SC Card Issue

yofi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been using the sd card to playing music files. Recently swapped it out to replace the music but it now complains of no files being copied onto the sd card. Tried 3 different cards, reformatted. Updated to 4.9.

Anybody come across this issue?

Inserted correctly ? On the nav 6, I just stream music from my iPhone.

Have you copied your new music files across as MP3. I tried copying from my ITunes and didn't work so had to convert to MP3. All OK.

Have you copied your new music files across as MP3. I tried copying from my ITunes and didn't work so had to convert to MP3. All OK.

Timely post as I had another attempt today and found that the nav this time recognised the first track but none after that. After checking turns out that the next file was a M4A file. In fact a number of tracks that I'm sure were originally MP3 are now M4A. I'll investigate why its happening though, to mention, I've never had a trouble in the past simply copying from iTunes. I often do an export from Amazon Web Player to iTunes, so I'll look at that.

But the short of it is that, yes, it was a file format issue after all.

Not fixed after all - only recognised a couple of mp3 files. Tried every possible way of checking for a format issue - looks like a unit issue. Case opened with garmin (with no supplied timeframe for resolution....)

Just in case

Largest size microSD card a BMW Navigator V and VI will accept

The largest capacity microSD card for use in the BMW Navigator V and VI is a 64 GB card. The microSD must be formatted to FAT32 and the software on the BMW Navigator V must be up-to-date for the card to be recognized.

It is standard practice for microSD card manufacturers to format 64 GB microSD cards to exFAT. A separate memory card reader must be used to format the card to FAT32.

And found this this might work.

First, format the SD card as Fat32 only. Nothing else will work. Create a directory on it like MP3 and put the song files in there. A program like guiformat.exe will work great to format this for you if you have issues.

Second, create a directory in the main memory called MP3. Copy one MP3 file into this directory. You need at least one MP3 in the main memory to make the SD card accessible to the music app.

You should now be able to see and play all the MP3s on the SD card.

Just in case

Largest size microSD card a BMW Navigator V and VI will accept

The largest capacity microSD card for use in the BMW Navigator V and VI is a 64 GB card. The microSD must be formatted to FAT32 and the software on the BMW Navigator V must be up-to-date for the card to be recognized.

It is standard practice for microSD card manufacturers to format 64 GB microSD cards to exFAT. A separate memory card reader must be used to format the card to FAT32.

And found this this might work.

First, format the SD card as Fat32 only. Nothing else will work. Create a directory on it like MP3 and put the song files in there. A program like guiformat.exe will work great to format this for you if you have issues.

Second, create a directory in the main memory called MP3. Copy one MP3 file into this directory. You need at least one MP3 in the main memory to make the SD card accessible to the music app.

You should now be able to see and play all the MP3s on the SD card.

Smogbob

Appreciate the reply, but I've tried every which way to get this working again, after having no problems for the first 5 months.

Tried with 3 class 10 cards, 16, 32 and 64gb (the 16 and 64 cards worked fine previously). Used 3 types of formatting software for FAT32, on quick, erase and overwrite options. Cards work on playback by other means e.g. on laptop and in car. Tried creating an mp3 folder etc.

My concern now is having to deal with Garmin support. After 2 weeks and 3 support calls I'm now in the hands of Garmin US with no timeframe for a resolution.

I had exactly the same problem. Copied an MP3 into the main Garmin memory, didn't work, the media player App couldn't see them. I copied several, didn't work. Then I tried taking the SD card out and playing the songs on the Garmin memory - did work. Then I put the SD card back in again, and hey presto, all 5412 songs present and correct.

Go figure

Update on this. Having again swapped out a working card for one that appeared not to work, I put the old back in and found it now also not to work. After several attempts, it was recognised again. Garmin concluded a hardware fault with the card slot - I'm sure the cards seemed to go further in than they used to (and no, I hadn't used force). Offered to sent out a new nav 6 and collect the old one, or take to the dealers for a replacement. Took it in Saturday, got a nice new one in return.

Update on this. Having again swapped out a working card for one that appeared not to work, I put the old back in and found it now also not to work. After several attempts, it was recognised again. Garmin concluded a hardware fault with the card slot - I'm sure the cards seemed to go further in than they used to (and no, I hadn't used force). Offered to sent out a new nav 6 and collect the old one, or take to the dealers for a replacement. Took it in Saturday, got a nice new one in return.

Nice one glad it was sorted, nice people Garmin are............

I'll resurrect this thread.

Just aquired a Nav VI, inserted the SD from my Nav V and low & behold "No songs were found. To play songs copy music into the MP3 folder"
My files were in "Music" folder and worked on the Nav V so I moved that folder into an "MP3" folder , still the bloody same.
Also SD card isn't showing if I plug the Nav VI into my PC, it's a brand new SD card, reformatted. FFS

Reformatted and synced via Media Monkey it created a “Music” file (not MP3) and put the tracks in there.
I always create a playlist and add that via MM,
This is how I’ve done it previously but I was trying to add the files from a back up of the SD card and it didn’t work.
It only worked when I deleted everything relating to music on the SD and started afresh with the syncing.
As always, back to first principles.
MM didn’t help by deleting all my playlists when I updated this morning. Luckily I have a new works PC that I’d updated so I did it all via my old PC.

It threw me because I ended up with empty playlists on my Nav, remnants from previous attempts, I deleted those snd it left the more recent one populated by the sync.

Back
Top Bottom