KTM 1290S luggage

Richparker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Just agreed a deal on a 2017 KTM 1290S. The dealer is offering me a discount on any parts I order now so I've ordered some bits. One thing I can't make my mind up about is the luggage. Has anyone had any experience with the KTM luggage ? It's supposed to be "floating" but not sure if that's just marketing crap :nenau I like the look of the Bumot cases and top box - has anyone used this set up as there aren't many reviews on the web? I wondered if it might make the bike unstable at higher speeds when loaded and two up?
Cheers
Rich

I have the big ally cases from KTM on my 1190 (Re-badged Givi Trekker Outback) and they have loads of room (as do most the metal offerings) but sit a long way out from the bike. Handy for us when we go touring as the Mrs will only have a top box on her bike so I have to carry most the stuff.

I have not noticed a stability problem, it once got a bit weavy at around 110 on the Autobahn, changing from Comfort to Streey damping solved it - or at least up to about 120 as I did not go any faster than that, not sure at what speed the luggage would get ripped off by the wind resistance and not keen to find out. The 1290 is far firmer to start with so would expect it to be as good or better.

The KTM plastic stuff looks OK to me, and if I only did solo trips would be more than I need, but the exhaust side box is pretty small if you are working on a 1 pannier each system with the Mrs. You could still get by - I managed on the GS with two-up trips and the Vario luggage (about the same size)

TBH even with the KTM Plastic luggage the bike ends up very wide so filtering is limited by both options, if you like the Bumot stuff then I would say go for it, if you like doing 150mph all day long I would suggest you sell me your new bike for £10k and go and buy a ZZR / GTR 1400.

As it happens I’ll shortly be removing the KTM Powerparts (Touratech) panniers from my 1190 and they fit the 1290 as well so I’ll be looking for a new owner.

I can’t comment on the new ones being floating or not but the original KTM bread bin panniers that were on my 1190 were pretty poor because of the cut out for the exhaust, they made the bike weave at speeds in excess of the recommended limit and on one occasion the guts of the latch fell apart preventing me from removing it though that was after a 4k mile trip of which a large chunk was on broken roads in Eastern Europe.

Price for mine? I can’t remember what I gave for them but I bought them from a guy on here who’d has them on one of the original 1290 Super Adventures and they’re still in very good condition so say half list price collected?

I have the OE luggage and it's average at best! If you can afford aftermarket or AndyB's second hand stuff I'd go for that ... :thumb2

(The exhaust pannier is next to useless .. )

Thanks for the replies everyone - by the sounds of it the bike should be fine with the fixed luggage. Thanks for the offer Andy but I like the look of the Bumot stuff as it has the tool box on the inside of the rack and the boxes will all have the same key. Adventure Bike Shop have got 10% off Bumot at the minute and 5% off gift vouchers so it makes it slightly easier to swallow.
Rasher, my days of doing 150 mph all day are long gone. The last bike I had for the two of us was a 950 Adventure and that tended to run out of steam at 100 mph when 2 up with luggage - I'm hoping the 1290 might have a bit more "go" :nod but I think the Mrs would kill me if I sat at 150 :wife

I actually like the current KTM plastic panniers, much better looking than the old bread bin stuff from the 1190, though i preferred loading from the top on the bread bin stuff rather than loading from the side of the current ones. They are wide and limit filtering a bit but no worse than the metal pannier options. I also really like the fact that when you take the standard panniers off, you're not left with a load of ugly pannier frames spoiling the looks. Thats another big plus point for me as I only use the panniers for 2 up trips, on my own I can get by with a roll bag on the back seat and a tank bag

The smaller right hand pannier doesn't bother me as thats enough room for my stuff on a trip. I prefer to travel light rather than carry loads of crap.

As for the floating panniers, I've found they really do work at high speed both one up and two up. No weaving up to 145 mph

The 1290 in my local dealer looked like mobile luggage with the full size cases. They must carry stacks of stuff but the looks would soon annoy me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 1290 in my local dealer looked like mobile luggage with the full size cases. They must carry stacks of stuff but the looks would soon annoy me.

Who buys an adventure bike to look at it? you need an MV - perfect to look at, and never needs cleaning as you daren't ride one in case it falls apart.

When riding a bike I cannot see my panniers and really do not give a toss if they offend the eyes of the people I ride past, when I stop riding I have everything I need stowed away.

Form tends to follow function with panniers and there is no point buying panniers that look good if they won't hold what you need.

For shorter trips I just use a 50L Oxford products dry bag, plenty for a trip of up to a week solo with the top box empty enough to stash my lid / gloves / sat-nav when I stop.

Thanks for the replies everyone - by the sounds of it the bike should be fine with the fixed luggage. Thanks for the offer Andy but I like the look of the Bumot stuff as it has the tool box on the inside of the rack and the boxes will all have the same key.

Get them !!

I had the Bumots on my Africa Twin and was so impressed I got some for my 1290R.
Different size and I sold the old ones with the AT

Bumot actually use a pic of my bike on their website ,cheeky buggers.
Great panniers.Stable up to 130 two up,which is enough for me !!
The R doesn’t have the floating system though ,and you would lose this if you fit the Bumots.

af5219b71aa77547ef5a8c4662be798d.jpg

59a524a839803b9820266d15d847169e.jpg

d5fdb54d156c8254c07d9a32b6bc9f52.jpg

492093bff20a92e514f6d9ee51e1aa9d.jpg

Arsey, they do look very nice, and a bit of effort to go around the exhaust. Like the toolbox thingy, how much are they in that configuration?

Had I seen these before I bought my stuff I would of probably gone for them.

Arsey, they do look very nice, and a bit of effort to go around the exhaust. Like the toolbox thingy, how much are they in that configuration?

I’ll go with that too.......mite not look so good with a few scrapes tho.....

Just ordered from Adventure Bike Shop. They've got 10% off Bumot at the minute but wouldn't give me the 5% you can get off by buying £100 vouchers for £95. :mad: The racks, 40 / 36 ltr panniers, tool box, top box rack/ 41 ltr top box and 3 inner bags was £1200 inc postage

Sounds like a good deal, a bit more than I paid for my kit as I did a deal on a bundle of extra's with the bike, but very competitive.

Back
Top Bottom