Mud sling

pitrat101

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Will a mudsling of an ESA bike fit a bike without ESA? 2012 model

It should, you'll just have a gap where the ESA is supposed to be...

Now, without ESA... does it make sense to have a mudsling? I always thought that the whole point of upgrading the original fender (which is not all that bad) was to better protect the ESA.

Cheers,
Rami

Are we suggesting non ESA shock are too cheap and to bother protecting? Of course not. :)

The bike creates a low pressure area ahead of the back wheel. Muck flies off the wheel then gets sucked forwards splattered then out all over rider's legs. Mud Sling is worth having for that alone. If the TUV shovel thingy is fitted even more crap get thrown forwards.

Check out a bike with a hugger fitted. You'll see crud all over the top of it so clearly its not stopping the mess. The mud sling works. A wrap around hugger like the Britten 1000 would work even better.

I have removed the shovel and fitted an Ilmberger carbon hugger instead.

It certainly looks better and does protect the shock, but probably not as much as a Mudsling would.

Having recently (due to advancing age) turned to wussism I don't ride much in bad weather any more.

If I did I would much prefer the extra protection of a Mudsling........ :)

Are we suggesting non ESA shock are too cheap and to bother protecting? Of course not. :)

The bike creates a low pressure area ahead of the back wheel. Muck flies off the wheel then gets sucked forwards splattered then out all over rider's legs. Mud Sling is worth having for that alone. If the TUV shovel thingy is fitted even more crap get thrown forwards.

Check out a bike with a hugger fitted. You'll see crud all over the top of it so clearly its not stopping the mess. The mud sling works. A wrap around hugger like the Britten 1000 would work even better.

I'm actually suggesting the opposite, that the ESA is the fragile part of the setup. Spring itself should be no bother as it's tough enough to take up a little bit of debris.

The original plastic was OK just figured that since I do take the GS out offroad I wanted something extra to protect the flimsy ESA electronics.

Cheers,
Rami

I'm actually suggesting the opposite, that the ESA is the fragile part of the setup. Spring itself should be no bother as it's tough enough to take up a little bit of debris.

The original plastic was OK just figured that since I do take the GS out offroad I wanted something extra to protect the flimsy ESA electronics.

Cheers,
Rami

I get your point, but considering the costs of replacing a shock, ESA or otherwise I would always fit a mudsling. Benham Wolverhampton had them fitted to all of their used bikes which says a lot TBH.

On the other hand, to support your point, the front shock is not exposed to grit but it does get all the weather and salt thrown at it. Mine has survived pretty well needing just a paint touch up when I had the frame painted. The piston rod and seals were still ok at 65,000 miles.

Back
Top Bottom