Ducati 250 Desmo Rebuild

Mine still has its original Pirelli’s, rock hard! I’m wondering how to get them off without damaging the rims, cut them off?

Take them to Transits and get Andy to pop em off with the machine.

It's definitely an age thing; I grew up opposite the workshop door of Bill Selby Motorcycles in Doncaster. The mechanics would de-crate the bikes, build them up, then rag them up the street. The singles were only surpassed by the Montjuic in the favourite stakes.

Montjuic? I might fire mine up over the holiday just to spread a bit of Xmas cheer for a 5 mile radius. Obviously it won’t need to leave the drive to do that :D

Well, I've spent much of the afternoon and evening going through the bits and cleaning up various parts. The front hydraulic brake parts had been take off all in one piece so I decided to start splitting parts up. Thank goodness for bench vices and blowlamps. It took two cycles of blowlamp and cold water to get the master cylinder lid to move with a large pair of Stillsons. Inside it was bone dry. The master cylinder piston is locked solid, I'll give it the heat treatment another day and see if I can get it moving.

Attachments

• Master Cylinder.jpg
    Master Cylinder.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 778
Wow, my dream. I has a very quick 350 Mk 3 back in '76/77 but sold it to buy a 45O Desmo that was crap - the sole that to buy a 750 Laverda ... But the 350 was the dog's and I'd give a lot to have either the Mk 3 or a Desmo again ...

BTW just 60 and still rockin'

@ Andy - nice to see you in another mad house :)
@ Mickeyboy - how's that pink Funduro of yours?

Regs

Simon

Hi simon,the funduro was bought by a member of this parish!
To finance a ktm 640adv for this last years trip.
I might move the 640 in the new year to enable a new build for 2019 trip
Next years trips involve my wife on pillion so I don’t need a big dirt bike
Mike

I was bored so spent the evening getting the piston out of the master cylinder. Lots of heat, 3in1 and a drill up the end to tap/knock the piston back. Eventually it came free. You can still get a service kit for theses (Brembo PS15) so for now I've polished up the inside of the bore to get rid of the marks and it's looking pretty good. If it doesn't work I'll have to try plan B.

Disgusting, the black goop on the spring is a melted plastic fitting, it did get a bit hot :augie

Attachments

• Master cylinder piston and spring.jpg
    Master cylinder piston and spring.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 665
I know and I sometimes hate myself.

Psst, have you forgotten I’ve also got an H2 of the proper stinkwheel variety rather than the modern sewing machine bearing the same name? :D

No, I had't forgotten, along with a veritable stable of goodies ... but I live here in sunny Spain and if it weren't fr the fact that we've already done the shopping we could have had a BBQ for Christmas dinner tomorrow! :beerjug:

I was bored so spent the evening getting the piston out of the master cylinder. Lots of heat, 3in1 and a drill up the end to tap/knock the piston back. Eventually it came free. You can still get a service kit for theses (Brembo PS15) so for now I've polished up the inside of the bore to get rid of the marks and it's looking pretty good. If it doesn't work I'll have to try plan B.

A timely reminder that I haven't the knowledge, experience or skills - nor a workshop for that matter - to do this kind of a job. Timely because there's room in my garage for another bike and I was thinking of an old Sanglas, Ducati single being like gold dust here as in the UK!

Hi simon,the funduro was bought by a member of this parish!
To finance a ktm 640adv for this last years trip.
I might move the 640 in the new year to enable a new build for 2019 trip
Next years trips involve my wife on pillion so I don’t need a big dirt bike
Mike

I seem to recall your selling it Mick. Re your trip with your good lady, have you thought about the Aragon HISS in September? It has lots of very, very easy trails stab for riding 2-up as well as amazing roads and lots of interesting places to visit. The trails alone (1,400 kms and growing) cover an area about four times that of the Catalonia/Pyrenees HISS that you came to!

Meanwhile Happy Christmas to you all - I,m feeling sick already ... :beer:

Regs

Simon

I saw that ad in Squires but the missus ushered me out the door before I could take the number, looking forward to seeing you enjoy its progress, is there a number plate with it?

Looking forward to your rebuild, first big road bike I rode,my brothers but he was away at farming college and non the wiser. Electrics were a pain in the wet but what a gorgeous bike. Will see if he has any parts or manuals in his man drawer.:thumb2

Looking forward to your rebuild, first big road bike I rode,my brothers but he was away at farming college and non the wiser. Electrics were a pain in the wet but what a gorgeous bike. Will see if he has any parts or manuals in his man drawer.:thumb2
Oooh, thanks :thumb2

I saw that ad in Squires but the missus ushered me out the door before I could take the number, looking forward to seeing you enjoy its progress, is there a number plate with it?
We look at the notice board nearly every week, not much grabs my interest. I got number plates but no log book, they are long gone.

Tastefull, very tastefull

Tasteful indeed if not exactly efficacious! Time to up the octane with some genuine 'seventies rocket fuel! :clap

Yes, it'm bored already and it's not even ten o`clock on Christmas morning ... seasonal greetings! :beerjug:

Simon

Spent an hour or so disassembling bits in the garage today. Mostly successful but I wasn't too surprised when the bleed nipple sheared off the brake caliper :rolleyes: I'd used lots of heat but not enough it seems :blast

I'm pretty sure I've got these out before on my old airhead that had the same calipers, anyway, Bahco extractor set ordered and we'll try again.
With lots more heat!

Attachments

• Brembo.jpg
    Brembo.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 696
Spent an hour or so disassembling bits in the garage today. Mostly successful but I wasn't too surprised when the bleed nipple sheared off the brake caliper :rolleyes: I'd used lots of heat but not enough it seems :blast

That's exactly what I did to my Laverda! But I didn't know about the heat think back in '78 so broke the extractor off inside the nipple thing ...

Luckily enough it had another brake and the existing one worked fine - I was just bleeding the braced to see how it was done! - so ket it until I sold the bike - and that cost me ...

Note to self, if buying a rebuild keep to something simple - MZ 250 stroker perhaps? :)

Meanwhile please keep posting and maybe this would help - I remember I found an alternative manual to the Haynes, which people said wasn't much good. And BTW - Happy Christmas, Santa's here in town! :)

Regs

Simon

That's exactly what I did to my Laverda! But I didn't know about the heat think back in '78 so broke the extractor off inside the nipple thing ...

Luckily enough it had another brake and the existing one worked fine - I was just bleeding the braced to see how it was done! - so ket it until I sold the bike - and that cost me ...

Note to self, if buying a rebuild keep to something simple - MZ 250 stroker perhaps? :)

Meanwhile please keep posting and maybe this would help - I remember I found an alternative manual to the Haynes, which people said wasn't much good. And BTW - Happy Christmas, Santa's here in town! :)

Regs

Simon
i’m going to cycle quite some heat on that brake caliper before I try the extractor (I’ll give it a good bashing too lol). If it all goes bad spark erosion maybe an option after than that It’s get a replacement.

Thanks everyone for the links

Back
Top Bottom