Garmin Virb 360 Camera - Set up and configuration

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I'm on to my next project. 360 degree camera footage.

When I set up my Garmin Virb XE camera's on my BMW R1200GS Adventure, I wanted video footage from a Front facing camera and a Rear facing camera mounted to the bike itself. The setup needed to be waterproof, dustproof, On-Power all the time and ready to go anywhere, anytime and recording capacity to last all day with no fuss. So that was accomplished, read the full story here:-

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/451559-Navigator-VI-and-Garmin-Virb-XE-Camera

I've always wished I had side camera's though, I've missed some weird footage in the past when things happen alongside the bike, like mates falling off their steed, fights on the pavement, car drivers approaching on their phones etc. Always a blind spot with fixed cameras.

Also, when off-road the terrain is very bumpy, so fixed camera's on the bike frame is just too bumpy.

Garmin Virb 360 degree Camera

360 degree cameras are very clever for TWO reasons.

1) They video everything around them. Front, Back, Sides, You, the Bike, everything...

2) The footage is dynamic when viewed on a touch screen device. So as the viewer you can scroll around the 360 degree video footage at your leisure. It's like you are there... right in the action. It can also be viewed using a Virtual Reality headset.

So I've bought this new setup, to be used on my Africa Twin when off road, and transferred over to my BMW R1200GS Adventure.

My plan is to mount it on top of a dedicated helmet. The Nexx XD1 in Matte Black. Remotely turn it on and off, and use a 128GB memory card for footage. It'll be connected via cable to a 20,000 mAh external battery holstered in my back pack. So should give hours of footage and power.

- Nexx XD1 Dual Sport Helmet (with specific helmet camera mounting points, pinlock, sun visor etc)
http://nexx-helmets.com/en/catalog/showproduct/plain-01xds00001

- Garmin Virb 360 Camera (Waterproof, Dustproof, 1250 mAh internal battery last about 1 hour)
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/562010

- Garmin Virb 360 Powered Tripod Mount (this provides cabled power from a USB source)
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/562253

- Garmin Virb 360 Remote Control Button (this provides remote control to recording On/Off to minimise editing back home)
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/146077

- 20,000 mAh Rugged Outdoor Power Bank with IP67 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof (to power the Virb 360 device)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B73I5ZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:thumb

Here's a couple of examples of a Virb 360 on a motorcycle.

If you don't have a touchscreen device, use the mouse on your PC to 'grab' the screen and move it around.

Bike Mounted

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5mg-xwG0d_Y" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Helmet Mounted

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tv2JkvDltNw" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

interesting read... look forward to the next chapter

interesting read... look forward to the next chapter

Yeah indeed :)

There are some HUGE concerns that I have though, and I'm still learning so don't know all the details yet...

But primarily the cost of running this 4K 360 degree setup.

The Garmin Virb 360 camera can shoot video footage in different formats. Mainly 3K at 60 FPS unstitched, 4K at 30 FPS stitched, 5K at 30 FPS unstitched.

As there are two camera's, where the video footage from each camera meets up its called 'Stitching' to create the 360 all around view.

This stitch processing can be done on the camera (at 4K and 30 Frames Per Second)... OR

This stitch processing can be done on your laptop at home (which opens up higher resolution options 3K at 60fps, and 5K at 30 fps etc) as it demands more computer processing.

NOW, this is where it can get EXPENSIVE.

Stitching 3K, 4K or 5K footage at home on your laptop is going to be huge processing power. So new video editing hardware may be required and it may cost up to £1k to £1.5k just for the hardware specifications...

Minimum and Recommended Specifications: 4K (2D or 360)

Operating System
Recommended: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Processor
Recommended: 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 or AMD FX

Memory
Recommended: 16 GB RAM

Graphics Card
Recommended: Intel HD 530 / nVidia GeForce GTX 960 / AMD Radeon R9 380

Graphics Memory
Recommended: 4 GB

Screen resolution
Recommended: 4K monitor

Hard drive: 20 GB Free Storage

In the second (helmet mounted) clip, the footage has the speed and revs shown at the bottom of the screen. Is that switchable post-production, or is it like the datestamp on a picture - there unless you PhotoShop it out?

Also, what is the still-capture like with one of these? If you can get a 1080 or 4K quality still from it, then it would pretty much render any bike mounted camera redundant. The only issue I can see is about looking like a Tellytubby with the camer atop your helmet, but plenty of people do this witha standard GoPro already...

So I'm going to experiment first with 4K footage at 30 Frames Per Second - Stitched on the camera itself.

This means if I use the Remote Control Button to turn on and off the recording to 'split up' file sizes on the camera itself, I could then choose the file portion of the video I want to push up onto YouTube.

Example being...

Leave Home and Set Camera on Record = 1 File Recording

Get to off road destination. Turn Off Recording and Restart Recording - 2nd File Recording

Finish off road session to go home. Turn off Recording and Restart Recording - 3rd File Recording

So effectively, when I get home I'll have everything already stitched on the camera, but just upload File '2' for the Off Road adventure and stick it straight up onto YouTube (or file it away for personal viewing later).

That'll hopefully save the need to edit vast amounts of data on my ageing laptop? :nenau

In the second (helmet mounted) clip, the footage has the speed and revs shown at the bottom of the screen. Is that switchable post-production, or is it like the datestamp on a picture - there unless you PhotoShop it out?

All the data telemetry is always available, but you can choose not to show any of it on the final video footage. So yes it's switchable during final production. I wont be showing any data on my footage, just the view.

Also, what is the still-capture like with one of these? If you can get a 1080 or 4K quality still from it, then it would pretty much render any bike mounted camera redundant. The only issue I can see is about looking like a Tellytubby with the camer atop your helmet, but plenty of people do this witha standard GoPro already...

The form factor is always going to look weird, with it attached to the top of your helmet. That's the way it is unfortunately. But my plan is to have multiple mounting points fixed around the bike, so you can move the camera around during the day.

However, the new Virb 360 is quite small and almost round looking. The Nexx XD1 helmet has a specific mounting point, so it may look less weird than the old GoPro units.

Don't know, we shall have to see later today when it arrives.

:eek:... yikes. Well, i'm glad i'm reading about it and not doing it. Surely and IMHO, 60fps on 1080p could be the best option :nenau, especially for YT / home review which would then possibly make stitching together less expensive :nenau. I use Wondershare software for my random vlogs... has served me OK for the last couple of years.

Good luck. :beerjug:

:eek:... yikes. Well, i'm glad i'm reading about it and not doing it. Surely and IMHO, 60fps on 1080p could be the best option :nenau, especially for YT / home review which would then possibly make stitching together less expensive :nenau. I use Wondershare software for my random vlogs... has served me OK for the last couple of years.

Good luck. :beerjug:

I agree, 1080p is good enough for most people.

But 360 degree video is being used in a Virtual Reality environment where pixelation is an issue, eyes being so close to the screen. So the higher the resolution the better the experience.

I guess that's where they are thinking...

Holy crap! I just googled it - £650?

61XAXwGrRhL._SL1000_.jpg

7x6x4cm is stil quite a large box on top of your head and 440g is more than 25% of the weight of my helmet, so you're going to have to position it just right, I'd think...

Holy crap! I just googled it - £650?

7x6x4cm is stil quite a large box on top of your head and 440g is more than 25% of the weight of my helmet, so you're going to have to position it just right, I'd think...

Yep, be happy I'm paying for this experiment :D

Ordered a silicone cover for it as well, before the helmet is left laying around with it still attached.

Attachments

• Silicone Case.jpg
    Silicone Case.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 945

Ok, so it's arrived and let's now deal with the facts.... :D

It's 160.5g and that includes the memory card fitted and internal battery fitted, not 440g. So you must have been looking at the total box weight with all cables, booklets, tripod and brackets included.

The actual weight of this device on top of your head will be 160.5g plus the weight of the adhesive pad mount with cable attached.

The unit feels light in the hand, and I wouldn't have concerns with it being on top of the helmet

Attachments

• Pic8.jpg
    Pic8.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 885
  • Pic9.jpg
    Pic9.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 966
  • Pic10.jpg
    Pic10.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 886
I placed it on top of the Nexx XD1 helmet, just so you can get a feel of what it might look like.

It will be different once the adhesive mounts arrive with the Powered Cable, as I need to route this cable on the outside some how tidily.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 936
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 952
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 940
Some more pics.....

Attachments

• Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 960
  • Pic6.jpg
    Pic6.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 910
  • Pic7.jpg
    Pic7.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 959
It's about the size of the palm of your hand?

Dunno, what do you think? :nenau

Glad to hear about the weight (I was going by the dimensions in the Amazon listing). It looks as good as sticking something on top of your helmet can, I suppose. Will you have a cable feeding to it, or is it able to perform for the length of time you need on internal power?

Will you have a cable feeding to it, or is it able to perform for the length of time you need on internal power?

The internal battery is 1250 mAh which supposedly lasts around 1 hour at 4K filming. Some people that will be enough, maybe with a couple of replacement batteries?

But I know that I never remember to charge multiple batteries, one is enough, so I've bought the Garmin Tripod Power Mount which has a waterproof cradle that the Virb 360 unit sits in, and then a 2 meter USB power cable to feed off.

I'm then going to plug that USB cable into a 20,000 mAh waterproof, shock proof battery supply which should last at least 5-6 hours if not more. The cable is split about 12 inches from the cradle with a waterproof screw fixing. So in theory, I can put the helmet on, and then screw in the cable connector which then leads into my back pack.

I know the Nexx XD1 helmet has space for a battery pack inside the helmet, but I'm not convinced that's an idea I like?

So I'll see how it goes first.

Will you have a cable feeding to it, or is it able to perform for the length of time you need on internal power?

Interestingly, on this subject.

The Garmin Virb 360 is waterproof to 10 meters and suitable for high speed watersports.

However, the Power Cable is only waterproof to IPX7 which is 1 meter, and not suitable for high speed watersports.

EDIT : Just called Garmin Support and they assured me IPX7 would be fine for motorcycles in the rain, and also it's still covered under Garmin Warranty. So no worries there either. Good to know you can use this setup in all weathers and just get on with it.

He explained 'high speed watersports' being like stood against a jet pressure washer... lol

Back
Top Bottom