New Basecamp install & maps

vRSG60

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've installed Basecamp on a new PC (at work). Now if I plot a new route it's just a straight line but if I look at older routes I've plotted they show up OK. Any ideas as to why?

I'm guessing it's because I only have the Global Map option, my Nav V is at home so can't install the maps off that.

Is there a way to install maps without a device connected?

You could try using Garmin Express and logging into your Garmin account, but I think it is unlikely to work. Garmin's software seems to require the satnav to be connected, and uses the device to authorise the download of maps. With the device connected you have an option of installing the maps to the device only, or the PC or both.

There is another way - use JaVaWa GMTK to make a backup to memory stick of the maps on your home computer. Then use the same program to 'restore' the maps onto your work PC. JaVaWa puts the maps in the right locations, and copies the unlock files which are otherwise difficult to find.

look at the route settings and ensure it is not set to direct. it will be where the arrow is pointing.
If no maps are installed you could copy the whole folder from your old pc to new one depending on os it should be located at C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps copy your map folder complete and put it into the same place on the new machine, you can then copy your unlock code from the old machine to the new one, or provided they are legit maps unlock it online.

Attachments

• 12-18-2017 1-47-25 PM.jpg
    12-18-2017 1-47-25 PM.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 213
Thanks for the replies. I've got "Driving" set as route activity profile. The old PC is at my old place of work so I can't copy the maps over.
I thought I'd copied them onto a hard drive but it seems all I've done is a backup. Although the maps should be on my Laptop at home.

Or I'll connect the Nav V at some point and get the maps off there.

Copy the .img file(s) from your GPS onto a USB stick.
Insert into PC and then select "Device" from the menu and then click "Receive from Device"
If you have the correct directory structure, Basecamp will find them.
(pit the .img file in the x:\Garmin directory.

If you pull the USB, you will have to do it again....

I upgraded my maps from 2018.1 to 2018.3 on my 590 & work laptop all installed fine \0/

Got home tried installing 2018.3 map only to my home PC with Garmin Express and got an error on install tried about half a dozen times same issue.
The fix was to uninstall maps, Basecamp & Garmin Express re boot PC then down load latest versions of both Basecamp & Garmin Express then install 2018.3 maps, don't you just love Garmin so user friendly. :D

There is another way - use JaVaWa GMTK to make a backup to memory stick of the maps on your home computer. Then use the same program to 'restore' the maps onto your work PC. JaVaWa puts the maps in the right locations, and copies the unlock files which are otherwise difficult to find.

Thanks, this worked and recalculating the route sorted it out.

Back
Top Bottom