Which replacement tyre for my ST?

keith55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Its replacement time for my current set of Battlax 023 tyres......any experiences/recommendations for my 2015 ST please?

My riding is 95% road and choices seem to be;

Bridgestone Battlax 40's
Dunlop Roadsmart 2's
Michelin pilot road 4's

An outside consideration is Heidenhau K60 scouts

many thanks

Keith

I only run road tyres, and have had both Roadsmart 3 & PR 4's....both were excellent in the wet & dry, gave good feedback and wear rate was pretty good.

I'm due new rubber in March, so will be fitting Road Attack 3's as a few mates have them and rate them very highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My XTZ1200 worked well with the Avon Trail Riders, I also have them on the R100gs.

Had Roadsmart 1's and 2's on mine and found them very good. They work well wet or dry / hot or cold. Better than OE Tourance EXP's (grip and wear) that came with my bike.

Recently replaced Trail Attacks that came on my KTM 1190 (Great in dry / terrifying in wet - so much so I vouched never to buy another Continental tyre ever again) went to Roadsmart 3's and they seem really good, wearing very well - hard to compare though as I did a lot of two-up on the Yamaha and none on the KTM.

Got a part worn set of Roadsmart 1's from the S10 fitted to my V-Strom 650 hack, and the Mrs has Roadsmart 2's on her TDM900.....

... I have not tried any other modern rubber, got another KTM on the way but not sure what it will arrive with - hoping not the same Trail Attacks as on my 1190 as they would have to be ditched right away.

Had Roadsmart 1's and 2's on mine and found them very good. They work well wet or dry / hot or cold. Better than OE Tourance EXP's (grip and wear) that came with my bike.

Recently replaced Trail Attacks that came on my KTM 1190 (Great in dry / terrifying in wet - so much so I vouched never to buy another Continental tyre ever again) went to Roadsmart 3's and they seem really good, wearing very well - hard to compare though as I did a lot of two-up on the Yamaha and none on the KTM.

Got a part worn set of Roadsmart 1's from the S10 fitted to my V-Strom 650 hack, and the Mrs has Roadsmart 2's on her TDM900.....

... I have not tried any other modern rubber, got another KTM on the way but not sure what it will arrive with - hoping not the same Trail Attacks as on my 1190 as they would have to be ditched right away.

Strange that, I thought the TA2's were very good on my 1190 and never had a problem with them in the wet. I have put Scorpion trail 2's on my 1290 which I think are excellent in all conditions, and give good mileage as well.

My 2010 Super Tenere came with Bridgestone Trailwings. The bike was transformed when I changed to PR3 Trail. The bike had PR4 Trail on it when I sold it. These performed as well as the PR3 but I did not ride enough miles on these to determine if they would last longer, as the advertising claimed.

Since selling the S10 I have become a convert to Avon tyres. I had Storm 2 as replacements to the OE Dunlops on my Tracer and have fitted Storm 3D to my R1200RS. Both of these are excellent tyres which are still available even though Avon have launched another sport touring tyre, the Spirit ST.

A Triumph Explorer has replaced the Tracer. I'm not in love with the Metzeler Tourance Next on this and will switch to Avons in due course. Avon tyres seem to have a lower price than other makes from Chris Mullins in Gloucester so the value/grip/wear ratio is very favourable.

Put Bridgestone A40s on mine in June 2016 because they were recommended to me by Steve at F&B and they were on special offer. Not bad a pair of new tyres for £130 fitted.

These were changed after 9k miles in May 2017 by A40s again because the offer was back on....not quite as good at £158 fitted. These are just over 9k now and although plenty of tread left, have squared off after a trip to Norway

As you can see they last well and they are above my capabilities in both the wet and dry.

I'll be looking for new tyres for 2018 and I'll consider A40s again if the price is right.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom