Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

Flywheel puller, quite an expensive tool but it makes removing the flywheel a doddle, I was expecting a battle but it pulled off easy :thumb2

Attachments

• 03 Flywheel puller.JPG
    03 Flywheel puller.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 445
The old generator beneath the flywheel. It has two heavy rubber cables for two circuits; one feeds the electronic ignition directly the other is for 6v charging.
You can see them making their way out of the engine via the gland top right. The cables and generator seem in good condition except for the cable ends which have rotted off

Attachments

• 04 Old generator.JPG
    04 Old generator.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 433
New generator fitted with the screws stuck in with Loctite 243 my new friend. It’s heat and oil resistant. I like this new generator, it looks the business

Attachments

• 05 new generator.JPG
    05 new generator.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 420
The old gland needed mods as it now has only one cable, I didn't want oil and gasses blowing out and making a mess so I made up a bung to fill the other hole. You can see the bung above the gland hole, it just presses in

Attachments

• 06 new single cable.jpg
    06 new single cable.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 413
So a new flywheel was fitted to match the generator and the clutch cleaned up and reassembled. New screws were used on the cases to brighten it up.

Attachments

• 07 back together again.JPG
    07 back together again.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 418
Very nice project, great to see the progress. Hope the generator cable gland does not become a water trap, might be worth a bit of goo in to fill the recess.

Very nice project, great to see the progress. Hope the generator cable gland does not become a water trap, might be worth a bit of goo in to fill the recess.

Fear not, it looks like this now with a nice gaiter to tidy it up. Even that’s not fully waterproof but I have no intention of riding this in the rain!

Btw, it's on around the brass nut very tightly, I had to make a wire hook to worry it on, warming it up didn't help because it went cold again almost straight away

Attachments

• gaiter.jpg
    gaiter.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 324
Chain fitted, it's a Regina 428-122 links. I just bought the longest chain available from Lacey Ducati with the plan to shorten it as required. Turns out 122 links is perfect and no need to do anything but adjust it :thumb2

Attachments

• 01 Right Side.jpg
    01 Right Side.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 503
  • 02 Rear sprocket.jpg
    02 Rear sprocket.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 534
Working on the clutch operation today, I needed a ferrule making in brass to hold the cable nipple into the lever

I turned a brass rod to fit the hole in the lever then blued it up and scribed it for drilling

Attachments

• 001 Clutch ferrule being marked up.jpg
    001 Clutch ferrule being marked up.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 420
Drilled through at 4.5mm for the cable and 7mm for the head of the nipple to seat down into it

Attachments

• 002 drilled.jpg
    002 drilled.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 421
The ferrule fitted on the cable ok after the nipple was dressed down a little with a fine file

There's no room in the lever to make the ferrule any higher than shown here

Attachments

• 003 on cable.jpg
    003 on cable.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 428
With a little more fettling to the cable adjuster it all went together. Adjusted up, it felt rough when pulled so I took it apart again and ran some light oil through the cable. It’s a little better, but in all honesty a new lined cable would transform it so I’ll probably get one later

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5xqAuuqSkPU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Videos through the rebuild....Great stuff.

Can't wait to see the one where you go choke on/fuel on/ignition on and.....KICK !!!!......:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom