Advice request. Value of '68 T120 Bonneville Head.

Two wheels good

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello
I'd welcome some advice on the likely value of a complete cyl head I've had in the attic for yonks please.

Details: 1968 T120. 9 stud head , with rocker boxes, collets, valves, springs. Not restored.
Seems in good mechanical condition. Not just based on my inexpert opinion - a well-known engine building company in Sth Wales once offered to buy it from me when they were rebuilding my engine.
Threads, incl spark plug threads are good. Some play in valve guides. One exhaust stub is loose and threads probably need re-work.

Are the valves and springs of any value? Would they be replaced as a matter of course?
How much work\expense would be involved in repairing the exhaust stub?

Many thanks

Attachments

• SUC30178 sm.jpg
    SUC30178 sm.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 414
  • SUC30182 sm.jpg
    SUC30182 sm.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 399
My guess would be that if you get it refurbished properly then bung it on eBay and are willing to accept overseas bids you’ll get more than it’s worth now plus the cost of the work done on it. It’s a gamble but it’s one I’d take.

Phone Seager Engineering for an estimate, they do a very good job and they’re not expensive. The colonials will love a reconditioned head if you go down that route :D

http://sespares.co.uk

Thanks, that's useful. Knowing the cost of any refurb work would be helpful. Though ideally I'd like to avoid the time and expense.
Interesting you mention the colonials; there are so many heads listed online over there. Many just the basic head, and some looking quite shabby, for more than £250.

And the answer is ...

... €300. And an offer of €150 for the rocker boxes alone.
Ye Olde Bike Mart may have generated more interest - and revenue - but I'm content.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom