Independent volunteer based training for IAM or ROSPA tests

harry the cat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of any independent volunteer based groups who train people up for either ROSPA or IAM tests or both. I'm aware one existed in Humberside a couple of years ago and I've PM'd Wrinkley Owlie to see if that's still in existence (wake up Steve!).

I'm not talking about commercial enterprises here please, just organisations that do the work on a voluntary basis.

Thanks in advance.

YES! The training is all free, done by volunteers for the good of all motorcyclists who are motivated to improve their riding skills. Even if you've been driving for years and think you have nothing to learn.
See here https://www.iamroadsmart.com/about-us/faqs

Your £149 is the price of the test, a copy of IAM Roadsmart (a simplified version of the Police Roadcraft Handbook) a years membership of the IAM and your local group. You will get a year's worth of mentoring, most people are test ready after 6 sessions if they've put the work in.
I believe ROSPA is equally as good.

If you do it, it will transform your riding (unless of course you are so good that you have nothing to learn...)

Do it, it's great fun, stay on afterwards and enjoy some great rides in company if that is your thing.

YES! The training is all free, done by volunteers for the good of all motorcyclists who are motivated to improve their riding skills. Even if you've been driving for years and think you have nothing to learn.
See here https://www.iamroadsmart.com/about-us/faqs

Your £149 is the price of the test, a copy of IAM Roadsmart (a simplified version of the Police Roadcraft Handbook) a years membership of the IAM and your local group. You will get a year's worth of mentoring, most people are test ready after 6 sessions if they've put the work in.
I believe ROSPA is equally as good.

If you do it, it will transform your riding (unless of course you are so good that you have nothing to learn...)

Do it, it's great fun, stay on afterwards and enjoy some great rides in company if that is your thing.

Likewise not independent. They key thing I’m looking for is independence. I.E. not affiliated to the IAM or ROSPA.

I'm not talking about commercial enterprises here please, just organisations that do the work on a voluntary basis.

Thanks in advance.

Reading between the lines here, (and I could be wrong), but you're looking for advanced training (with a view to taking one of the two civilian tests available), but you don't want to be part of any of those two training programmes! Is that right?

Reading between the lines here, (and I could be wrong), but you're looking for advanced training (with a view to taking one of the two civilian tests available), but you don't want to be part of any of those two training programmes! Is that right?

Wrong. But nice try. i already have a National Observer qualification with one of the two groups. It's research.

If you want advanced rider training outwith IAM and RoSPA then you have two choices ...

1. Join the Polis and hope to get on bikes. :hide
2. Pay for individual tuition from someone like Giles or Micky of this parish. Independent but payment will be required of course.

If you are put off IAM by its "great I am" image, I am told that the quality of tuition and general approach varies greatly from group to group and indeed from Observer to Observer. Some discrete inquiries (inviting PMs maybe) might be the way to go?

You want Advanced Riding for Bikers , they are based in Hull . They will train you to advanced standard and you can take Rospa IAM or their own test

If you want advanced rider training outwith IAM and RoSPA then you have two choices ...

1. Join the Polis and hope to get on bikes. :hide
2. Pay for individual tuition from someone like Giles or Micky of this parish. Independent but payment will be required of course.

If you are put off IAM by its "great I am" image, I am told that the quality of tuition and general approach varies greatly from group to group and indeed from Observer to Observer. Some discrete inquiries (inviting PMs maybe) might be the way to go?

I've done the 'Polis'. Too old to go back. Besides they're shedding bikers quicker than a dog shaking off fleas for cost cutting reasons. Anyone joining up in the hope of being a biker is whistling in the wind.
I'm already in the IAM. You're right about the variable quality. All I will say is that our group does it's best to avoid any ego issues but we do tend to take the piss a bit.

I'm not looking for training for me although you can never have too much training;)

Satisfy our curiosity - would you care to elaborate on why you are asking

I too would be interested to know what your interest is.

The target of non-commercial and voluntary but not aligned to IAM or RoSPA is going to be a fairly small pool (and begs the question WHY?)

Satisfy our curiosity - would you care to elaborate on why you are asking

Maybe the same as the way our club is run, it's good to gain information from other sources.

Even as National Observers we have done Bikesafe courses as a student, can pick up some useful tips and training methods.

Sometimes knowledge is diluted as it is passed from Observer to new Observer and myths and bad habits start to creep in, re- evaluation of Observers does help to keep the standard high, but "mystery shopper" training is a cheap way to up your game.

"mystery shopper" training is a cheap way to up your game.

This is something I do and find it helps, my last one was with Nigel Bowers (Advanced Biker) covering forward planning, brilliant day and plenty taken away to add to what I introduce to associates - :thumb

This is something I do and find it helps, my last one was with Nigel Bowers (Advanced Biker) covering forward planning, brilliant day and plenty taken away to add to what I introduce to associates - :thumb

Would also recommend Nigel wholeheartedly -top man . . . (apart from being a friend of Redrick's of course):D

I don't think you'd pass the interview nowadays .... :D

I think you may be right Giles.

I think my attitude and lack of respect for the fine details of the rule book might count against me. My era was closer to Life on Mars than the current regime.:D

Back
Top Bottom