Wallonia... aka the Belgian Ardennes -

Wapping

Reaction score
Quite a nice route, along with hotel suggestions in the latest ALPENTOURER magazine.

Would suit anyone looking for say a long weekend or a short week.

6534480ba3fed4337297985b7834b5ca.jpg

23b1a200046c7c495a359641751aa4f1.jpg

I'm going for a few days just before Easter. Probably stay a few nights in Vianden, which is in that squiggly bit in the lowest map. I did something similar in Easter 2016, spending a few nights in Clervaux. Belgium is lovely but the absence of a proper government for a long time means they do seem to be way behind in repairing roads. The roads in Luxembourg are much smoother and nicer to ride on and very scenic in places.

These short weeks you mention: what are they then? I've always thought a week is a fixed period of 7 days. If short weeks exist, can I substitute some of these tedious working weeks for shorter ones?

Short week, I made up.

Something less than seven but more than four.... or indeed, anything you like.

Awesome, bruv. But wots wiv all the text in gibberish? What they on about?

The close together squiggly lines from Clervaux - second map in post #1 - are possible to decipher by zooming in, using a decent map and a bit of imagination. Also, use the links in the ADAC map sticky.

Great area, spoiled by the quality of the roads. The area around La Roche en Ardenne is very nice but the road conditions are terrible. Worse than U.K. if that’s possible

Great area, spoiled by the quality of the roads. The area around La Roche en Ardenne is very nice but the road conditions are terrible. Worse than U.K. if that’s possible

But you is on an adventure bike dude. Rough roads, trails and Carrefours are all grist to your adventure mill!

Andres

I intend to be in and around that area this summer as I haven’t been there since ‘91 on my TDM850.

I intend to be in and around that area this summer as I haven’t been there since ‘91 on my TDM850.

A TDM would be spot on for that area; a true, go anywhere ; do anything bike.:beerjug:

Then take the motorway..... or get your suspension set up.... :D

PS It’s really not the ‘Road of bones’

:beerjug:

PPS If it’s all doable on an SP1 or HP4, a GS will (should) steam it.

The close together squiggly lines from Clervaux - second map in post #1 - are possible to decipher by zooming in, using a decent map and a bit of imagination. Also, use the links in the ADAC map sticky.

Shortcut to ADAC sticky:

Update October 2016

Good news day! I have found them, hidden away:

https://www.adac.de/reise_freizeit/motorrad/

Scroll down and click on Tourenkarten, mehr. Then click on the PDF links.

I'm not sure whether these are the same maps, different, updated or what. But download them quick before they vanish again! They look a little different (in style at least) but look good either way. Worry not that they have a picture of a car on the front; they are free! * edit

There are 13 PDF's in all, numbered oddly 1 to 14. Whether one is missing or (because of superstition) ADAC missed out 13 or if they simply misnumbered one along the way I have no idea and I'm in no great hurry to find out. As before, the PDF's download really well into iBook and display well on a big iPad.

Have fun, you can't break it.

Richard

Sample PDF map, converted into a jpeg:

9ae0d1eeab8d1af832c3e280a87fa46c.jpg

=================

Edit:

* I have now looked at the Swiss and the Trentino maps, just as as a sample. They look much the same routes as the original version. Use with confidence.

Can’t be faffed or arsed? OK, here’s the link to the Ardennes / Eifel / Luxembourg ADAC map:

https://www.adac.de/_mmm/pdf/TK_10_Eifel_ Luxemburg_210807.pdf

Back
Top Bottom