5 Lienz to Trento then Trento for 4-5 nights, leaving 5 days back to roscoff, I'm still trying to sort this bit as there's a lot to see on way back, we've done oradour, Carcassonne & millau, thinking maybe try some balcony roads, as I said not afraid to hit motorway to make up miles, some great suggestions in above posts I've tagged them in Google maps and trying to plan a route with 1-2 point each day on way back.

I've more or less got the outward route sorted, day one Omagh to Newcastle via Cairnryan using main roads with a couple of stops, day two IJmuiden to Frankfurt via Arnhem, day three Frankfurt to Salzburg via Dachau, day 4 Salzburg to Lienz via eagles nest and Grossglockner, day 5 Lienz to Trento then Trento for 4-5 nights, leaving 5 days back to roscoff, I'm still trying to sort this bit as there's a lot to see on way back, we've done oradour, Carcassonne & millau, thinking maybe try some balcony roads, as I said not afraid to hit motorway to make up miles, some great suggestions in above posts I've tagged them in Google maps and trying to plan a route with 1-2 point each day on way back.

Some thoughts/options.

After Arnhem you could have a look at the Dambuster dams - Mohne etc.

The National Liberation museum in Nijmegen is also worth a visit.

Going down the scenic centre of Germany is an option. Marburg is a nice historic place to stay with an energetic walk up to the central church.

Not sure why you have chosen Frankfurt as a stop. Nuremburg is a great alternative. Lots of original buildings with a perimeter wall and of course you can go to the scene of the Nuremberg trials which is well done and thought provoking.

Keeping the war theme going you can visit Rommel's grave in a low key church just outside Ulm.

I have not been to the Eagle's Nest, put off by it's touristy nature and needing a bus to get there (could be wrong on the last bit).

An alternative is to go further south down the valley to Werfen, the castle from Where Eagles Dare (Redford/Eastwood).

..., Trento for 4-5 nights, leaving 5 days back to roscoff, I'm still trying to sort this bit as there's a lot to see on way back, we've done oradour, Carcassonne & millau, thinking maybe try some balcony roads, as I said not afraid to hit motorway to make up miles, some great suggestions in above posts I've tagged them in Google maps and trying to plan a route with 1-2 point each day on way back.

There’s a lot to see.... and Trento to Roscoff is a long way for bods to suggest to you routes to take.

At least they know that Roscoff is your ‘must do’ final destination and to avoid sending you to the three ‘must do’ sites, as you’ve already done them.

Good website - I haven't seen that one before; it's now bookmarked. Ta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom