After the 4.90 update

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After reading Wapping's post about how his nav6 was recalculating at will I thought I would do a test of my own after doing the 4.90 update. Previously I'd been a Montana user so I never bothered with any routes just loaded the track up and followed it or just put in a destination, but the nav6 works a little different to the montana.
The 4.90 update seems to have solved a lot of issues, especially with connections to iPhone for music and the MP3 player, I have loaded most of my music onto the sdcard and previous to the up date it wouldn't always connect the media player to my sena10s now it connects every time and I can switch between iPhone and sdcard music source with no issue.
As for the routing I like to plan most of my trips/routes on basecamp and then just transfer it to the nav6, I don't do much route planning on the unit directly, if I do I just tend to put in a destination that I may want to see and let it calculate it out.
So today I built a route on basecamp from mine to Norwich, 20miles or so, added in 2 waypoints that were slightly off the route I would take so I deliberately missed them to see what happened.

I had the unit set to prompt for recalculating and the auto-skip waypoint box ticked.

1. Home to waypoint 2, I had to get fuel on the way which took me off the planned route a fraction, it asked me if I wanted to recalculate I said no and it just did exactly that. Filled up with fuel and started the bike and the nav6 was still acting as I wanted it to with the magenta preplanned route still showing if I zoomed out far enough. I then clicked on the blue top banner and it brought up the route with the waypoints on, I selected continue which it replied with "please drive to highlighted route" I then got back to the route myself (it didn't put a route up for me to follow to get back on the planned route if that makes sense)

2. Waypoint 2, this is where it gets interesting, I followed the route until I deliberately missed waypoint 2, it asked me if I wanted to recalculate as it should and I said no.

Now at this point I was expecting it to auto skip the 2nd waypoint I deliberately missed and direct me to waypoint 3 as the auto skip waypoint box was ticked but it didn't, should it have??

3. Waypoint 3, to get it to continue giving me directions I had to go into the route via the blue top banner and choose the next waypoint then it started to give me directions but most importantly it didn't change the original route sent from basecamp which I like it just continued on it. When I missed waypoint 3 it asked me if I wanted it to reroute and I said yes, it then rerouted me back to waypoint 3 not the final destination and made no other changes apart from getting me to make sure I got to waypoint 3.

4. Final destination, after leaving waypoint 3 it was still keeping me on the original route I sent it from Basecamp until I got to my destination.

5. Findings, on the whole this works exactly as I want it too, I haven't used shaping points yet so not sure how that will work when rerouting but I think it will just try to get you back to the magenta line as quickly as it can.

I just can't get my head around the auto skip waypoint tick box, I had it ticked thinking it would skip waypoint 2 after I went past it and asked it to recalculate but it made me go back to it, this is what I would expect if the box wasn't ticked. If it was ticked I would expect it to direct you to the next waypoint, any ideas??

I did a google and whilst this is an older link for zumo 390 or 590 it may or may not be a valid answer
https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/tV4foaJuv01Jv1mMHJWmV9

Shaping points are waypoints which can be added to a custom route to direct an automotive device to use specific roads when navigating the route. For information on shaping points and which devices support them, see the related content.

If a shaping point needs to be skipped during navigation, there are two ways to do so.

The first is to ignore the device temporarily until you merge back onto your custom route. If your device recognizes that you are in a position that is further along in your custom route, it will automatically skip any shaping points which you have passed, and will continue navigating to your upcoming waypoints or shaping points. This will only occur with shaping points. Your device will not automatically skip waypoints in your custom route unless you navigate to them.

The second is the Skip function on your device. This will instruct your device to skip the next upcoming waypoint or shaping point in a custom route.

To skip an upcoming waypoint or shaping point in a custom route:

Touch View Map
Touch the Menu button (three horizontal lines)
Touch Skip
The device will skip the next planned waypoint or shaping point in the route. The Skip function is not available on all devices.

I saw that answer as well, just the nav6 has an auto skip waypoint tick box in its navigation menu, presuming it means you don't have to have or press the skip waypoint button while riding, if it doesn't work whats the point of having it?

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11175
Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.90
Fixed issue where the Automatic Skip Waypoint feature would skip all remaining points in a route

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?88727-Navigator-VI-(Nav-VI)-Tips-and-Tricks/page5
2) On "other" Garmin devices, lets say you already passed SP1 when you chose to "skip waypoint". This will skip SP2 and take you to SP3, and so on and so forth. Effectively allowing full control over skipping WAYPOINTS or SHAPING POINTS, either manually (by clicking the Skip button on the Map screen) or automatically by riding past the WAYPOINT or SHAPING POINT. The BMW Navigator VI with FW 4.90 does NOT do this.

3) The "Automatically Skip WAYPOINTS" feature has stopped working. As a consequence, even missed SHAPING POINTS will not be automatically skipped AND cannot be manually skipped, so if you miss one, the Navigator VI will constantly try to redirect you back to the missed SHAPING POINT until the end of your trip if you are heading to the END with any SHAPING POINTS before the END (but after the last WAYPOINT). For missed WAYPOINTS you now have to manually click the SKIP button each time which is somewhat of a safety issue.

There is more in the same thread about the ongoing issue and ticket raised

Why is it trying to route me back to something I have passed?? Is it because I haven't gone far enough past the waypoint for it to assume I don't want to stop at that waypoint?

Or are we expecting another update soon?

Im assuming from reading the other thread it doesn't work unless you manually cancel the waypoint so the fix still needs fixing

Re-reading it I think you are correct, I will report it to Garmin, the more reports they get the quicker they act.

Thanks for your work on this, GB

Comments on your findings below:

So today I built a route on basecamp from mine to Norwich, 20miles or so, added in 2 waypoints that were slightly off the route I would take so I deliberately missed them to see what happened.

I had the unit set to prompt for recalculating and the auto-skip waypoint box ticked.

1. Home to waypoint 2, I had to get fuel on the way which took me off the planned route a fraction, it asked me if I wanted to recalculate I said no and it just did exactly that. Filled up with fuel and started the bike and the nav6 was still acting as I wanted it to with the magenta preplanned route still showing if I zoomed out far enough. I then clicked on the blue top banner and it brought up the route with the waypoints on, I selected continue which it replied with "please drive to highlighted route" I then got back to the route myself (it didn't put a route up for me to follow to get back on the planned route if that makes sense)

COMMENT: This seems to be working properly

2. Waypoint 2, this is where it gets interesting, I followed the route until I deliberately missed waypoint 2, it asked me if I wanted to recalculate as it should and I said no.

Now at this point I was expecting it to auto skip the 2nd waypoint I deliberately missed and direct me to waypoint 3 as the auto skip waypoint box was ticked but it didn't, should it have??

COMMENT: This now seems to be working properly.

You had turned the ‘Autoskip waypoint’ on, so you would expect it to skip the waypoint if you missed it out. But you also had your prompt set to ‘Let me choose, yes or no’ and you chose no.

Before the update, the ‘Autoskip waypoint’ setting trumped the ‘Let me chose, yes or no’ setting, so the device always skipped a waypoint if you missed it out. This was annoying if, as was the case with me when I discovered the problem, you are taken off a planned route by a detour before you reached the waypoint. The device would not allow you to say ‘no don’t recacalute’.

From what you say, it seems that the instruction ‘Do not recalculate’ now trumps the ‘Automaticaly skip waypoints’ setting. If that’s correct, it’s an improvement.

3. Waypoint 3, to get it to continue giving me directions I had to go into the route via the blue top banner and choose the next waypoint then it started to give me directions but most importantly it didn't change the original route sent from basecamp which I like it just continued on it. When I missed waypoint 3 it asked me if I wanted it to reroute and I said yes, it then rerouted me back to waypoint 3 not the final destination and made no other changes apart from getting me to make sure I got to waypoint 3.

COMMENT: This, as you say, is an improvement. I agree, I like it too.

4. Final destination, after leaving waypoint 3 it was still keeping me on the original route I sent it from Basecamp until I got to my destination.

COMMENT: This is how I’d expect the device to work

5. Findings, on the whole this works exactly as I want it too, I haven't used shaping points yet so not sure how that will work when rerouting but I think it will just try to get you back to the magenta line as quickly as it can.

COMMENT: I agree with you

I just can't get my head around the auto skip waypoint tick box, I had it ticked thinking it would skip waypoint 2 after I went past it and asked it to recalculate but it made me go back to it, this is what I would expect if the box wasn't ticked. If it was ticked I would expect it to direct you to the next waypoint, any ideas??

COMMENT: From your description in point two, I think you chose ‘no, don’t recalculate’.

If I am correct, your instruction to the device not to recalculate, trumped the autoskip wayoint instruction.

Had you chosen yes, I think it would have skipped the waypoint and made a recalution to take you to waypoint three, hopefully by picking up your pre-planned route at the next shaping point

Thanks for your comments, I’m pretty sure you’re correct on them. The reason I choose not to recalculate is that the units tend to recalculate the complete route different from what I had built on basecamp, all I want the unit to do is recalculate to the next waypoint not the whole route. I need to try this with a longer route made on basecamp that is not the fastest or shortest route and see what happens.

Like you, I plot most of my routes out in BaseCamp, rarely asking the device alone to take me from A to D, via B and C.

Like you, I set the device to prompt me as to whether I’d like to recalculate yes or no. Like you, I most usually chose no, preferring to get myself back on to the route I’d made should I leave it for whatever reasons.

I think the update in the software has fixed the glitch whereby the ‘autoskip waypoints’ being turned on, trumped everything else, including secondary instructions not to recalculate. Irrespective, I’ll probably leave the ‘Auto skip waypoints’ option turned off, continue to plot my own routes in BaseCamp and leave the ‘Off route, recalculate yes or no’ option turned on, most often selecting, no.

Look forward to hearing what else you find out.

Done some more testing today, similar scenario, plotted the route on basecamp and sent it to the nav6. This time I had a start, 3 waypoints and a finish. I set the unit to auto recalculate with the auto skip feature ticked. Deliberately missed the first waypoint, after passing it by enough distance the units top blue ribbon turned orange and started to count down as it reroutes to the next waypoint. This went well and worked exactly how I wanted it too. It didn’t change any part of the route I’d planned apart from getting me to the next waypoint. Once back on route I left auto recalculate on but unticked the auto skip waypoint box. This time after missing the next waypoint it continually tried to reroute me back to the waypoint I’d missed. I think this is what you would expect if you don’t want to auto skip the waypoints. This is where I came across a slight problem, I reticked the auto skip waypoint box but the unit refused to skip the waypoint I missed with it unticked. All I can think of is once the unit tries to reroute you back to the waypoint you’ve missed it ignores your request to auto skip. My advice is either leave it ticked or unticked but don’t alter it mid route as you can’t rely on it working the way you want it too.
On the whole it’s working really well now.

In the second scenario it may need to go past the way point even if by a small margin for the skip to work,It would seem to consider this your desired destination hence why it would not reroute.

Possibly, I hadn't thought of that, but if its your last waypoint before your destination you don't have another waypoint to pass to make it auto skip.

Gents, after the 4.90 update do I assume that the Nav 6 has the same features as the Zumo 595?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, totally different base system. Still the same as it was.

Back
Top Bottom