Calais to sachsenring

Mad Paddy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any Suggestions for a good route for this journey going in July
Leaving Calais sun morning to arrive at circuit in sachsenring Thursday morning
Thks

Go to: https://kurviger.de/en

Insert start point, drop down and insert end point. Select type of road(s) you want out of the choice of three. Hit calculate. Look to see if you like what it displays. If you do, job done. If you don't report back.

Things to see and do en-route? What sort of things appeal to you?

That's a great route planner Wapping, thanks for posting it :beerjug:

Go to: https://kurviger.de/en

Insert start point, drop down and insert end point. Select type of road(s) you want out of the choice of three. Hit calculate. Look to see if you like what it displays. If you do, job done. If you don't report back.

Ooh, I like that - will have a play to sort a route from Bad Bertrich in Eiffel(ish) to Goslar in Harz for next June. Says over 7 hours in default mode. Google says 4.5 hours by quickest route.

Any Suggestions for a good route for this journey going in July
Leaving Calais sun morning to arrive at circuit in sachsenring Thursday morning
Thks

Simpler still:

Put your start point and end point into Google maps.

Look at the blue line. It's basically a straight line, west to east.

Bend the blue line down to go through the Ardennes, then trog / hoon along eastwards towards say, Fulda. Then work your way towards the race track. Zoom in on the map. If it looks green, hilly and wiggly, it probably is.

Want to get advanced? Work out which of the political states the area of the circuit is in. Then go to the kurvenkoenig website (see sticky) - who devide Germany up politically - to find routes around the area(s) that suit you. You'll need to mix and match a bit but, that's half the fun..... and it's seven months before you go.

Here's a reasonably good political map:

Germany-political-map.gif

Indeed, except when I tried to plot a route from Sandwich (Kent) to Portsmouth it started at South Sandwich Island.:blast

Some idiots on these pages would have downloaded it and then asked their GPS to 'Take me to start point'. Trust me.

Given the amount of time you’re allowing yourself I’d go through the Ardennes and Luxembourg then keep going in a WSW kind of direction until I got to the Bayerischerwald then head north along the German/CZ Republic border where there are some lovely roads and plenty of small campsites or hotels to choose from.

I always suggest this but it’s worth getting to Saxony a bit early then visiting the bike museum at Augustusburg Castle and Colditz Castle for the obvious war museum while you’re in the area. If you’ve got plenty of time allocated for the return I’d also recommend taking the short drive from the Sachsenring to Dresden and spending an afternoon and evening there.

Be prepared for some serious alcohol abuse at the Sachsenring and if you’re camping take earplugs and expect to be falling asleep during the day :beerjug:

Andy's suggestion is a good one.

The answer(s) to the OP's question can only really be given when he tells us something about what he wants to see and do. If he's already been, seen, done and bought the t-shirt, the Ardennes....then us suggesting it as first place to pass through is wasted. He could do the Harz, or the Baltic coast (few people from the UK ever go there) or the whole Czech thing, as Andy suggests. A 'good route' for several days - as a part of a holiday - can be just about anything anyone wants it to be.

Given the amount of time you’re allowing yourself I’d go through the Ardennes and Luxembourg then keep going in a WSW kind of direction until I got to the Bayerischerwald then head north along the German/CZ Republic border where there are some lovely roads and plenty of small campsites or hotels to choose from.

I always suggest this but it’s worth getting to Saxony a bit early then visiting the bike museum at Augustusburg Castle and Colditz Castle for the obvious war museum while you’re in the area. If you’ve got plenty of time allocated for the return I’d also recommend taking the short drive from the Sachsenring to Dresden and spending an afternoon and evening there.

Be prepared for some serious alcohol abuse at the Sachsenring and if you’re camping take earplugs and expect to be falling asleep during the day :beerjug:

I googled Augustusburg and this came up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustusburg_and_Falkenlust_Palaces,_Brühl which is nowhere near Saxony but near Colgne. It's in range for a daytrip from where the UKRM old gimmers are staying at Bad Bertrich next June, or maybe somewhere to stop over on the way home from the Harz region. Your museum is a bit far from the proposed Harz base in Goslar.

Schloss_Augustusburg%2C_Southern_Facade%2C_November_2017_-02.jpg

I have just plotted a route that goes through Fuchshofen which appeals to my childish mentality

Back
Top Bottom