Numpty question - connecting Oxford heated grips to battery (Ducati 899)

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just pulled off the fairings to connect some Oxford heated grips up to my bike and I have a slight issue, and just want to check for ideas.

There is already a biketrac, optimate and Garmin plugged in using simple circular spade type connectors as below, and there is a small screw which is bolt shaped that goes into the terminal with a fairly shallow thread on it.

There simply isnt enough length in the screw/bolt holding the connectors to add another connector. The options I can think of are

• get a longer screw/bolt - (only need a mm or two on the length)
  • add a plastic block type connector, remove 2 or three of the connectors and put them straight to the block, then connect the block to the battery

Any recommendations ?

31Ay-oJKqWL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

RBW

If you were happy with the way things were connected to the battery beforehand then a slightly longer screw will be fine....after all, it's only a Ducati so you're hardly thinking long term:beerjug:

How very dare you :D , its 3.5 years and 24K in and going strong....

And thanks. :beerjug:

RBW.

If you were happy with the way things were connected to the battery beforehand then a slightly longer screw will be fine....after all, it's only a Ducati so you're hardly thinking long term:beerjug:

Someone will be along suggesting using an auxiliary unit like a Fuseblock which is fine and perhaps slightly neater but it's something else to buy and find space to fit.

If you wire the heated grips directly to the battery, a very bad idea, don't forget to turn them off when you switch the bike off or you will shortly have a flat battery.

If you wire the heated grips directly to the battery, a very bad idea, don't forget to turn them off when you switch the bike off or you will shortly have a flat battery.

Oxford grips will turn themselves off. :beerjug:

Right, thats sorted, thanks Timolgra.

Edward, the design of the heated grips is that they are directly connected to the battery but the control unit switches them off when it senses no movement.

I had some slightly longer screws (slightly too long) but have added small bolts to them which both reduces the available length and also increases the diameter of the head, which holds the connections nicely. I even remembered a bit of copaslip.

I'll have a look at the Fuseblock, as wouldnt mind a slightly more 'professional' solution, and there is a (tiny) amount of room at the side of the battery that the designers clearly forgot about.

RBW.

*Edited .... >> Any recommendations for SMALL motorcycle fuse blocks ?

Thanks for the link Wapping, I was just looking on Amazon.

Bugger... thought I had sorted the complex bit, how hard can it be to remove the bar ends and cut the old grips off ?

:blast

Bless Ducati, they have in their wisdom decided to shun a traditional hex bolt for attaching the bar end weights, and instead need a huge torx 12 pointed/ridged tool which I obviously dont have (bit like a security bolt but really big) !

Aarrgghhh !

Off to see if I can find the tool on ebay.

RBW.

*Update* looks like I need something like this... https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-314XZN...quare m14&tag=vs-powersports-insert-amazon-20

*Another update* ordered these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-S...214153&hash=item3cf534d33a:g:ROkAAOSwJq1ZZebL Probably not fantastic quality but 1/2 drive and should do the job (apparently the bar ends require a fair bit of leverage to get them off).

Follow on question, as power all sorted for the Grips but I'd like to 'improve' the mess of wiring I now have with Garmin, Tracker, Heated Grips, optimate and I'm sure something else I have forgotten. The bike isn't going anywhere for the next few weeks (as the scooter takes care of winter duties), so have some time to fiddle.

I'd like to install a fuse block, would like it to be reasonably waterproof and allow both switched and permanent live. I think it will get installed under the pillion seat, but will check if thats the best place for it. Does anyone have any experience of the Denali Powerhub ? Alternatively are there any other recommendations ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denali-Powerhub-2-Motorcycle-Fuse-Block-with-Wiring-Harness-/351373306490

thx

RBW.

Follow on question, as power all sorted for the Grips but I'd like to 'improve' the mess of wiring I now have with Garmin, Tracker, Heated Grips, optimate and I'm sure something else I have forgotten. The bike isn't going anywhere for the next few weeks (as the scooter takes care of winter duties), so have some time to fiddle.

I'd like to install a fuse block, would like it to be reasonably waterproof and allow both switched and permanent live. I think it will get installed under the pillion seat, but will check if thats the best place for it. Does anyone have any experience of the Denali Powerhub ? Alternatively are there any other recommendations ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denali-Powerhub-2-Motorcycle-Fuse-Block-with-Wiring-Harness-/351373306490

thx

RBW.

Have one of these. Spent 5 years on the GS and never missed a beat. Cheap as chips, does exactly what you need. http://www.auto-electrical-supplies...MI0rqe8bmZ2AIVb7XtCh3-dgXdEAQYAyABEgLVV_D_BwE

Would recommend a fusebox (power centre 8) from eastern beaver as it has both switched and un switched supplies.

Back
Top Bottom