What to buy?!? HELP!

Bickers2208

Reaction score
I have a £5k budget... I’ve had an R80, a R1150 and ridden and loved my old mans R1200

I am looking to buy and can’t decide whether to get an air cooled bike and make every trip a challenging and rewarding one or get a R1200 and know every adventure will happen faultlessly and smoothly.
Somewhere in between lies the 1150.
Looking for the occasional commute, and twice annual venture to Europe.
What would you do?

Buy quickly whilst bikes are great value and get the R1200

Or consider a 800ST. I bought a 7k mile 2011 with all the luggage in fantastic condition for £3,500. Fantastic bike, quick, comfortable, lots of toys, economical and low maintenance.

It’s a GS I’m after really. They all have their pitfalls and advantages just wanted an idea of everyone else’s opinion

5K gets you a very early 1200gs 2004 -maybe 2005 The same 5k gets you a 2011 Guzzi Stelvio. Better built nicer engine nicer riding position.

I’d go for the best 1200gs that I could get for the money. Should be well sorted by now. Either non Abs or you might just bag a later non servo abs one. JJH

shirlaws suzuki in aberdeen have a nice 09 gs with premium and dynamic packs plus vario panniers and hid lights with 36k on the clock for 5.5k. they would probably deliver it as well. it was my bike which i traded in for a 650 vstrom as i was needing something lighter.

The bike that is likely to depreciate the most is the 1200 as “icon” status is a long way off compared to a tidy GSA 1150. The bike that will depreciate the least is the R80 with the 1150 in between.

The problem with the R80 is that prices for tidy ones have escalated allot over the last couple of years....and are likely to remain firm..... up over priced against their capability.

In terms of comfort and capability, if you can get into a tidy 08 onwards GS then for pure riding enjoyment on a long tour then this is the way I would go out of the three...BUT budget for a reconditioned rear shock and reconditioned final drive...and live with a fuel gauge that WILL give up.

If you are not looking to carry a pillion then as others have suggested... the world opens up...I would look at the 800GS or indeed the Guzzi as well....you might even be able to squeeze into a 2010 Super Tenere for that money...don’t worry about the mileage here....they are bullet proof.

BMW F800GS all day long, reliability, economical and most of all Fun :thumb

You are joking with this one. What a load of rubbish. Deep pockets needed to keep one of these on the road. I can list loads of bits that went wrong with mine. In the end I could not stand it fucking up my holidays it had to go.

Derek

Surely you and everyone else here has missed the best GS - the 1100, a true icon :thumb

£2.5K gets you a good one - spend the rest on your holidays :clap

Dorsal fin has an 1150gsa for sale, if I were you I would be heading to Suffolk today on a train with £4750 in my pocket, see his post in the for sale section

Back
Top Bottom